• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

The Bee Gees

RedStones

If you aren't on the right, you're wrong.
10 Year Member
Just watched a documentary on the Bee Gees on HBO. It was way more interesting than I ever expected. Opinions vary about the music of the 70's and early 80's and whether you liked the BeeGees or not it's hard to deny their impact on music. I for one made fun of them back then but I privately liked some of their songs.

Don't judge. Music effects everyone differently. They became big during my HS and college years. Queen was another group that got big during that time. Boston, Styx, Journey, Kansas, Wings, Elton John, The Doobie Brothers, Rush, Fleetwood Mac, the list goes on. All were great.

What struck me about the documentary was how one guy, a Chicago DJ, created a movement of hate against disco and used his voice to create a movement to shame people because of their music choices. Such is life but it was interesting to see cancel culture in history and how it's not a lot different than today. Anything that becomes popular will eventually be destroyed by hate. Is that a bad thing? Or is it what causes progress to find the next new thing?

EDITED: Removed some whiskey language.

Last edited:

Just watched a documentary on the Bee Gees on HBO. It was way more interesting than I ever expected. Opinions vary about the music of the 70's and early 80's and whether you liked the BeeGees or not it's hard to deny their impact on music. I for one made fun of them back then but I privately liked some of their songs.

FU. Don't judge. I'm old enough that I don't give a shyt about your opinion. Music effects everyone differently. They became big during my HS and college years. Queen was another group that got big during that time. Boston, Styx, Journey, Kansas, Wings, Elton John, The Doobie Brothers, Rush, Fleetwood Mac, the list goes on. All were great.

What struck me about the documentary was how one guy, a Chicago DJ, created a movement of hate against disco and used his voice to create a movement to shame people because of their music choices. Such is life but it was interesting to see cancel culture in history and how it's not a lot different than today. Anything that becomes popular will eventually be destroyed by hate. Is that a bad thing? Or is it what causes progress to find the next new thing?
I'm a music first guy. Genre to me just doesn't matter a whole lot. I liked the Bee Gees even back then, I liked Lionel Richie(haha) and even Barry Manilow too, well some of it. The Disco that came out of Motown, that was funky, was pretty solid. It's sadly ironic that the culture that purported so called unity, is really the cancel culture if they don't agree with it. I don't think that trying to erase the past is a good thing, but all these things together, surely help usher in the next new thing.

I'm a music first guy. Genre to me just doesn't matter a whole lot. I liked the Bee Gees even back then, I liked Lionel Richie(haha) and even Barry Manilow too, well some of it. The Disco that came out of Motown, that was funky, was pretty solid. It's sadly ironic that the culture that purported so called unity, is really the cancel culture if they don't agree with it. I don't think that trying to erase the past is a good thing, but all these things together, surely help usher in the next new thing.

I'm not huge on music history. I just like what I like. I had no idea that a lot of their music was based on R&B or even that disco had some roots in gay soul music. Makes some sense now but back then it was just music. I figure all music is influenced by something and it doesn't matter. In the end the creativity is what determines the songs success.

I have several of their vinyl albums, and I would defend them when classmates would make fun of them. Even wrote a fan letter to them once.

It was a great documentary. I was really surprised how they went on to write so many great songs for other artists as well. I mostly an 80's hard rock guy but you gotta respect talent when you hear it. They had some great grooves.

I have several of their vinyl albums, and I would defend them when classmates would make fun of them. Even wrote a fan letter to them once.

I remember classmates that were brutal to others just because of their music choices. Those same people would still party it up to that music.

One thing about the music back then, it packed the bars and the girls loved to dance to it. In Kearney places like Dicky Doogans, The Back Lot, Buffalo Chips, The Mule Deer, were all rocking with college kids. I think all that night life died with the popularity of the music. That or I just got old.

Last edited:

What a lot of people don't realize is that The Bee Gees had a very good run of pop hits in the late 60's and early 70's. They reinvented themselves in the middle 70's as disco stars.

For about a ten year stretch Barry Gibb along with his brothers to a lesser extent wrote, produced and sang on so many hit songs. They had a really good run from about 75-85. Very talented guys.

Just because you don't like a certain type of music or genre doesn't mean the person making the music is untalented. Not a big Lady Gaga fan, but she is extremely talented. I do think most pop music is way overproduced nowadays. Too much auto tuning, too many click tracks. It has a lot less soul than in the past. Pop music was always for the masses and that isn't a bad thing, but is all very safe now.

Folks can say what they want, but The Bee Gees wrote and sang their own stuff. They also had perfect pitch and harmonization, rivaled only by the Beatles and Simon & Garfunkel.

The only artist today that I know with perfect pitch (occasionally) is Justin Timberlake.

Almost all “artists” today are employing a trusty voice box. If you don’t believe me, go and watch them live - it is truly cringeworthy.

We don’t have good music and songwriting any more. It’s mostly garbage

Barry as the only surviving member of the group. R.I.P. ......... Maurice, age 53, and Robin, 62.

440px-Barry_Gibb_in_2017-Glasto17-197_%2834744934874%29.jpg

Robin (R.I.P.)
440px-RobinGibb-2008.jpg

Maurice (R.I.P.)
Maurice_Gibb_2001.jpg

Andy too, 4th brother. Died at age 30.

Last edited:

Don't judge. Music effects everyone differently. They became big during my HS and college years. Queen was another group that got big during that time. Boston, Styx, Journey, Kansas, Wings, Elton John, The Doobie Brothers, Rush, Fleetwood Mac, the list goes on. All were great.

EDITED: Removed some whiskey language.

I assume the Chicago DJ was who organized the Anti-Disco album burn at Comiskey?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back