• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Tailgate Fish Fry

I still have such great memories of that place though. Since they used to have designated trout seasons in NC, the official start of the season was March 1. My parents always wondered why my GPA plummeted in spring semester. I finally told them after I graduated that after March 1, if it was nice out, I wouldn't go to afternoon classes for a month.

I hated building anything in the mountains and wouldn’t have done it if not for fly fishing. Finish work and spend the last few hours before dark on the river. It made it worth all the bad subs and workers. Mostly.

Bad subs, terrible workers,
Pretty much standard now days,

It is. Back in the early ‘80’s when I started in Denver, that wasn’t the case. You’d have the occasional turd, but most companies and tradesman knew their jobs and did them well. Now it’s rare to find someone who’s good at what they’re being paid to be a professional (insert trade here).

It’s why I love bourbon so much. If distillers start screwing that up, I’m done.

It is. Back in the early ‘80’s when I started in Denver, that wasn’t the case. You’d have the occasional turd, but most companies and tradesman knew their jobs and did them well. Now it’s rare to find someone who’s good at what they’re being paid to be a professional (insert trade here).

It’s why I love bourbon so much. If distillers start screwing that up, I’m done.
iVe09NV82gm1a.gif

Back in the day (talking late 70's ) I used to walk down the "crick" on our families farm between North Platte and Hershey and collect Mussels that I guess flowed in from the overflow of the North Platte River. Never really understood how they got there but they were great bait for Channel catfish at Lake Maloney. Fished the inlet to Maloney and the locals were amazed at the way the channel cats scooped up the mussels. Only draw back was the Carp would often beat them to the bait.

Back in the day (talking late 70's ) I used to walk down the "crick" on our families farm between North Platte and Hershey and collect Mussels that I guess flowed in from the overflow of the North Platte River. Never really understood how they got there but they were great bait for Channel catfish at Lake Maloney. Fished the inlet to Maloney and the locals were amazed at the way the channel cats scooped up the mussels. Only draw back was the Carp would often beat them to the bait.

Small world; I fished Maloney a ton as a kid, before I discovered stream trout fishing. Caught about every kind of fish imaginable there. And got lucky one night 39 years ago that I didn't catch something else in a tent off the outlet . :cool: Fished the outlet area more than inlet. Lots of white bass, walleye, channel cats, perch, drum, carp, and once hooked the biggest northern I have ever seen off a dock during the night. Panicked when I saw it and promptly had everything broken off.

Small world; I fished Maloney a ton as a kid, before I discovered stream trout fishing. Caught about every kind of fish imaginable there. And got lucky one night 39 years ago that I didn't catch something else in a tent off the outlet . :cool: Fished the outlet area more than inlet. Lots of white bass, walleye, channel cats, perch, drum, carp, and once hooked the biggest northern I have ever seen off a dock during the night. Panicked when I saw it and promptly had everything broken off.
Reading between the lines....was the last bolded sentence supposed to follow the first bolded sentence?

Please keep them stinking mussels out of "my lakes". They're an invasive species that causes more problems vs the benefits of catching some catfish or carp. No, Smoker, no fishing on the weekend. I'd rather hit the lakes early mornings during the week when boat traffic is slower which makes the fishing more peaceful. Brother-in-law and I caught our limit of walleye Thursday morning by 0805 but edible bean planting takes precedent for the next few days.........then on the lake(s) again !

Fly fishing Sucks by the way. What's funny though is, I used to love tying my own fly fishing flies for large mouth bass and crappie as me and a HS buddy were highly successful at it as HS kids. We used regular casting instead of fly rods. I still think fly fishing sucks. ;)

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back