• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Taylor's hand clapping.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The snap is on the center's ready in shotgun, so if he sees someone flying up and blitzing he can make them offsides if need be. But, again, the clapping or heel lift or whatever is just to signal that Taylor is ready and done calling out protections and/or audibles.

It is very much different then when he says "hutt" or a color under center. Those words normally mean to snap the ball at that time.

I was wondering the same thing. Hadn't seen it before. He didn't always do it the same way. I noticed on the replay yesterday that some were two claps.

I don't see him using that if it's cold out but I like it because the center doesn't have to keep looking back.

Maybe the center and O-line had problems hearing the snap call at OSU. A single sharp clap might be easier to hear through the crowd noise and other stuff that's going on. The obvious problem seems to be that if clap=hike then you're going to have trouble confusing blitzers or slowing the pass rush. Radio guys mentioned that OSU uses the clap signal for Miller.

Most college spread option teams use this signal now, I see it numerous times on Saturdays. I've seen it occasionally in the pros when the QB is in the shotgun as well.

I read an article before the OSU game where Meyer said he's used it for a long time. The reasoning is it allows the center to listen rather than trying to look behind him at the QB's feet, which allows the center better awareness for his blocking assignment.

I think it's a great move by the offense. Shows they aren't afraid to adopt good ideas even if they're not their own.

Last edited:
I think it's a great move by the offense. Shows they aren't afraid to adopt good ideas even if they're not their own.

I understand they are contemplating using the dreaded pull my finger signal this week against Michigan, installing another one of the senses into game plan!

That's great until opposing defenses figure out they can clap and get a TFL or fumble on every damn play.

To which they go on the second clap, or the third clap, or no clap.

This kind of cadence is far more difficult to try to time or guess than a verbal cadence.

Last edited:

That's great until opposing defenses figure out they can clap and get a TFL or fumble on every damn play.

The defense could not attempt to duplicate snap signals; it is against the rules.

Should have read the entire thread before posting this. Carry on.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back