• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

The GOAT of major men’s sports

WestTexasHusker

All Legend
10 Year Member
Football - Jim Brown
Boxing - Mohammed Ali
Basketball - Larry Bird
Baseball - Hank Aaron
Golf - Jack Nicklaus
Hockey - Wayne Gretzky
Tennis - Roger Federer

Football-Tom Brady
Boxing-Ali
Basketball-Michael Jordan
Baseball-Barry Bonds
Golf-Tiger
Hockey-Wayne Gretzky
Tennis-Roger Federer

I think after the super bowl I agree, Tom Brady is the GOAT.

I stand by Larry bird as the GOAT. Jordan was a scorer. Bird was not only a terrific scorer, but he also played tremendous defense and could pass like no one before or after him. Watch a 10 minute bird highlight, then a 10 minute Jordan highlight.

Secretariat was a male.

His Triple Crown wins - particularly Belmont - are some of the most dominant sports performance of the 20th century. No other horse has won a Triple Crown race by that margin. In any other year, Sham would have been a Triple Crown winner but he got blasted.

It would be like Alabama playing Clemson for a national title and winning 327-14.

Last edited:
I think after the super bowl I agree, Tom Brady is the GOAT.

I stand by Larry bird as the GOAT. Jordan was a scorer. Bird was not only a terrific scorer, but he also played tremendous defense and could pass like no one before or after him. Watch a 10 minute bird highlight, then a 10 minute Jordan highlight.

Both were great players, but you can't say Jordan didn't play defense, only 2 players ever won MVP and Defensive MVP in the same year, he and David Robinson and Jordan was on the All Defense Team 6 times, hands down Bird is a better passer and rebounder, but I'd take MJ....just my $.02

Football-Tom Brady
Boxing- Ali
Basketball-Michael Jordan
Baseball-Hank Aaron
Golf-Nicklaus
Hockey-Wayne Gretzky
Tennis-Djokovich

One other thing is that the term "GOAT" is totally subjective, not just in terms of the best player, but perhaps even so far as to distinguish between positions on a team.

Tom Brady is unquestionably the best quarterback to play the game, and while QBs are the face of the team/league, Tom Brady would make an absolutely crappy DT. I could probably play DT in the NFL better than Tom Brady.

So maybe it's worth breaking it up by position? Or at least position groups. For baseball, I could see flattening RF, CF and LF to simply "outfielders" as you can argue that the skillset is very transferrable. Same for any of the OL positions in football. But I guarantee a guy like Barry Bonds or Mark McGuire would have been an terrible pitcher.

Secretariat was a male.

His Triple Crown wins - particularly Belmont - are some of the most dominant sports performance of the 20th century. No other horse has won a Triple Crown race by that margin. In any other year, Sham would have been a Triple Crown winner but he got blasted.

It would be like Alabama playing Clemson for a national title and winning 327-14.

Have to go with Duck all the way on this one. Remember watching it live and it actually bringing tears to my eyes.

I remember a comment from Turcotte saying that Secretariat was actually accelerating as he crossed the finish line.

Incredible.

Last edited:

Football - Jim Brown
Boxing - Mohammed Ali
Basketball - Michael Jordan
Baseball - George Herman Ruth
Golf - Ben Hogan
Hockey - Gordie Howe
Tennis - Serena Williams
Cycling - Eddie Merckx
Dodgeball - Peter La Fleur

Jim Thorpe.

(Mic drop)

Surprised no one has mentioned him. Greatest multi-sport athlete of all time.

Heard a story about how all the olympic athletes were gathered in the hotel lobby before the games. There was a big chandelier in the lobby, and everyone was trying to jump up and see if they could touch it (no one could). After everyone else gave up, Jim Thorpe (in his 3-piece suit) effortlessly leaps up and grabs onto the chandelier with both hands, hanging on it for a moment until it looks like it's about to come down, then he lets go and lands as if it was no big deal.

Football - Jim Brown
Boxing - Mohammed Ali
Basketball - Larry Bird
Baseball - Hank Aaron
Golf - Jack Nicklaus
Hockey - Wayne Gretzky
Tennis - Roger Federer

Football - Tom Brady
Boxing - Sugar Ray Robinson
Basketball- Michael Jordan
Baseball - Hank Aaron (Mike Trout is closing in on this)
Golf - Tiger Woods
Hockey - Don't care
Tennis - Don't care
Fishing - Babe Winkelman

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back