• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Texas finalizes deals with new staff

Unless he is Pete Carrol reinvigorated, a .500 coach before USC, I think we’ve seen what type of HC Sarkisian is. Personally, I’d take Herman over him. I’ll be surprised if they surpass where Herman was. On the surface it seems like at best it was a push hire. I reckon we shall see how it goes. He’s got 2-3 years, before the natives get restless.

Unless he is Pete Carrol reinvigorated, a .500 coach before USC, I think we’ve seen what type of HC Sarkisian is. Personally, I’d take Herman over him. I’ll be surprised if they surpass where Herman was. On the surface it seems like at best it was a push hire. I reckon we shall see how it goes. He’s got 2-3 years, before the natives get restless.
Agree. Wait and see, but not convinced he is will be great HC. A lot of money on someone who doesn't have great HCing track record.

I'm kind of in the same place with Sark as well.

Also wondering how well he fits in Texas. Seems like a square peg in a round hole.

To your last sentence, I think he's got year one. They went 7-3 last year and Herman gets whacked. He has a losing record this year and they'll be restless. It's kind of nuts.

I'm kind of in the same place with Sark as well.

Also wondering how well he fits in Texas. Seems like a square peg in a round hole.

To your last sentence, I think he's got year one. They went 7-3 last year and Herman gets whacked. He has a losing record this year and they'll be restless. It's kind of nuts.
This is why Texas can’t find consistency. There are too many “well to do folks” with money applying pressure. The internal pressure there is ridiculous. I really think it’s harder there even if you are a great coach. Might also cause Sark to start throwing back some beers again also, lol.

Q: I'll take unwise choices for $55Million Alex (RIP)...

A: who are Whorns?
;)

I also was initially skeptical of the Sark hire. But -- he went out and surrounded himself with an elite assistant coaching staff. A head coach is only as good as the assistants he surrounds himself with.

Interesting note, Texas has a special teams coordinator (also the TE coach), who is making $1 million/yr.

I also was initially skeptical of the Sark hire. But -- he went out and surrounded himself with an elite assistant coaching staff. A head coach is only as good as the assistants he surrounds himself with.

Interesting note, Texas has a special teams coordinator (also the TE coach), who is making $1 million/yr.
So key to what you said. Like they got their assistants at Walmart and Nebraska got theirs at dollar general. Sounds about right.

So key to what you said. Like they got their assistants at Walmart and Nebraska got theirs at dollar general. Sounds about right.

Sark hired some serious guns.

Pete Kwiatkowski, defensive coordinator, had the same role at Washington for the past 7 years, typically with a top 15 defense nationally. Before that, he was in the same role at Boise State. Long-time assistant under Chris Petersen at both schools.

He snagged three assistants from Alabama to bring with him to Austin. So that means four of Saban's assistants from the recent national championship team are now UT coaches. And another that was on Saban's staff a couple years prior to Sark, before leaving to coach in the NFL. In other words, five former Saban assistants are now at UT.

Terry Joseph is now on Sark's staff.

Two of his assistants are experienced special teams coordinators.

Last edited:

$55 million in guaranteed contracts ....

He has a 46-35 head coaching record and his best year a Washington was 8-4 and 9-4 at USC followed by 3-9
How stupid is it to pay that kind of money for a very average at best head coach?

He has a 46-35 head coaching record and his best year a Washington was 8-4 and 9-4 at USC followed by 3-9
How stupid is it to pay that kind of money for a very average at best head coach?
It’s texas, so nothing is surprising. Easily the most underperforming program out there, given location, size, money and resources. Too many cooks in the kitchen. It’s been their problem for decades. People with money wanting to “be somebody”. Laughable.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back