• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked The Cotton boys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hopefully, I can provide a bit of clarity on this subject.

There are two situations discussed in this thread. The first involves the Cotton boys who could potentially receive tuition benefits based on their father's status as an employee of the university, and the second involves Native's buddy who happened to be smart enough to earn an academic scholarship.

The Cotton boys -- The NCAA, in Article 15.5.02.4.1(a)(4) blah....blah....blah....
Native's buddy (aka academic scholarship kids) - The Article of the NCAA Division I Manual, quoted by Native, regarding the exception for academic aid, is largely unchanged, and therefore, still in effect. It is now Article 15.5.1.2.1, revised slightly from the version quoted by Native. Effective 8/1/11, blah....
blah... blah...

Good info, thank HJag. (go back and read full post for the nittty gritty, blah's for length of post and to reflect my feelings on NCAA at times.)

Like I stated before, Barney only gets 12 credits /year for entire family, so not that great of a benefit from the University. Varies from institution to insitution on how good this is. U of Iowa gets nothing.... Vanderbilt's is amazing.

Native's buddy, is definitely an exception on the academic front. But if you're in his shoes, it was way better to be on academic scholarship than to have the athletic scholarship. I don't know his total scholly situation... but an example of one I do know is that of my wife. She had more scholly than anyone I knew of in college. Female in engineering along with great test scores translated into large checks every semester.

Last edited:

Therefore, football players can receive academic scholarships and not count toward the team limit. With all of our Academic All Americans, it makes you wonder why we have not seen guys receiving academic scholarships and not counting toward the scholarship limit on our team. Perhaps we have had some, but just didn't know about them. I remember Rob Zatechka, as well as many others, with grades that would have made them competitive for full-ride academic scholarships. Who knows, we may have one, or more, on the team this year, and we'll be able to sign more players than originally thought next week because of it.

That is a darn good question and I'd like to know how many, if any, we have who are like that. Of course, despite what the athletic department does for the school, the academic side fights to makes sure we aren't just a football school. So maybe it's that they don't want to "waste" money giving rides to kids that are good enough to earn for what they can do on the field.

I don't know if that is true or not, but I do hope/wish Bo would make use of this loophole. Frankly, given that article this season about the teams GPA being very high, high then it's been in a very long time, I think he should get to. If you could find 3-5 kids every year who were talented and smart enough to earn it on and off the field, then in a year, they'd be covered by the academic scholarships. It very much would be like SEC over signing, but in a very good way. You could have about 20 extra players

I don't remember who it was but a few years ago we had a walk-on player on an academic scholarship who had to decide between keeping his scholarship or playing football without a scholarship. It seemed rather cruel at the time but it was designed to keep schools from packing the team with all players who had scholarships of one kind or another. The 85 number would have meant nothing if that could happen.

But it's ok for SEC schools to oversign a bunch of kids that can't half read or write...................................cool!

If a kid is on any kind of scholarship and plays that year, then he counts as 1 of the 85. Doesn't matter what kind of scholarship his is on if he plays. Now if he is on acedemic scholarship and doesn't see the field then he wouldn't count against the 85. Of course the acedemic scholarship for an athlete is always tricky because of the rules. It is a bit of a gray area. This is just what I have heard and it could be incorrect so take it with a grain of salt.

It first depends if they are a "recruited" wall-on. A "Non-recruited" walkon does not count towards the 85 until they play.
A player becomes a "recruited" player if the coaching staff initiates the contact to the player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back