• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Tarin Smith impressing! Potential Starter!

Red Don

Tiger
Staff member
10 Year Member
First 50 sec (following the introductory ad) talks about Miles's upcoming press conf (@2pm today) and Tarin Smith.

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/100334/3-point-shot-nebraskas-freshman-pg

. (Per another board)
-Tarin Smith has impressed coach Miles early on, he'll likely be talked about at the Press Conference-Looking at Smith to be the team's "quarterback" with comparisons to Peyton Manning and Donavan McNabb
-From New Jersey, demonstrates Nebraska's ability to recruit nationally
-Shows good ability to control the offense and get the ball where it needs to go, also handles perimeter pressure well
-Too early to tell if he'll be a starter, but he's in contention

Apparently there is no live video of Miles' press conference :(, but it may be made available later.

As far as I can tell, if Tarin Smith starts, the two deep looks something like this:

PG Tarin Smith, Benny Parker
SG Tai Webster
SF Terran Petteway, Nick Fuller
PF Shavon Shields, David Rivers
C Walter Pitchford, Moses Abraham

This is what I think it looks like if you put the best player at each position (assuming Tarin Smith can play defense and really is a potential starter):

PG: Tarin, Tai, Benny, Terran, Shavon
SG: Terran, Shavon, Tai, Benny
SF: Terran, Shavon, Nick, David
PF: Walter, David, Shavon, Leslee, Moses
C: Moses, Walter, Leslee, Jake

Trying to build a working line up out of this is why Tim Miles gets the big bucks. My guess for opening day would be:

PG: Tai, Tarin/Benny
SG: Terran, Benny/Tai, Shavon
SF: Shavon, Terran
PF: Walter, David
C: Moses, Walter, Jake

If things go badly they can switch back to having Rivers and Benny play more to get defensive energy going.

Ps. I think we're a better team if we have two Terrans starting with two Shavons coming off the bench...:wow:

http://journalstar.com/sports/huske...cle_1420789a-8150-5151-a4d0-d83c2c6c80ad.html

Here's A Great Read on Tarin Smith in today's LJS! :nod:

NU's Smith brings smarts, athleticism to point guard!

He decided to take business calculus as his first college course in June.......

Smith, a business administration major, had a high school grade-point average on the north side of 4.0 and was valedictorian of his senior class at St. Anthony’s High School in Jersey City, New Jersey.......

Remember that when you hear Nebraska coach Tim Miles talk about Smith’s intelligence and high basketball IQ.........

“He might be our most athletic kid on the team,” Miles said. “The other day he went down the lane in one of our workouts and went off his wrong foot, his left foot, and dunked it left-handed over like Moses (Abraham) or Walt (Pitchford) or somebody like that.

“You’re like, ‘What just happened?’ That’s hard to do. At least, it’s hard for me to do.”
:eek:

Just got to like the kind of recruit Miles attracts (and the staff he is building!) :bow:

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back