• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Team Rankings

BGRed

Blackshirt
20 Year Member
I know there will be skepticism early in the season; but, I've also been interested in this site for the predictive model. They run multiple simulations of rest of season based on stats to date.

I don't think they are far off from the Nebraska predicted finish (Penn State, on the other hand...).

I think that's a reasonable projection for Nebraska. I can't imagine much more than 10 wins. 8 to 10 seems doable. But again, I'm not really counting wins this season, as this season is only about building team chemistry and improving.

My only concern with this season are the many casual fans (those that don't start paying any attention until maybe late-January) who will simply see the record and say, "We got rid of Miles for this?!" :)

Penn State will be an interesting team to watch. On rare occasions, they'll look like a legitimate team, but most times they are near the bottom of the conference. History suggests there's no way they could finish with the 4th best record in the Big Ten (I guess that it's not true Big Ten standings, as it's overall record listed). But -- they are 5-0. And three of those wins are solid: Bucknell, Yale, Georgetown. Sure, none of those are top 25 types of teams, but all are the types of teams Penn State commonly loses to.

Penn State returned 8 of the 10 players with those most minutes from last season, making them very experienced. Lamar Stevens is a stud, who could very well be first team All Big Ten. And they did finish the end of last season 7-4 -- with three of the four losses by a combined 13 points. In other words, they do have a lot of the key ingredients in performing well this season. The main hesitation is simply because it's Penn State hoops, which is really about like saying Nebraska hoops ... who? ... isn't that a football school? :)

Last edited:
After what I would call a successful few days in the Cayman Islands, here are the updated TeamRanking metrics. Keep in mind that TeamRankings does not include games that were not on the schedule; so, the earlier metric would not have included the semifinal and third place games at the time of my initial post.

It May be a Rough Season!!! :oops:

Michigan makes their debut in the AP top 25 this week at...#4. That ties Kansas for the highest jump from unranked to ranked ever. (KU did the same thing in '89)

Michigan gets the second most #1 votes (9) behind Louisville (48) (whom they play in the ACC challenge this week).

The preseason #1 team, Michigan State (#11), is now just the 4th highest rated Big Ten team behind #3 Maryland, #4 Michigan and #6 Ohio State.

Purdue, Indiana and Penn State are among the teams outside the top 25 receiving votes. That's half the league, folks!

Last edited:

so... this is gonna be a LONG season

Well, it says we are above 50% to win three games. They actually predict a 9 win season as of results from last night. They run numerous simulations for rest of the season based on actual statistics to date and then record how many times a team wins a matchup.

Last edited:
As evidenced by Iowa's dominant win over Minnesota last night, projections can change day-by-day. Hawkeyes go from 27% likely to make the NCAA tourney to 42%

Attachments

• 1575988606374.png
    1575988606374.png
    83.6 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:

Well, apparently the computer simulations are only slightly impressed by our win over Purdue, bumping us up to 1 more overall win on the season. It'll take a few more games of excellent performances to overcome our absolutely horrible early losses.

At the current stat level, we'll only be favored in 3 more games.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back