• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

The good the bad and the ugly Michigan Edition

Yeah, I'm not worked up either. It's par for the course, but at this point I'm enjoying the progression that I'm seeing.
So you don't like the subtle shots Basil took at SF but then you threw in a subtle shot at Basil? Responding to his post in kind doesn't make you any better than him, be the change you want to see in the world brother :Cheers:

One game makes a big difference in how people see progress. Most everyone acknowledged the difficulty of this year's schedule. Win the first game and you erase a baffling, upset loss which is an outlier to how this team has played the rest of the year.

If NU is 4-3 with only losses to (now) Top 10 teams, is everyone hand wringing over lack of progress? I don't know, but posters weren't out on a limb who predicted NU would lose to OU, MSU, UM, OSU, UW, and IA this year.

The IL game still stings because it changes perception greatly.

One game makes a big difference in how people see progress. Most everyone acknowledged the difficulty of this year's schedule. Win the first game and you erase a baffling, upset loss which is an outlier to how this team has played the rest of the year.

If NU is 4-3 with only losses to (now) Top 10 teams, is everyone hand wringing over lack of progress? I don't know, but posters weren't out on a limb who predicted NU would lose to OU, MSU, UM, OSU, UW, and IA this year.

The IL game still stings because it changes perception greatly.
This is fair and probably accurate. If NU were to play IL today I think we win by a huge margin.

• We played a decent game. Our offensive wizard was shut out in the first half. He did, however, make fantastic adjustments and was absolutely fantastic in the second half. The offensive play calling then deteriorated on the final drive.
  • The defense was fantastic, again, until they were gassed at the end. The headman gets no credit for the defense; I recall a particular press conference where following a poor defensive performance he told the press that the defense was not his responsibility. The only credit he gets is not firing Chins.
  • CTB was utterly fantastic. Robinson was fantastic. Daniels was fantastic. And on and on with the defense.
  • The referring was generally terrible, but I think they got it wrong on both sides all night. The Doman PI was especially ridiculous.
  • AM was who AM is; he is tough as nails. Clearly playing with a broken jaw. He is the reason we were in the game, and the reason why we were unable to get over the hump at the end. He's been who he is for four years. It's not his fault. He should have been coached out of that stuff. Especially when the staff has gone on record calling kids "slow blinkers" in the newspaper. He's either been allowed to reject coaching and not evolve (which I think is unlikely except for the year he looked like he at a million cheeseburgers in the offseason) -or- he simply hasn't been instructed.
  • I do not understand the disappearing acts. Alante Brown, Xavier Betts. Instead, we play athletically inferior wide receivers. I do not understand why players like Yant has a bad play and is then banished. Other players, like AM, make a bad play that ends up swinging the game, and he praises that player to the press. The inconsistent treatment of the players is a major issue in the program.
  • I do not understand running little guys in between the tackles. This board and the staff was nothing less than fully engorged on Markese Stepp, a 6'1" 230 pound running back in the preseason. Do we run him between the tackles? Nope. How about Jaquez Yant, a 6'2" 245 pound running back that showed more than enough ability against Northwestern? Nope, he disappears, too. Instead, we, for the second year in a row, run our oompa lumpa through the tackles, a 5'10" 185 pound back. Don't get it.
  • I do not understand why we were playing the wrong offensive lineman for so long. Indeed, the play calling was designed magnificently through misdirection and counters as a result of our terrible offensive line.
  • We are 3-4 and continue to lose. Posters keep calling closer losses "progress." Indeed, they did play better this week. And still lost. And so now the state of the program is celebrating well played losses. I hate that. Like I read recently "being close" isn't a sign of a job well done. Results are the sign. In this business, results are wins.
  • I believe the maturation of our team over the last three weeks is a direct result of AD Alberts requiring Frost to make some org leadership changes in how things are done. Frost should thank his stars that Alberts came along when he did. Alberts may very well be Frost's savior.
  • The ugly is that I see us on a path of a really bad cycle:
    • Quality losses getting people to believe,
    • Continued mistakes that cost us,
    • Doing just good enough to keep Frost,
    • Lose AM and we start all over again at 3-8,
    • Repeat the cycle every four years so that we can go 7-5 or 8-3 in the fourth year with a four year starting QB.
  • I'd take that deal if we won or played for a NC every four years, but I think that is unlikely.
  • Michigan played really boring football. But it was darn effective. Their running back's were fantastic at picking up pass rushers. I was not impressed by their QB, but their rb Corum was a dude.
  • I thought we did a good job of making that one DE of theirs run horizontally all night.
  • I am curious to see how we do this week. I think this is a dangerous game. We have just come off of a lot of emotion. Fleck has two weeks two prepare for us. I think we should beat them by 3 scores. Let's see if we can.
Well done Bas. I agree with pretty much all of it but will add something to the positive column:

While dealing with the refs Scott was much better IMO. Especially leading up to the booth reviews but during most of the game. He was properly PO'd at the right times and properly respectful at the right times. Just a much more professional demeanor altogether.

Here is one for the bad column:

We have the ball 1st and 10 at the 49 with 2:44 remaining before half. We run tempo and go air-corn with 3 incompletions. Michigan ends up getting the ball back with 1:37 and puts together a TD drive to go up 13-0 at the half. 1 running play and letting the clock drop a bit and worst case Michigan gets the ball back with less than a minute and doesn't even try the drive. We still have timeouts and running off a minute was not a factor for us.
That was, indeed, a very bad series, in our opinion. When it started I thought to myself, we are running the clock as well as trying to score. I have been critical of Scott on this board, that series epitomizes one of my issues.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back