• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Ted Gilmore recognised as WR coach of the year by Football Scoop

Status
Not open for further replies.

NWNENative

Recruit
5 Year Member
Ok, so maybe Football Scoop isn't the most prestigious outfit around, but they did recognise ex-NU WR coach Gilmore for his work with the receivers at USC. So this begs the question(s): Why didn't he do as well at NU? Was it the "Jimmies and Joes"? Was it the offensive system?
Or did NU lose out on a good coach? Discuss

coulda been square peg, round hole syndrome. He was a good and descent man, and tried hard, but im sure it was a combination of ---- ineffective qb as a freshman, marginal recievers, and coach mismatched to a program, or offense. Anyway, congrats to him, and we wish him well

Lots of things are different...starting with who's throwing the ball. Without looking I am confident that USC has better talent to work with and obviously, I think their system isn't designed around block first catch second.

I thought our receivers were better when he coached them when we were more of a pro style, it wasn't until we tried to do more spread style when we dropped in production.

I think Ted Gilmore is probably just a lot better coach in the West Coast Offense....

However, two things. (1) He has Robert Woods and Marqise Lee, two of the best receivers in the country. (2) Lane Kiffin's strength as a coach has always been developing great wide receivers.

These two factors have helped him greatly.

Last edited:
Like it or not, USC definitely has better passers, and likely has better receivers (in terms of natural catching ability) than NU. I haven't watched a lot of USC this year, but I'm guessing that our guys are much better blockers than USC, for what that is worth.

I assume that Gilmore is not serving as a recruiting coordinator at USC like he was at NU. Maybe being able to solely focus on coaching helps too.

The Jimmies and Joes with a very good passer---makes Gilbert look good. Hope he gets an OC job and then a HC job so we can gauge him on his abilities. Then I may think a "good one got away". But right now, I am still glad he is gone.

blindsquirrel.jpg ;) congrats to TG!

Last edited:
Gilmore is a great coach, watson not sooo much !!! Makes you wonder if we got rid of the wrong coach on the offensive side.

Congrats to Gilmore. He's a good guy.

I think part of the problem last year was the vast differences in our coaches. OC and WR coach were mostly WCO guys. The OL and TE coach were mostly power-option guys, the RB coach was a spread guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back