• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Team Rankings

Well, apparently the computer simulations are only slightly impressed by our win over Purdue, bumping us up to 1 more overall win on the season. It'll take a few more games of excellent performances to overcome our absolutely horrible early losses.

View attachment 34533

At the current stat level, we'll only be favored in 3 more games.
View attachment 34534

View attachment 34535

Thank you for posting this stuff from teamrankings. I"ve gone to their website, but it's kind of tough to navigate, at least for me. I was on here waiting for this on Monday, lol; I look forward to it more than I realized. Thanks again for taking the time to post it.

Penn State will be an interesting team to watch. On rare occasions, they'll look like a legitimate team, but most times they are near the bottom of the conference. History suggests there's no way they could finish with the 4th best record in the Big Ten (I guess that it's not true Big Ten standings, as it's overall record listed). But -- they are 5-0. And three of those wins are solid: Bucknell, Yale, Georgetown. Sure, none of those are top 25 types of teams, but all are the types of teams Penn State commonly loses to.

Penn State returned 8 of the 10 players with those most minutes from last season, making them very experienced. Lamar Stevens is a stud, who could very well be first team All Big Ten. And they did finish the end of last season 7-4 -- with three of the four losses by a combined 13 points. In other words, they do have a lot of the key ingredients in performing well this season. The main hesitation is simply because it's Penn State hoops, which is really about like saying Nebraska hoops ... who? ... isn't that a football school? :)

To add with my thoughts from November 24th -- Penn State broke into the top 25 this week. First time ranked in the AP poll since 1996.

Hey, the stats & simulations now say we have a chance to make the tourney!

There must be some non-zero chance as we have a #15 seed listed...maybe the minuscule chance that we win the conference tournament and have an overall losing record?

Last edited:
There seems to be something wrong with the Toughest/Easiest Remaining games schedule which shows 20 games remaining (vs 20 game conf schedule and we've already played two. Rutgers 1/25 & Illinois 2/24 are duplicated).

There seems to be something wrong with the Toughest/Easiest Remaining games schedule which shows 20 games remaining (vs 20 game conf schedule and we've already played two. Rutgers 1/25 & Illinois 2/24 are duplicated).

There are 18 games remaining. So, there are two games that are the 9th and 10th toughest as well as the 9th and 10 easiest. If I reformat and show all on one list with likelihood to win, it looks like this.

Thanks for posting these stats. :Salute:. I had just done a quick count of the easiest & toughest remaining games and came up with twenty and thought that can't be right since we've already played two :Redface: (and commented in the thread so you'd know at least one person appreciates the information :Lol:).

I thought it was something you had cut & pasted, didn't realize you had to format it.
Always look forward to your ranking updates as the season progresses.

Best Wishes for the New Year!!! :Salute:

Oh, and :Gobigred:

Last edited:

I thought it was something you had cut & pasted, didn't realize you had to format it.
Always look forward to your ranking updates as the season progresses.

Normally it is cut and paste as two separate screen shots as that is how the site shows it. I only formatted this last time to show the full 18 game list.

There must be some non-zero chance as we have a #15 seed listed...maybe the minuscule chance that we win the conference tournament and have an overall losing record?

View attachment 35588

View attachment 35589

View attachment 35590

Yeah, that must just be some crazy calculation that comes up with that. I don't think it's even possible for a major conference team to get a 15-seed. Those are always taken up by the mid-majors and small conference champs.

Yeah, that must just be some crazy calculation that comes up with that. I don't think it's even possible for a major conference team to get a 15-seed. Those are always taken up by the mid-majors and small conference champs.

I'm guessing that one of the simulations had us winning the conference tournament. If we go into that with something like a 11-20 record and win five games to get to 16-20, I could see it resulting in a 15 seed.

Last edited:

Well, we were given only a 37% chance of winning at Northwestern yesterday; but, that was a game we really needed to win (or at least play well) to show progress. Understandable that the team is a take 2 steps forward, one step back type of team. The future is still bright.

Since the outcome was pretty much as expected, not much change in the TeamRankings stats.

The season continues to go about as expected. The B1G metrics are definitely a lot different than a few years back when we were near the top and didn't get an invite.

1580823012181.png

1580823050151.png

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back