• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

The good the bad and the ugly Michigan Edition

AKA I got the Big Blues

Sorry so late. Game ended late Had to get up early to pack the car for Road trip for grandsons traveling team to Delaware today. For the record my Football weekend ended well with a 46-0 game. In favor of the good guys. On to the review.

The Good: Needs to be broke down in sections for most of the team. Defense qtrs 1-3, Offense qtr 3. Oddly for this year. Special teams was the only squad doing well pretty much the whole day.

The Bad: First half offense was not terrific. The first drive was OK only to stall on the 3. Other than that... Defense was good 1-3 quarters. The 4th quarter we could not stop much.

The Ugly: This goes to three plays. The coaches choice on the first drive. In a game where you know points will be a premium. You take points where you can get em. I am not normally one to second guess coaches. But I instinctively knew this would bight us in the butt. 4th qtr 11:21 29 yard Corum run. We hold em to a FG and we really put MI behind the 8 ball. Last but not least. 2AM fumble. By his own admission he did not play to the whistle. He said he thought the play was dead. Wait until you hear the whistle to let up.

Now it is easy like I have seen so many do on Social media and just blame 2AM. This was a team loss. I think I have shown above. In a tight game every play matters.

That is my opinion. Whats yours?

Thanks for the writeup. I think the fan base is split on the first drive call. We all knew this would be a field position game. I would have gone for it on 4th. If you fall short, we pin UM on the 4 yl. If we had gone for the FG, either we miss and give them better field position, or we get 3, kickoff, and give them better field position.

Agree that AM needs to hold on to the ball. But the play should have been blown dead. Moral of the story is, you have to outplay the officials. Leave no doubt.

Thanks for the writeup. I think the fan base is split on the first drive call. We all knew this would be a field position game. I would have gone for it on 4th. If you fall short, we pin UM on the 4 yl. If we had gone for the FG, either we miss and give them better field position, or we get 3, kickoff, and give them better field position.

Agree that AM needs to hold on to the ball. But the play should have been blown dead. Moral of the story is, you have to outplay the officials. Leave no doubt.
yeah I had a coach that used to tell us. If you play the game so that one play can make the difference. It will go against you.

The good = team played hard looked good
The Bad = coaches decision to not take points on first drive
The Ugly = Teddy’s injury and coaches decision to not take points

The assumption that taking the points on that first drive would have ended up with NU up three late in the game is a fallacy. None of the rest of the game from that point forward plays out as it did. I would have preferred to see them take the points there, but I also understand why he went for it and if they put 6 on the board, everyone is patting him on the back for the great call.

I always remember that late in life Green Bay Packer great Jim Taylor dissed NFL running backs who lost the ball after hitting the ground. In his view that was very bad form. He felt you never let the ball leave your hands, period. End of story.

Any time the ball gets lose, it gives the officials a chance to screw things up.

Last edited:
Here is one for the bad column:

We have the ball 1st and 10 at the 49 with 2:44 remaining before half. We run tempo and go air-corn with 3 incompletions. Michigan ends up getting the ball back with 1:37 and puts together a TD drive to go up 13-0 at the half. 1 running play and letting the clock drop a bit and worst case Michigan gets the ball back with less than a minute and doesn't even try the drive. We still have timeouts and running off a minute was not a factor for us.

The non-FG on the first drive is a much bigger play than is being discussed … I understand the thinking … go for the throat early, create some confidence, put some pressure on Michigan … but as you said a game where points were at a premium … Plus I HATE absolutely HATE trying to go wide on a goal to go situation. Would’ve rather seen a read option or power I type play.

My thoughts on going for the td on the first drive.

I'm OK with it.
We found we would have trouble getting wide with success vs Michigan's defense.

I wish 2am had been more physical, rather than just running out of bounds.

That's what I saw, 97 rows up, from the opposite endzone with binoculars

Here is one for the bad column:

We have the ball 1st and 10 at the 49 with 2:44 remaining before half. We run tempo and go air-corn with 3 incompletions. Michigan ends up getting the ball back with 1:37 and puts together a TD drive to go up 13-0 at the half. 1 running play and letting the clock drop a bit and worst case Michigan gets the ball back with less than a minute and doesn't even try the drive. We still have timeouts and running off a minute was not a factor for us.
4th down play at the end of the game.

2am needs to find a receiver for 10 yards and a 1st down. Not just heave it downfield in desperation.

My thoughts on going for the td on the first drive.

I'm OK with it.
We found we would have trouble getting wide with success vs Michigan's defense.

I wish 2am had been more physical, rather than just running out of bounds.

That's what I saw, 97 rows up, from the opposite endzone with binoculars
Yep. Also, that play looked like it was pretty well scouted by Michigan. Their DE looks at Brewington pre-snap and then as he starts to come down the line, he faces him to take on the block and sheds him. Even still, if Rahmir gets a bit better block on the DB, AM probably gets in

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back