• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

The "I'm with Scott" Narrative

After 21 games, do you still have confidence Scott will turn this program around

• Yes

Votes: 109 76.8%
  • No

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • I have my doubts

Votes: 28 19.7%

• Total voters

36Blast

Chop Block Connoisseur
5 Year Member
I'll be the first to say it, my patience has already run thin with this team. I think there is a ton of frustration right now and folks have every reason to be ticked off. With that said, I truly believe Scott is the right man for the job. I really do. And almost to a man here at HM, everyone seems to express those same feelings.

But there are many who fail to point out anything they feel he is doing well. Even some of the most prominent posters are sounding off negatively....and sounding off about almost every aspect of this team.

"There are too many injuries" (S&C has some issues)
"Playcalling is terrible"
"Red Zone playcalling is even worse"
"Player management is lacking"(Luke and Rhamir getting 1 play in a game)
"Player matchups don't exist" (rolling out the same LBs onpassing downs).
"Coaches continue to roll out the same guys who are error repeaters"
"There is no development"
"The team lacks effort"

Many of these complaints are legit. But if a coaching staff is guilty of all that's listed above, do we really have as much faith in Scott as many declare?

Just take a look at recent thread titles. It seems to me there aren't as many people here who are on board with Scott. Or are they just the squeaky wheels? So how about a poll to see what the true makeup looks like?

Last edited:
I still want to believe Frost is the right guy to fix this mess and get us back to something that at least loosely resembles what we used to be. But with minimal progress and improvement through 21 games, I have some doubt. The onfield play and results are still "Riley bad".

I don't think it has to be so black and white. I have faith that Scott is the one to turn this thing around. And I also think that even though SF is a great coach and has a great resume, there was a little bit of a learning curve coming into the B1G, and probably more of one than he anticipated. Yes I know he played for and against great teams, but from a HEAD COACH perspective, this is the biggest task he's taken on, and IMO it was more difficult than he thought. It is going to take some time for him to learn what works, what doesn't work, etc. Alongside that, NU has changed A LOT from his days as a player here to now. That's just the cold hard truth. It's not unreasonable to question some of Scott's decision-making while still believing he is the man for the job. But in reality, what do we know? With the exception of a couple of posters who have the opportunity to be closer to the program and get more insight, everything on this board is pure opinion/speculation/subjective. We don't know squat, but it's fun to debate.

Behind Scott 100%. You don't fix something this broken in 2 years. We have talented players on this team but not enough of them and unless you are recruiting power with top talent clamoring to play for your program you don't fix this in 2 years. Many of the holes we had on this team at the beginning of the year are the same holes now and some new holes have developed. Those holes don't usually get fixed during the year. It might take several years to get the players needed at all positions.

Play calling may be bad but maybe those same plays might work better if players executed their assignments or if we had more talent at more positions.

I'm not saying it's all on the players either. Scott and his staff are making their fair share of mistakes too. But bailing on coaches every couple years is not the answer. I think we really need to give Scott plenty of time and give recruits some confidence that they might actually play for their coach through their whole career.

Whether in medicine or business, your success addressing illness is best if you can treat the disease rather than the symptom(s). Although, in some cases treating symptoms becomes the only viable option. When that occurs you know, as a professional, the eventual outcome is going to be less-than desired, and you establish contingency plans.

The bullet points you list above are all symptoms of an underlying problem, or disease. That is where my issue with our program resonate. The overall leadership manifests itself through the actions of players, again some of the symptoms you list above. Roster mismanagement, drug use, receivers not running disciplined routes, player effort, etc., are all indicators that something is inherently wrong. Culture starts and stops at the top with a mission, vision and values that define your objectives. You cultivate that agenda with strict discipline - rewarding those who adhere and teach those who don’t why they should (the length of that runway is the leader’s choice).

Therein lies the disease that continues to present itself over and over in the results we all see. Don’t tell me about practices or what we are going to be. Prove it by progress on the field of play. The rest is nothing more than wordsmith.

While I support Scott and hope he learns quickly, the statement that if he cannot do it, nobody can, is pure garbage. There are solid leaders out there who can resurrect a program with measurable results on the field, if Scott cannot get it done.

GBR.

I'll be the first to say it, my patience has already run thin with this team. I think there is a ton of frustration right now and folks have every reason to be ticked off. With that said, I truly believe Scott is the right man for the job. I really do. And almost to a man here at HM, everyone seems to express those same feelings.

But there are many who fail to point out anything they feel he is doing well. Even some of the most prominent posters are sounding off negatively....and sounding off about almost every aspect of this team.

"There are too many injuries" (S&C has some issues)
"Playcalling is terrible"
"Red Zone playcalling is even worse"
"Player management is lacking"(Luke and Rhamir getting 1 play in a games)
"Player matchups don't exist" (rolling out the same LBs onpassing downs).
"Coaches continue to roll out the same guys who are error repeaters"
"There is no development"
"The team lacks effort"

Many of these complaints are legit. But if a coaching staff is guilty of all that's listed above, do we really have as much faith in Scott as many declare?

Just take a look at recent thread titles. It seems to me there aren't as many people here who are on board with Scott. Or are they just the squeaky wheels? So how about a poll to see what the true makeup looks like?

