• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Thanksgiving

chicago husker

Da Bears
5 Year Member
The thread on choice of wood for smoker got me thinking we should shoot out some favorite Thanksgiving recipes.

Bread Pudding
Cut this recipe in half and it fits in a large foil pan

Bourbon Sauce
2 Cups Butter
3 Cups Cane Sugar
½ Cup Milk
3 Eggs
½ Cup Bourbon

Heat butter, sugar, & milk until dissolved, temper eggs off heat and add bourbon

Bread Pudding
12 Cups Heavy Cream
6 TBLS Butter
24 egg yolks
1 ½ cups cane sugar
2 tsp Cinnamon
1 ½ tsp nutmeg
1 ¼ cup Brown Sugar
4 TBLS Vanilla
½ cup bourbon
4 ea Chopped Pears
1 cup raisins

Melt butter in the cream on low heat. Mix egg yolks and spices in bowl, temper eggs into cream mixture and add bourbon. Fill 2” of full size pan with cut-up bread. Pour custard over bread and let soak for 5 minutes. Fold in pears and raisins, cover with foil and bake @ 275 for 90 minutes, remove foil and bake an additional 30 minutes or until golden brown. Let rest and serve warm with a little bourbon sauce drizzled over.

if you want your turkey to have final great appearance try this.
Turkey glaze

1 bag of fresh cranberries, 1/3 cup chopped ginger, 2 tsp orange zest, 1 cup sugar, 1/4 cup orange juice, 1 1/4 cup water, 1/4 cup Grand Marnier.
combine all but the Grand Marnier in saucepan and simmer until cranberries burst and sauce is very thick 5 to 10 minutes. strain thru a fine mesh sieve into a mixing bowl to cool. add the Grand Marnier and stir to combine. cover and refrigerate until ready to use, but bring to room tempature before applying. thin with a bit of water if too thick.

tried this out of curiosity several years ago and now everyone demands it. best part it is the easiest of all to prepare.

The Best Slow Cooker Cream Corn

Prep Time: 5 Minutes

Cook Time: 3 Hours

Ready In: 3 Hours 5 Minutes

Servings: 20

"This is the best, easiest slow cooker cream corn. It's very rich, not diet food, but is always such a big hit I have to tell everyone how to make it! You may want to half this recipe for a smaller family, but this is excellent leftover a day or even two."

Ingredients:

4 (16 ounce) packages frozen corn kernels

3 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, cubed

1 cup butter, cut into pieces

1/2 cup white sugar

6 slices American cheese

1/2 cup whole milk

Directions:

In a 6 quart slow cooker, combine the corn, cream cheese, butter, sugar, American cheese and milk. Cover and set to Low. Cook for about 3 hours, stirring every 30 minutes. Cheese and milk burn easily, so I would not recommend cutting the time and using the High setting.

tried this out of curiosity several years ago and now everyone demands it. best part it is the easiest of all to prepare.

The Best Slow Cooker Cream Corn

Prep Time: 5 Minutes

Cook Time: 3 Hours

Ready In: 3 Hours 5 Minutes

Servings: 20

"This is the best, easiest slow cooker cream corn. It's very rich, not diet food, but is always such a big hit I have to tell everyone how to make it! You may want to half this recipe for a smaller family, but this is excellent leftover a day or even two."

Ingredients:

4 (16 ounce) packages frozen corn kernels

3 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, cubed

1 cup butter, cut into pieces

1/2 cup white sugar

6 slices American cheese

1/2 cup whole milk

Directions:

In a 6 quart slow cooker, combine the corn, cream cheese, butter, sugar, American cheese and milk. Cover and set to Low. Cook for about 3 hours, stirring every 30 minutes. Cheese and milk burn easily, so I would not recommend cutting the time and using the High setting.

That sounds delicious, I love creamed corn. Sadly, nobody in my house will eat it. Sigh...
I love scalloped corn, too. Well, pretty much anything with corn in it. Whoda thunkit?

That sounds delicious, I love creamed corn. Sadly, nobody in my house will eat it. Sigh...
I love scalloped corn, too. Well, pretty much anything with corn in it. Whoda thunkit?

make a small batch just to give it a try as left overs are very good.

make a small batch just to give it a try as left overs are very good.

I definitely will. Need to convert some of these Southerners. I'm surrounded by them. ;) Grits seem to be the only form of corn deemed acceptable.

Last edited:

I heard this on the way in and I am trying this year, one of the local radio stations was asking listeners to tell them about their best T-day food secrets and I heard a game changer.

One of the guys who called in said that he likes to take the left over stuffing and put it on the waffle iron, it gets the crispy outside with the soft middle. If that is not enough he also said if you want to step it up a notch, make a couple of pieces of waffle stuffing, put some turkey and gravy on it and you have a stuffing waffle turkey and gravy sandwich... I cannot wait!

I heard this on the way in and I am trying this year, one of the local radio stations was asking listeners to tell them about their best T-day food secrets and I heard a game changer.

One of the guys who called in said that he likes to take the left over stuffing and put it on the waffle iron, it gets the crispy outside with the soft middle. If that is not enough he also said if you want to step it up a notch, make a couple of pieces of waffle stuffing, put some turkey and gravy on it and you have a stuffing waffle turkey and gravy sandwich... I cannot wait!

This is why I love Thanksgiving, so much. This sound delicious. I do this with sausage/cornbread stuffing and a smoked turkey wing, on the side.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back