• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

The Big Easy

RedStones

If you aren't on the right, you're wrong.
10 Year Member
I thought I'd try something new this Thanksgiving since we stayed home for the first time in years. We usually go to my sister's in Des Moines. My brother-in-law always makes a deep fried Turkey which is my favorite. Since we didn't go I wanted to do the same here but I didn't really want to deal with all the oil so I looked at oil-less fryers.

I decided on the CharBroil 3 in 1 Big Easy tru infra-red smoker, roaster, and grill. I really only needed the roaster because I have a traeger and a grill but this was on sale and available so I got it.

These are some stock photos from the internet.

71+zXDgXepL._AC_UL400_.jpg

51DdV15kTXL._AC_SY400_.jpg

There isn't any direct flame on the food. It's all radiant infra-red heat and the turkey came out exactly like an air fried or oil fried Turkey but there's no oil to cleanup and it was really fast. It cooks at a rate of 10 minutes per pound so an 8 pound turkey breast only took 80 minutes to cook.

Here's how our turkey turned out.

IMG_8169.jpg

This was only an 8 lb breast but it says it can handle a 25 lb bird.

The skin came out perfectly crisp and the meat was juicy and had great flavor. I didn't use it but it also has a smoker box if I wanted to add a smokey flavor. There is also a drip catch tray so you can capture the juices for gravy. All in all this was a pretty impressive unit.

Looks great. There is a lot of talk about the The Big Easy in WTH's Fried Turkey thread as well. I also love doing pork butts in mine, great bark, and pulls right off of the bone. They are fun little cookers.

Looks great. There is a lot of talk about the The Big Easy in WTH's Fried Turkey thread as well. I also love doing pork butts in mine, great bark, and pulls right off of the bone. They are fun little cookers.

I can't believe how fast they cook plus I love not having to deal with oil disposal.

I must have missed the discussion in WTH's thread. I'll have to go check it out.

I can't believe how fast they cook plus I love not having to deal with oil disposal.

I must have missed the discussion in WTH's thread. I'll have to go check it out.
I have the add on rack that fits in the top of the basket. Can do 10 lbs. of chicken quarters at once. Great for family gatherings.

How does the pork butt compare to one cooked in a smoker? I would think it would cook too fast on this thing.

How does the pork butt compare to one cooked in a smoker? I would think it would cook too fast on this thing.
Honestly, I have never smoked a pork butt, which is on my list of things for the Kamado.

When cooking in the Big Easy, I start checking it on the early side of the time that they give in the manual. It is 30 minutes per pound I think, I would have to look. But depending on weather, size of the butt, etc, I check on it at around 20 to 25 minutes per pound so as to not turn the bark into charcoal.

Honestly, I have never smoked a pork butt, which is on my list of things for the Kamado.

When cooking in the Big Easy, I start checking it on the early side of the time that they give in the manual. It is 30 minutes per pound I think, I would have to look. But depending on weather, size of the butt, etc, I check on it at around 20 to 25 minutes per pound so as to not turn the bark into charcoal.

OK. That sounds like it's cooked with the gas turned down as low as possible for a slower cook.

Today is the debut for Big Easy, problem is its going to be a little breezy and I’m a little worried about heat consistency. Any of you all had problems with wind?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back