• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Team Camp (HS) At Nebraska Starting Sunday

MonagHusker

Recruit
5 Year Member
My son and his team are going to Lincoln for a Team Camp starting Sunday. Is this a camp that they have had before and, if so, what is it like? I'm a little jealous but looking forward to his recap (which, might not be much, but we will take what we can get at this age for him I guess).

Apologies if this isn't the right forum -- it's Nebraska, in Lincoln, possibly future Huskers :)

I'm not sure that Nebraska has ever had the football team camps before, but it's an awesome experience. Coaches bring their entire squad, and they usually do everything together as a team, including some drills, and possibly even using some of the college staff for installing new plays, new formations, etc., and drilling a little bit. There's usually some scrimmage plays against similar schools with similar talent. What's really cool about the Nebraska camp is that the Nebraska support staff is treating everything like Nebraska team practices, so they're filming everything, breaking it down for the coaches, and they'll have sessions for each team by position in the same position film rooms that the Nebraska coaches and players use. Since part of the whole thing is to get the kids to dream about coming to Nebraska there will be tours of everything, and I'd guess that they'll possibly eat like the players, possibly even in the athletes dining area. If your son is a Huskers fan, he's going to come home with his heart on fire for Nebraska football.

I don't know how much time the actual coaching staff coaches will be there, but I'm sure that Frost and others will at least make an appearance. The GAs and Quality Control folks will probably be available to help keep things clicking, possibly even running some drills. Unless your son has had some sort of similar experience in the past, it's going to blow his mind ... which is pretty much the point.

Last edited:
My son and his team are going to Lincoln for a Team Camp starting Sunday. Is this a camp that they have had before and, if so, what is it like? I'm a little jealous but looking forward to his recap (which, might not be much, but we will take what we can get at this age for him I guess).

Apologies if this isn't the right forum -- it's Nebraska, in Lincoln, possibly future Huskers :)
Also, fwiw, tell him to make an effort to chat with the coaches when/if there's an opportunity. I was sitting at the coaches' clinic in 2018, asking Mario Verduzco everything that I could think of about drills for QBs and correcting throwing mechanics, etc., and here comes Frost and Chinander and Fisher, who sat down with us and joined us. They were the most down-to-earth, laid back, genuinely friendly coaching staff that I've ever been around, and I've been around quite a few. When I was included in the conversation, I made a point of introducing myself by saying that I was from a school so small with so few athletes that it was safe to say that they would never so much as see my guys on film unless they were scouting an opponent. They chuckled, didn't care, and started asking questions about my program as though it should matter to them. They're not faking it. They're just genuine guys who love football. If your son sees the Nebraska coach for his position, tell him to go over and chat with him. If they're eating, ask to sit down at their table. Just soak it in, be polite, and talk to them like anybody else, and he'll have a blast.

Also, fwiw, tell him to make an effort to chat with the coaches when/if there's an opportunity. I was sitting at the coaches' clinic in 2018, asking Mario Verduzco everything that I could think of about drills for QBs and correcting throwing mechanics, etc., and here comes Frost and Chinander and Fisher, who sat down with us and joined us. They were the most down-to-earth, laid back, genuinely friendly coaching staff that I've ever been around, and I've been around quite a few. When I was included in the conversation, I made a point of introducing myself by saying that I was from a school so small with so few athletes that it was safe to say that they would never so much as see my guys on film unless they were scouting an opponent. They chuckled, didn't care, and started asking questions about my program as though it should matter to them. They're not faking it. They're just genuine guys who love football. If your son sees the Nebraska coach for his position, tell him to go over and chat with him. If they're eating, ask to sit down at their table. Just soak it in, be polite, and talk to them like anybody else, and he'll have a blast.

Sage advice, love it!

I may be misremembering, but they had to cancel team camp last year. So this will be new for pretty much everyone. Will surely be a few kinks to work out.

