• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

(OT - nba) The Greatest Prospect in the History of Team Sports?

While I'm a Sixers fan first, the Spurs are the one team in Texas I will pull for. That'll be a helluva tough ticket.

Webmanyana’s upside is that of Giannis, right now he looks a lot like Chet Holmgren.

If either of those guys went up against Shaq in his prime, he’d break them in half.

Webmanyana’s upside is that of Giannis, right now he looks a lot like Chet Holmgren.

If either of those guys went up against Shaq in his prime, he’d break them in half.

Prime years Shaq would break any teenager in half.

Shaq only weighed 20 pounds more than Webmanyama coming out of high school. Shaq had put on 95 pounds by his last year in the NBA.

I doubt Webmanyama is looking to put on 95 pounds. Maybe half that. Today's centers are a completely different breed from Shaq. Webmanyama can actually hit free throws (80% to this point).

Prime years Shaq would break any teenager in half.

Shaq only weighed 20 pounds more than Webmanyama coming out of high school. Shaq had put on 95 pounds by his last year in the NBA.

I doubt Webmanyama is looking to put on 95 pounds. Maybe half that. Today's centers are a completely different breed from Shaq. Webmanyama can actually hit free throws (80% to this point).
Sure centers in today's NBA are a different breed but can you envision Webmanyama staying with Jokic or Embid, Gobert, Siakim, Adebayo, Brook Lopez? He isn't physically capable of hanging with those guys.

I understand he has a lot of growth - look at pictures of Giannis pre-NBA and currently.
I also suspect Webmanyama projects as a stretch 4 rather than a center but even then him on a Giannis, Durant, Butler is laughable at the moment.

He could morph himself into the next version of Giannis but there's a lot that has to happen for that to occur! He's absolutely the most hyped prospect since LeBron whether he lives up to that hype depends on a lot of things happening.

Sure centers in today's NBA are a different breed but can you envision Webmanyama staying with Jokic or Embid, Gobert, Siakim, Adebayo, Brook Lopez? He isn't physically capable of hanging with those guys.

I understand he has a lot of growth - look at pictures of Giannis pre-NBA and currently.
I also suspect Webmanyama projects as a stretch 4 rather than a center but even then him on a Giannis, Durant, Butler is laughable at the moment.

He could morph himself into the next version of Giannis but there's a lot that has to happen for that to occur! He's absolutely the most hyped prospect since LeBron whether he lives up to that hype depends on a lot of things happening.

We'll see what happens once the season begins. I don't expect Wemby to dominate from the start. LeBron didn't. His worst season statistically (which was still good) was his first.

It's sometimes hard to project international players. But the NBA itself keeps looking more and more like international basketball. The bigs play like guards oftentimes and spend a lot of time away well outside of the lane. Shooting 3s, tremendous passing skills, quality ball handling, etc.

Kevin Garnett was at least as skinny as Wemby coming into the NBA straight from high school. Granted, a PF at 6'11. He did become increasingly muscular, but he was still a slender man throughout his NBA career. KG was a tenacious defender, who won an NBA defensive player of the year (in addition to all of his Hall of Fame numbers). And Garnett came into the league in the 90s, when the NBA was much more physical and in the paint.

Anyhow, I saw Wembanyama had a great second summer game tonight. Lots of criticism after game one -- but he's barely had time to settle in after moving from France and becoming an instant celebrity everywhere he goes. He shook off the game one rust. He should be dominating in summer league games. His play looked almost effortless -- but again, the competition is summer league.

I watched both games. The thing that stood out to me is that with his length and athleticism he’s always a presence. His ability to produce is a high probability. We will find out if he is capable of delivering under pressure, but from a pure statistical production standpoint, he’s going to be a beast.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back