• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

The 100 Greatest Metal Albums of All Time

I think they have it pretty close. I was surprised that after 50 I probably have 80% of them and 20 down probably 95%.

I also have never heard of many, so I probably will check them out on Pandora.

I was surprised to see Master of puppets at 2 in which I totally agree with. It was the album that I loved first in the metal genre. AC/DC introduced me by the way of Columbia house.

Good article! Thanks sauce.

1594647667775.png

These "Top 100" lists are low hanging clickbait and always good for arguments. Even bearing that in mind, c'mon, 4 Sabbath albums better than Master of Reality?!?!? I get that Paranoid is the most commercially successful but Master of Reality is the Sabbathiest Sabbath album. The C# tuning, the sludgy riffs... it's the album that launched the Stoner/Sludge/Doom/Desert genre.

These "Top 100" lists are low hanging clickbait and always good for arguments. Even bearing that in mind, c'mon, 4 Sabbath albums better than Master of Reality?!?!? I get that Paranoid is the most commercially successful but Master of Reality is the Sabbathiest Sabbath album. The C# tuning, the sludgy riffs... it's the album that launched the Stoner/Sludge/Doom/Desert genre.

I guess I wonder what they're criteria is for "metal". Is GNR not considered metal? If they are, how does Appetite For Destruction not make a top 100 list??????

I think almost every true metalhead would not consider GNR to be metal. However, much of the mainstream probably would.
I think of them as just a rock band. The band I’d most closely associate them with is Aerosmith. Swinging drums, greasy grooves, bluesy solos, with the occasional ballad mixed in.

I think of them as just a rock band. The band I’d most closely associate them with is Aerosmith. Swinging drums, greasy grooves, bluesy solos, with the occasional ballad mixed in.
I have to agree, GNR is not a "Heavy Metal" band in any real since of the word as I know it. The term has changed over the years, but I don't think that they would have ever been seriously considered as a HM band. Just a rock band is more apt in this case.

Yeah. These lists are generally worthless other than making for debates on the internet
For the most part agree again. I posted this simply because of some of the bands I'd never heard of and thought that that was interesting. Some of the ones I didn't know that I listened to, I'll never revisit their music, but some of them I will.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back