• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

The Enduring Myth of a Lost Live Iggy and the Stooges Album

HUSKER HOT SAUCE

Be Yourself - Everyone Else Is Already Taken
10 Year Member
as the site suggests, it's a long read, but I am a fan of Iggy, so I found this interesting. Enjoy reading this, or just go ahead and pass. :thumbsup:

In 1973, East Coast rock promoter Howard Stein assembled a special New Year’s Eve concert at New York City’s Academy of Music. It was a four-band bill. Blue Öyster Cult headlined. Iggy and the Stooges played third, though the venue’s marquee only listed Iggy Pop, because Columbia Records had only signed Iggy, not the band. A New York glam band named Teenage Lust played second, and a new local band named KISS opened. This was KISS’s first show, having changed their name from Wicked Lester earlier that year. According to Paul Trynka’s Iggy Pop biography, Open Up and Bleed, Columbia Records recorded the Stooges’ show “with the idea of releasing it as a live album, but in January they’d decided it wasn’t worthy of release and that Iggy’s contract would not be renewed.” When I first read that sentence a few years ago, my heart skipped the proverbial beat and I scribbled on the page: Unreleased live show??? I was a devoted enough Stooges fan to know that if this is true, this shelved live album would be the only known full multitrack recording ever made of a vintage Stooges concert.

https://longreads.com/2019/04/29/the-enduring-myth-of-a-lost-live-iggy-and-the-stooges-album/

That's a lot of words for a potential recording that only about 5 people would actually care about. ;)

But seriously, Jimmy Osterberg is one of those artists that you would read about but never actually hear on the radio. He was "legendary" for being famous or something. Or at least that is what I thought until I saw him on Austin City Limits a couple of years ago. It was good stuff. And I had no idea he co-wrote China Girl with David Bowie.

That's a lot of words for a potential recording that only about 5 people would actually care about. ;)

But seriously, Jimmy Osterberg is one of those artists that you would read about but never actually hear on the radio. He was "legendary" for being famous or something. Or at least that is what I thought until I saw him on Austin City Limits a couple of years ago. It was good stuff. And I had no idea he co-wrote China Girl with David Bowie.
I saw Iggy live in Fort Lauderdale late 80's and he did this back flip while singing... Helluva damn good show.

I like the part about KISS opening for BOC.

Iggy sure is a wiry fellow. It wasn’t until I was in my 30’s before I could start to appreciate his music.
He walks with a limp because he has one leg shorter than the other. He claims it was from a junior high football injury when he got run over by a much larger player.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back