• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

The "I'm with Scott" Narrative

After 21 games, do you still have confidence Scott will turn this program around

• Yes

Votes: 109 76.8%
  • No

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • I have my doubts

Votes: 28 19.7%

• Total voters
Fair enough. I like your honesty. I was orginally on a three year plan to be competitive again. Obviously off the mark. I think it will probably take three years after this one. The thing that frustrates me most right now is there's no discernable improvement. My faith is that there are things happening behind the scenes that we don't see that are going to change that around. I just hope it's soon.
it is the lack of discernible improvement that drives me nuts and has dumped a sense of reality in our lap. we will be very lucky to win 6 games next year because this staff has not shown us that they can coach kids up.

it is the lack of discernible improvement that drives me nuts and has dumped a sense of reality in our lap. we will be very lucky to win 6 games next year because this staff has not shown us that they can coach kids up.
I just hope they can coach up these ultra-talented underclassmen.

It’s the culture issues that have come as a surprise under Frost thus far. It’s not the tight ship I expected.

A culture of discipline as you described it manifests itself on the field in the form of solid fundamentals - tackling, holding blocks with consistent effort, setting the edge, minding the right gap, crisp route running, playing to the whistle, etc. In short, doing your job.

The fundamentals have been inconsistent, and that is a culture issue, not a “Frost needs his guys” issue.

I’m still with Frost, but he has a lot of learning and growing to do. I think next year could be messy again but 2021 is when we’ll start to see results.

Perhaps with all the attrition happening already, SF can't simply get rid of the people he needs to in order to have that "tight ship"....in the end, he was trying to win 6 games and be bowl eligible. Maybe there are more Hunts, LeGrones, etc that would be gone if this was year 5?

You guys act like Frost has some magic elixir that will kick in any minute. If you can’t get a team to play hard coming off a bye week then you have to wonder. Frost is sharp and driven. But, he’s also young and still learning how to lead a team.

Ripping the current group as not being good enough doesn’t serve anyone but the coaching staff. Players In those crosshairs don’t feel the need to give maximum effort.

I'm guessing you played and had you been ripped, wouldn't have given maximum effort in the next game?? I played and it would have made me play harder.....but that may just be one of the differences between us?

I'm guessing you played and had you been ripped, wouldn't have given maximum effort in the next game?? I played and it would have made me play harder.....but that may just be one of the differences between us?

Frost saying "the schemes work.....we just need to recruit better players" to the press is not "ripping' the players. It's saying we are going to suck until we have new players. It was an excuse after a painful loss, and I'm certain Frost would like a do-over.

Standards and expectations for performance have to set for this team....the team Frost has right now. You can't set the standard based on players who are coming in the future. It's like telling a sales guy....sell more than the guy I'm hiring next year.

Last edited:
From recent threads and discussions I've had with other posters on this forum it seems there is no middle ground: you either have to be blindly loyal to Frost or adamantly against him. Any mention of concern or doubt immediately gets you labeled as anti-Frost....
I think the only people who feel that way are the real sensitive ones. 75% of people who answered this poll believe in Frost. I bet my house 95% of those 75% have criticized Frost about one thing or another.

Last edited:
So far 20% whiners and 80% waiters (as in wait and see). We haven't been relevant for a long long time, I think I will shelter in place and wait a little longer. I think there's a big ol pot of gold awaiting at the end of the rainbow after this long storm.

The "Nebraska Way" is what Scott was hired to bring back to DONU:
1. S&C: that takes at least 2-3 years to have an impact on player development.
2. The walk on program: Unique to DONU, developing players that fill gaps in recruiting and the depth chart, even more critical in the 85 scholarship era. These kids also take 2-3 years in S&C to gain benefit as has been seen in the Devaney and Dr. Tom eras.
3. Continuity of staff: By definition, that means having the same staff working with the position groups for several years in a row so it means at least 2-4 years before "continuity" works its magic.

Will he get this done, yes.
Will it take longer than any of us want: yes.
Is Scott younger, less experienced Head Coach than we thought: Yes

If Scott cant get us back to DONU football then we may as well withdraw from the Big Ten and go play Division III or whatever they call that now.

GBR

Frost saying "the schemes work.....we just need to recruit better players" to the press is not "ripping' the players. It's saying we are going to suck until we have new players. It was an excuse after a painful lose, and I'm certain Frost would like a do-over.

Standards and expectations for performance have to set for this team....the team Frost has right now. You can't set the standard based on players who are coming in the future. It's like telling a sales guy....sell more than the guy I'm hiring next year.
My biggest issue is the fact that Frost leaves guys in that are clearly showing no effort or not caring. IMO, you don't give any effort on a play? Come have a seat on the bench. Too many false starts? Come have a seat. I understand we're still trying to get to a bowl game, so maybe we aren't seeing this happen. I also understand there's a fine line between running a tight ship and making players scared to screw up. I think a good coach can find the balance here and make his players understand the reason he coaches like this.

I think there are some things he hasn't done well. I'd rather he let Moos talk about the poor condition of the program. There are some signs that there might be some guys who are perceived as favorites. Some parts of the team have regressed.

On the other hand, is it coincidence that the parts of the team coached by the guy that fought cancer most of the last year are lagging? Is it shocking the offense struggles when the OL is young and has guys playing out of position? I'm a little surprised Mills hasn't been better but the are the OL issues and the fact Mills didn't get to Lincoln until summer are factors.

I think Frost is still the guy. Next year needs to be better. The OL should be a lot better just by having a second true tackle available so Farniok can play guard and improvement from Jurgens. I'd expect the offense to improve a fair bit next year just because of the line improving. Defense could be an adventure. It's not where we'd like it to be but it's too soon to panic. And the rise might be more gradual than meteoric.

Last edited:
Currently we have more questions then answers and probably more faith then facts. I still believe SF can get it done but he also needs to carefully evaulate everything that's been done up to this point in time. There are aspects of the program that are working imo while others not so much. A good coach figures out what works and what doesn't work then adjusts his coaching techniques to what works! Frost is a inexperienced HC and at times it's shown in places like game management and yes play calling. What was very successful at UCF might not ever work well in the Big 10.

He does need more time but it's also important to demonstrate some progress next season. Perhaps even this season with at least 3 games left. I believe it's extremely difficult to attract top recruits to a program that can't even play .500 ball and get to a bowl game. If we do miss a bowl this season I think it's a real setback that's going to negatively impact recruiting.

I'd like to see this team rebound, beat Maryland and pull off and upset of either WI or IA. Yes the odds are against it but it would certainly send a message that Nebraska ain't dead yet!

I have confidence he will get it done but apparently it will take longer then I thought. He either needs smarter players or he needs to change his teaching methods because they sure make a lot of dumb mistakes.

GET TICKETS

Back