Still remember growing up that the Husker camp was basically mandatory for any football player wanting to go to Nebraska. We didn’t do their team camp, but the individual camp essentially was a team camp with how many of our teammates went to it. Still can’t believe they put us all in the same dorms and that there weren’t more fights. This was before every high school kid was friends with each other and friends on twitter obviously.

I may be misremembering, but they had to cancel team camp last year. So this will be new for pretty much everyone. Will surely be a few kinks to work out.

Still remember growing up that the Husker camp was basically mandatory for any football player wanting to go to Nebraska. We didn’t do their team camp, but the individual camp essentially was a team camp with how many of our teammates went to it. Still can’t believe they put us all in the same dorms and that there weren’t more fights. This was before every high school kid was friends with each other and friends on twitter obviously.
I experienced the same with a wrestling camp at Kearney State. Half of the Dorm was a wrestling camp the other half was a girls volleyball camp. Interesting encounters in the common area. The VBall coach heading the camp invited us to stay and watch a film wit the girls. By the end there were as many Wrestlers watching the volleyball game as there were girls at the VBall camp. ;)

I experienced the same with a wrestling camp at Kearney State. Half of the Dorm was a wrestling camp the other half was a girls volleyball camp. Interesting encounters in the common area. The VBall coach heading the camp invited us to stay and watch a film wit the girls. By the end there were as many Wrestlers watching the volleyball game as there were girls at the VBall camp. ;)
Well I remember one summer when half of Abel was cheerleaders and the other half was the Scholar's Institute! I can tell you, lots of crazy stories! One of the prospective engineers actually looked away from his shoes while talking to a cheerleader!

First, thanks for the initial replies. I meant to do that before the camp started.

@MonagHusker, be sure to give us a summary of how it went, what he thought, etc. I'm very curious to hear it from a Nebraska high school player's perspective.
I wish I had a better recap. He doesn't necessarily lay it all out there so you take what you can get. We also didn't have a chance to discuss it much until today as he was either warn out or we were doing things for the rest of the kids.

He saw a couple coaches, but didn't really speak to any. He said HCSF was around watching some drills including one he was running. I think he heard Verdusco say something about liking someone's "stroke" which they all thought sounded odd.

He liked the facilities and was maybe most impressed by the room they did the film study in.

He said he really enjoyed it and thought his team did well during the camp. I don't think he loved the food though, which surprised me.

What school does your son go to?

Roncalli

First, thanks for the initial replies. I meant to do that before the camp started.

I wish I had a better recap. He doesn't necessarily lay it all out there so you take what you can get. We also didn't have a chance to discuss it much until today as he was either warn out or we were doing things for the rest of the kids.

He saw a couple coaches, but didn't really speak to any. He said HCSF was around watching some drills including one he was running. I think he heard Verdusco say something about liking someone's "stroke" which they all thought sounded odd.

He liked the facilities and was maybe most impressed by the room they did the film study in.

He said he really enjoyed it and thought his team did well during the camp. I don't think he loved the food though, which surprised me.

Roncalli
Thanks for the feedback. I'm always curious about how these things look through the eyes of teenagers.

This is a really smart thing to do.

If we're gonna win that 500 mile recruiting ring around Lincoln, this is a very good start.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm always curious about how these things look through the eyes of teenagers.
Mostly speculation on my part, but I wonder if some of the excitement isn't tempered a bit by what he thinks is realistic. While I am not suggesting playing football in college is likely, I don't think walking on at Nebraska is something he would consider at this stage.

While we as fans may lament or worry about the lack of depth, shortly before the camp he said something about Nebraska being five deep at every position as if that meant they really had no chance. This is also a player going into his Junior season who went from not starting until injury to another player on a 20 man Freshman/Reserve squad to being the starting RB (a position he was new to and shared) and starting MLB on JV seeing snaps at varsity because by the fourth game we had 40 pts leads at half more than a few times. So it's sort of new and it's not like I have produced the best athletes, though I do expect them to work hard.

I don't want to downplay his experience and he might totally disagree with my speculation above. I think the fanboy in me expected maybe a little more enthusiasm, but I am also uncool dad and who knows what the team talked about throughout the event.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back