• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Tailgate Fish Fry

I tried to do some fly tying and got okay at it, but the time and patience required escaped me at the time. Maybe I should bust out my fly tying kit and try again now that I am older and a fraction more patient.

I highly recommend it. I never started tying flies until 8 years ago, and I can't help but think how much I would have enjoyed it for decades more if I had started earlier. If you like fishing saltwater, there have been an unbelievable number of new patterns of saltwater flies and a lot of really cool materials to make them. Google videos for "Enrico Puglisi flies" and pick one that looks like something you would want to fish and watch it. I'll bet that it will take less than 2-3 videos, and you'll be wanting to get out your fly tying gear.

I'm guessing I've fly fished at least a hundred streams, creeks and rivers in the years I've been fly fishing and one fly has caught more trout, salmon, char and grayling, regardless of what part of the country, time of day, year, water conditions, temperature, etc. than any other. The gold ribbed hares ear. Started fishing it with a drop (either elk hair caddis or royal humpy depending on the hatch) and the catch rate went way up. The textbook days with perfect water and a hatch to match and cast dry flies is rarer than I'd ever thought. Sometimes it's blocking and tackling. Fullback up the gut. Gold ribbed hares ear.
GoldRibbedHaresEar_2048x2048.jpg

I don't fly fish down here as much as I did in Colorado, but I still do and still tie my own. We do have some pretty good trout streams an hour or so North of me in the North Carolina mountains. I need to frequent them more often.
I've become friends with several guys through a Facebook fly fishing group who are from North Carolina. My in-laws now live in Fredericksburg, VA, so I've fished a bunch of places there for smallmouth and trout, but I've yet to make it to NC. My wife's cousin is stationed in Hubert, and we're hoping/planning to visit them this summer. He wants to take me out in kayaks for redfish, and I want to take him to some of the NC trout streams.

I've become friends with several guys through a Facebook fly fishing group who are from North Carolina. My in-laws now live in Fredericksburg, VA, so I've fished a bunch of places there for smallmouth and trout, but I've yet to make it to NC. My wife's cousin is stationed in Hubert, and we're hoping/planning to visit them this summer. He wants to take me out in kayaks for redfish, and I want to take him to some of the NC trout streams.

I wanted to try Reds on the fly rod when I was working in Charleston a few years back but never got the chance. I tied a couple of shrimp patterns I thought might work, but never got to prove my theory. Now NC trout streams I've seen. French Broad, Davidson, Hazel Creek, Forney Creek, lots of options I never would have guessed before I lived here.

I highly recommend it. I never started tying flies until 8 years ago, and I can't help but think how much I would have enjoyed it for decades more if I had started earlier. If you like fishing saltwater, there have been an unbelievable number of new patterns of saltwater flies and a lot of really cool materials to make them. Google videos for "Enrico Puglisi flies" and pick one that looks like something you would want to fish and watch it. I'll bet that it will take less than 2-3 videos, and you'll be wanting to get out your fly tying gear.

I have used my gear with a sand crab fly to catch Corbina's in the surf, very fun.

C

Fly fishing is a whole other world of fishing
Have trout fished in Wyoming and Colorado, but nothing is as good as Cherry County Nebraska.
I don't fly fish down here as much as I did in Colorado
Would love to get back there again or to Cherry County per your recommendation.
Agree a million times
The ol' Snake!
I had never fly fished.
I've fished there!
I accidentally derailed this thread, so I started another one for fly fishing. Go here and drop a picture or a meme or something, and let's see if we can't keep it going.

I wanted to try Reds on the fly rod when I was working in Charleston a few years back but never got the chance. I tied a couple of shrimp patterns I thought might work, but never got to prove my theory. Now NC trout streams I've seen. French Broad, Davidson, Hazel Creek, Forney Creek, lots of options I never would have guessed before I lived here.

The North Mills River was my go to when I was in school in Asheville. My worry is that part of Asheville is getting built up especially with Sierra Nevada building their monstrous brewery/restaurant, so I actually have no idea if my old fishing spots are even good anymore.

The North Mills River was my go to when I was in school in Asheville. My worry is that part of Asheville is getting built up especially with Sierra Nevada building their monstrous brewery/restaurant, so I actually have no idea if my old fishing spots are even good anymore.

I hear ya.

Colorado has changed as well. My ‘go to’ on the Eagle River is now someone’s back yard.

I hear ya.

Colorado has changed as well. My ‘go to’ on the Eagle River is now someone’s back yard.

I still have such great memories of that place though. Since they used to have designated trout seasons in NC, the official start of the season was March 1. My parents always wondered why my GPA plummeted in spring semester. I finally told them after I graduated that after March 1, if it was nice out, I wouldn't go to afternoon classes for a month.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back