• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

the Coloradoan-Jeff Bersch: Some fans confused by coach Miles' choice to leave Rams

GoBigfRed

Varsity
20 Year Member
Interesting to see the perspective from the other side.

http://www.coloradoan.com/article/2...ce-leave-Rams?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Sports

CSU men's basketball fans seem a bit surprised they are losing their coach, especially to Nebraska.

Tim Miles, who coached the Rams the past five seasons and led them this season to the NCAA tournament, was introduced Saturday in Lincoln as the new coach of the Huskers.

Miles replaces Doc Sadler, who led the Huskers to a 12-18 mark this season, Nebraska's first in the Big Ten Conference after leaving the Big 12.

"My initial reaction was that it was Nebraska," said Caleb Kirkland, who was watching NCAA tournament game Saturday afternoon at Ryan's Sports Grill, 925 E. Harmony Road. "Aren't they the doormat of the Big Ten?

Further into the article.

"I was a little surprised, mostly because it seems like lateral move," said Greg Mount, who also was watching games at Ryan's. "But I wish him the best and thank him for making CSU relevant again."

Article continues in link above.

I can understand their impressions. Nebraska has been a doormat in basketball for a very, very long time. With that being said, the upside at Nebraska with the new facilities and being in the better conference far exceeds CSU as long as we get the right guy in.

It is kind of funny. And yes, maybe I'd have that same first impression if I was a CSU fan... the ol' "I didn't know Nebraska had a basketball program" line that I sometimes read outside of the state. :)

But it certainly isn't a lateral move. Of course, Miles got himself a healthy pay raise. And most important, the ceiling is so much higher at Nebraska than Colorado State -- it's just a matter of finding a coach that can begin to approach that ceiling for a change. It sure would be nice to see Lincoln not become the place where coaches go to see their careers die. :Biggrin:

Tim Miles has my 100% support. I keep thinking about how much he has me excited. I'm ready for next season already!

One of my very good friends covers Air Force sports for The Gazette in Colorado Springs and he said that he had interviewed Tim before and that he is a really good guy. He said that we're going to like him as our coach.

I was a high school senior during Nee's first season in Lincoln. I remember writing a paper in English class when Nee was hired (stuff like Danny having been a high school teammate of Lew Alcindor). I was so pumped at the time. I never had the same pumped feeling when either Collier or Doc was hired (though I thought they were both good guys). For whatever reason, Miles has me feeling like a high school kid again. Or, maybe I'm just an old drunkard now. :)

Just my take as a CSU grad . . . Fort Collins is a tough spot to be in Colorado for sports. It's always been (and unfortunately probably always will be) the readheaded step child because of CU. Sonny Lubick had a lot of success in football and got some national recognition. Basketball has been in the abyss pretty much since the Tiny Grant days when I was there--when they did some damage in the first round of the big dance and had success at the NIT. Outside of a trip to the NCAA Tournament a few years ago by reason of running the table in the league tourney, men's bball has been pretty much lost. Miles was on the way to bringing things back to respectability again it seemed.

So as far as seeing it as a lateral move from here in Colorado . . . I "get" that reaction. To most people here, it will sure look like that. For Miles, it's going to a "name" university and of course a significant jump in pay . . . and opportunity. If he can turn NU around then that will be a great step for him. I hope he'll do well . . . and I think he will. Give him some time and the chance.

I also hope CSU lands a good coach again to replace him. Fort Collins is really a phenomenal place and I would love to see the program continue to build back up. Hopefully the football team does so as well. But realistically, when a coach is successful at CSU, it's going to be hard to keep him around.

Last edited:
Hard to say it's a lateral move when you double your salary right off the bat. Big upside at NU, but, yes, doormat at present is true.

Last edited:
It is kind of funny. And yes, maybe I'd have that same first impression if I was a CSU fan... the ol' "I didn't know Nebraska had a basketball program" line that I sometimes read outside of the state. :)

But it certainly isn't a lateral move. Of course, Miles got himself a healthy pay raise. And most important, the ceiling is so much higher at Nebraska than Colorado State -- it's just a matter of finding a coach that can begin to approach that ceiling for a change. It sure would be nice to see Lincoln not become the place where coaches go to see their careers die. :Biggrin:

Tim Miles has my 100% support. I keep thinking about how much he has me excited. I'm ready for next season already!

Black is white, upside-down is now right-side-up, what are ya doin to me here HWM?

If i was CSU i would be bummed also, best thing that ever happened to CSU basketball !!! Now his is gone!! Cant blame him, 3 X salary, New $200 Million arena being built, and going from the MWC to the B1G, thats a no brainer. Good luck Coach Miles.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back