• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

The GOAT of major men’s sports

Football - Tom Brady
Boxing - Sugar Ray Robinson
Basketball- Michael Jordan
Baseball - Hank Aaron (Mike Trout is closing in on this)
Golf - Tiger Woods
Hockey - Don't care
Tennis - Don't care
Fishing - Babe Winkelman

Fishing... Babe Winkleman..... Ill put my money on Mn local hero, Al Lindner, but Babe is cool, in his Raiders hat.

I will take Gretzky as the greatest of all Goats, in all sports. He moved the sport so much further forward, and the records so much further past who ever is now in 2nd place. While a few championships are indeed important, you have to have team mates who are good enuf to help you win, and then you need to replenish them frequently. Some of the top 5 players in each sport never even got to the finals of their sport, because they just never had any help at all.

Ali isn't even the greatest heavyweight of all time let alone greatest boxer.

Agree, while Ali was a terrific boxer and champ, he had a few too many decisions given to him by judges, in fights he truely didnt win. Don King had a whole lotta pull with judges if you know what I mean.

Jimmy Young won probably 9-10 rounds in their fight, but it was given to Ali. Any round even close to even was given to Ali, in many, many fights..... they used to count subjective things, call RING GENERALSHIP, as part of the scoring. Now what does that really mean?..... It means, "who did it FEEL like was in charge".... It didnt matter that Ali, landed 31 punches to his opponents 58 that round..... you see where the subjectivity comes in.

Just want to drop this here for all of you guys that think Jordan was the best in the NBA, he wasn't(perhaps the best of his generation) but the GOAT has to be this guy here and all of his winning that he did, both in college and the Olympics and then in the NBA....
Bill Russell: 2 college championships with the University of San Fran (which included a 55-game win streak at one point), an Olympic gold medal, and 11 NBA championships in 13 years. Just insane.

Jordan just can't put up those types of winning stats.

I will take Gretzky as the greatest of all Goats, in all sports. He moved the sport so much further forward, and the records so much further past who ever is now in 2nd place. While a few championships are indeed important, you have to have team mates who are good enuf to help you win, and then you need to replenish them frequently. Some of the top 5 players in each sport never even got to the finals of their sport, because they just never had any help at all.

agreed. Gretzky was in a class all his own with zero rivals or comparators. Undisputed GOAT of hockey. No one in any other sport can claim this distinction.

Last edited:

Just want to drop this here for all of you guys that think Jordan was the best in the NBA, he wasn't(perhaps the best of his generation) but the GOAT has to be this guy here and all of his winning that he did, both in college and the Olympics and then in the NBA....
Bill Russell: 2 college championships with the University of San Fran (which included a 55-game win streak at one point), an Olympic gold medal, and 11 NBA championships in 13 years. Just insane.

Jordan just can't put up those types of winning stats.
I get what you're getting at, but there is more to being the greatest than winning. It's a part of it but it's not the only thing. Who was greater, Robert Horry and his 7 titles or Charles Barkley and his 0? Who was a greater QB, Dan Marino or Jason Garrett? Garrett did win two Super Bowls...

I discount Russell's titles compared to Jordan's 6 straight because the league was easier in his days. In Russell's first year the league was only 8 teams. It had expanded to 14 by the time he retired, but the ABA was also in swing by then, syphoning off talents. Comparatively, the league had 27 and 29 teams for Jordan's run. Russell was no doubt great, top 5 player ever? Probably. Top 10? Absolutely. #1? I gotta disagree.

To a certain degree Michael Jordan is now promoted as the best,..... because the media says so, and for no other reason, but alot if it has to due with recency bias, and the fact that we can see his every night highlights on sportscenter, and there is a 5 part, 10 hour celebration of him by espn..... The only pix we have of Wilts 100 point game, is him in the locker room holding up a sheet of paper with 100 on it. Wilt did change the game, he would be a monster even in todays nba

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back