All the things you mention are things that every fan says about every team that has ever struggled in the history of organized sports. For example,

play calling? When a play works, its genius. When it doesn't, the coach is a moron.

Playing the same guys and putting them into coverage on passing downs and player matchups? We have who we have. There is little depth on this team and the staff has obviously taken the position that they are not going to burn redshirts and throw young guys to the wolves. They did burn several, out of necessity, but they are trying to build for the future.

No development? How do we know? There are a ton of players we haven't even seen play yet that are the future of the program. As was noted on a local show, almost half of Riley's last and Frost's first recruiting classes left the program. Given that usually only 50% of recruits actually pan out, this means we have a huge hole in our roster for those two year groups.

Team lacks effort? Sometimes that does seem to be the case. More often than not, you see players trying to make things happen. But, it's tough to be part of a team that struggles the way this team has the last few years. These losses have to be taking a toll on the players' motivation. I guess we, as fans, should make sure that we are sending the message that we are still 100% behind them as they work through this slump.

All the things you mention are things that every fan says about every team that has ever struggled in the history of organized sports. For example,

play calling? When a play works, its genius. When it doesn't, the coach is a moron.

Playing the same guys and putting them into coverage on passing downs and player matchups? We have who we have. There is little depth on this team and the staff has obviously taken the position that they are not going to burn redshirts and throw young guys to the wolves. They did burn several, out of necessity, but they are trying to build for the future.

No development? How do we know? There are a ton of players we haven't even seen play yet that are the future of the program. As was noted on a local show, almost half of Riley's last and Frost's first recruiting classes left the program. Given that usually only 50% of recruits actually pan out, this means we have a huge hole in our roster for those two year groups.

Team lacks effort? Sometimes that does seem to be the case. More often than not, you see players trying to make things happen. But, it's tough to be part of a team that struggles the way this team has the last few years. These losses have to be taking a toll on the players' motivation. I guess we, as fans, should make sure that we are sending the message that we are still 100% behind them as they work through this slump.
All those quotes werent mine. They are quotes from a fanbase that sees many flaws in Scott right now, hence the question. "Do people still believe he will turn around the program?" I actually agree with a lot of what you state. Many dont.

Last edited:
Of course there will be a new coach after Scott Frost leaves, whether Scott is successful or not. It is in our best interest to do everything we can to help SF be successful, including giving him sufficient time that we will not be seen by the coaching world as a place you don't want any part of due to unrealistic fan expectations.

We are in a rebuild project now.

Last edited:
I think Frost is the best person for this job at this time. I answered that I do have my doubts simply from what we have seen thus far. I'm not sure anyone can honestly say with unrelenting faith that he will get the job done, especially from what we have seen up until this point. I believe he has an extremely long leash, and it is likely that he will make the team competitive again.

Last edited:

All those quotes werent mine. They are quotes from a fanbase that sees many flaws in Scott right now, hence the question. "Do people still believe he will tur around the program." I actually agree with a lot of what you state. Many dont.

I get what you are saying and wasn't necessarily attributing them to you. I just wanted to comment on them. I understand why fans feel the way they do, and i'm as guilty as anyone in finding fault in everything when the team is struggling. But we as fans better start being as mentally tough as we expect the coaches and players to be because the rest of his year may not look pretty. But the rebuild continues in the Spring, or maybe even in December if we beat expectations and pull off two wins.

Of course there will be a new coach after Scott Frost leaves, whether Scott is successful or not. It is in our best interest to do everything we can to help SF be successful, including giving him sufficient time that we will not be seen by the coaching world as a place you don't want any part of due to unrealistic fan expectations.

We are in a rebuild project now.
You summed up my feelings exactly

Whether in medicine or business, your success addressing illness is best if you can treat the disease rather than the symptom(s). Although, in some cases treating symptoms becomes the only viable option. When that occurs you know, as a professional, the eventual outcome is going to be less-than desired, and you establish contingency plans.

The bullet points you list above are all symptoms of an underlying problem, or disease. That is where my issue with our program resonate. The overall leadership manifests itself through the actions of players, again some of the symptoms you list above. Roster mismanagement, drug use, receivers not running disciplined routes, player effort, etc., are all indicators that something is inherently wrong. Culture starts and stops at the top with a mission, vision and values that define your objectives. You cultivate that agenda with strict discipline - rewarding those who adhere and teach those who don’t why they should (the length of that runway is the leader’s choice).

Therein lies the disease that continues to present itself over and over in the results we all see. Don’t tell me about practices or what we are going to be. Prove it by progress on the field of play. The rest is nothing more than wordsmith.

While I support Scott and hope he learns quickly, the statement that if he cannot do it, nobody can, is pure garbage. There are solid leaders out there who can resurrect a program with measurable results on the field, if Scott cannot get it done.

GBR.

It’s the culture issues that have come as a surprise under Frost thus far. It’s not the tight ship I expected.

A culture of discipline as you described it manifests itself on the field in the form of solid fundamentals - tackling, holding blocks with consistent effort, setting the edge, minding the right gap, crisp route running, playing to the whistle, etc. In short, doing your job.

The fundamentals have been inconsistent, and that is a culture issue, not a “Frost needs his guys” issue.

I’m still with Frost, but he has a lot of learning and growing to do. I think next year could be messy again but 2021 is when we’ll start to see results.

GET TICKETS

Back