• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Teddy Allen (Boys Town) transferring from WVU after 1 year > Western NE CC (Now 'N')

Unfortunately I am not a subscriber and cannot read the article on Teddy Allen :Redface: But here is a brief recap/impressions I found elsewhere that may help others who don't have access to it. ;)

" Very good article - Allen has had a hard road without question, and some of his demons are a result of that. Some, too, are definitely of his own doing.

Like a lot of people with problems like this, it's the downtime that gets them. When they're busy with practice/film/structured activity, it's fine. But how do they fill that downtime? Marijuana and alcohol are not the answer. Hopefully NU's support staff can help here, but he's going to have times where he's on his own. What choices does he make? It seems like he's been doing better with these choices the last few months at WNCC, especially since committing to NU.

I was encouraged by the way the meeting with NU was portrayed - sounded like Coach Hoiberg laid out very clearly what he needs to do to take advantage of this chance. They also asked him to show them he could be a better rebounder and passer over the last couple of months of JuCo, which it appears he has done. It sounds like he's excited to get here, which is also encouraging.

Hopefully being closer to his support in Omaha/Boys Town will help. He's an amazing talent and competitor. He certainly wants to play in the NBA. And I think what his brother is doing is also fueling & motivating him to take advantage of this opportunity.

I don't know if it will work out. He's going to be under tight scrutiny with a very short leash. But I was more encouraged about his chances after reading the article."

Last edited:
Unfortunately I am not a subscriber and cannot read the article on Teddy Allen :Redface: But here is a brief recap/impressions I found elsewhere that may help others who don't have access to it. ;)

" Very good article - Allen has had a hard road without question, and some of his demons are a result of that. Some, too, are definitely of his own doing.

Like a lot of people with problems like this, it's the downtime that gets them. When they're busy with practice/film/structured activity, it's fine. But how do they fill that downtime? Marijuana and alcohol are not the answer. Hopefully NU's support staff can help here, but he's going to have times where he's on his own. What choices does he make? It seems like he's been doing better with these choices the last few months at WNCC, especially since committing to NU.

I was encouraged by the way the meeting with NU was portrayed - sounded like Coach Hoiberg laid out very clearly what he needs to do to take advantage of this chance. They also asked him to show them he could be a better rebounder and passer over the last couple of months of JuCo, which it appears he has done. It sounds like he's excited to get here, which is also encouraging.

Hopefully being closer to his support in Omaha/Boys Town will help. He's an amazing talent and competitor. He certainly wants to play in the NBA. And I think what his brother is doing is also fueling & motivating him to take advantage of this opportunity.

I don't know if it will work out. He's going to be under tight scrutiny with a very short leash. But I was more encouraged about his chances after reading the article."

Structure, structure, structure. Kids like Teddy need this. The constant change isn’t good for him. This is why he flourished at Boys Town. I hope Fred and the staff can set structure for him.

Structure, structure, structure. Kids like Teddy need this. The constant change isn’t good for him. This is why he flourished at Boys Town. I hope Fred and the staff can set structure for him.

Flourished? Maybe athletically. I worked for BT at the time and unfortunately he wasn't provided with all the resources or support available that could have helped him. That's all I can share openly. I'm rooting hard for this young man. He's had a tough life and transferring to UNL could very well set him up for greater success.

Maybe we Shouldn't want him to get any more help! :Redface: (Check out the Video! :oops:)

Last edited:
Yeah but...

I think Teddy will be better, but let's not go crazy here... he does look unconscious good from outside... I hope his game will translate (better chance since he played well at WV)

Last edited:
WARNING! Abandon HOPE; All Ye who enter here! :eek:

I know some folks don't want (me) to get their hopes up yet again :Cautious:, only to be dashed against the Husker shoals of eternal despair. :oops: If you're among the emotionally fragile Husker faithful, Avert your Eyes or Stay Away!

(Coded to protect the Innocent or Unwary. If you MUST see it; insert "https://" in front of the link)

Oh, What the Hell, Couldn't get it to work; Here's the link:

Last edited:

Seems like he is trying to draw the "and one" on most of his 3-pt attempts. That may wear a little thin with the B1G ref crew and cause him to not get the calls he may deserve on his drives. Hope he can bring that attitude and confidence to NU and keep it for a year or two.

Teddy drives strong to the bucket and, very surprisingly, slides in/around opponents quite well. He get's the "and one" because of being able to create and draw contact while still maintaining good body control. There were many times this past season where it seemed so very effortless for him. I hope he can work within Hoiberg's system and be a positive for the university and bb team.

Teddy drives strong to the bucket and, very surprisingly, slides in/around opponents quite well. He get's the "and one" because of being able to create and draw contact while still maintaining good body control. There were many times this past season where it seemed so very effortless for him. I hope he can work within Hoiberg's system and be a positive for the university and bb team.
@RogelioVB Did you see Teddy play this year? I think I recall you saying you had. If so, did you see Jervay Green play last year? Could you compare their games and success?

Saw Teddy play a lot. VERY disappointed in his early games cuz he mentally wasn't there. I felt his previous D1 time gave him the swollen head and I think he felt the entire game was "him". Once he became less of a prima dona the team (and Teddy) improved. You can imagine opposing teams and coaches went at him often, trying to upset him and target him to make stupid actions. I did question some of the juco officials later in the season as not being truly unbiased. Teddy did piss off some officials in the early games and it's quite possible officials for later games heard about Teddy and were ready to make certain they didn't have problems with him. Hence Teddy's early attitude and demeanor were advertised. There were times in late season games where I thought Teddy was pushed and fouled but didn't get calls, notably when he drove to the basket. There's more upside with Teddy. Yes, Teddy has some emotional history and problems but he seemingly scored at will in juco games. I'd see opposing coaches shrug their shoulders when Teddy would dominate, players were guarding him but it didn't matter at times. Notably different mental focus and talent level at D1, but Teddy can "play the game well". Jervay seemed to be more concerned about himself and his game. There were too many time he'd get the ball and the team would wait for him to "make his move" and do the one-on-one game. Good player but I didn't feel he was a big-time team player. Jervay will be okay at his next (and final) school. I enjoyed watching him at juco but it was readily apparent he knew he was good (at the juco level) and expected to be the big dog on the team. Unfortunately he truly couldn't "take over" a game (like Teddy did at the juco level) by himself. I think the D1 stage in the Big10 was a bit above Jervay's overall game. I suspect he thought he'd see more playing time and produce much high numbers and when the stats didn't appear and he wasn't the star on the team or in the conference it bruised his ego.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back