• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Tailgate Fish Fry

img20171124_231511.jpg
img20171105_085203.jpg

Nostradumbass, the fry master at work!

How many pounds of fish do you think you will need for this @ksuhusker ?
Will we need to change oil in the fryer to finish out? Or just cook till the oil is used up and call it good? @Nostradumbass

I'm starting get the tailgate equipment line up and organized.
Last year we cooked until the oil needed changed, probably about 35-45 lbs of fish.
I gave the rest to you guys and all of my neighbors. I'll bring what I have when the time comes and it'll probably be about the same as last year. Maybe not quite as much. The freezer is already pretty full 1/2 Walleye, a few bags of crappie, and a good amount of Flathead. Hoping for just walleye and crappie.

Last year we cooked until the oil needed changed, probably about 35-45 lbs of fish.
I gave the rest to you guys and all of my neighbors. I'll bring what I have when the time comes and it'll probably be about the same as last year. Maybe not quite as much. The freezer is already pretty full 1/2 Walleye, a few bags of crappie, and a good amount of Flathead. Hoping for just walleye and crappie.
There will be around 120 people.
I will have other food to serve also

Pike was the only fish that my dad ever wanted to keep for eating. There were/are some big pike in a specific spot in a stream that I fish for trout, so I would try to catch a big one or a couple medium-sized ones for him every spring to eat.

If you're willing to experiment until you get it right, you can fillet them without the Y-bones. There are two ways that I know to do it. Both work best with larger pike. Here's a method that seems complicated when you listen/watch, but it's actually fairly straight forward when you try it:

This method looks easy when they do it, but it takes a bit of practice. If you do it, assume that you'll mess up the first few times, but even if you have to make multiple cuts, the meat still tastes the same:

it is a lot of work and leave a lot of meat behind

it is a lot of work and leave a lot of meat behind
It's definitely extra work, but it gets quicker with practice, and there isn't much meat left if you get good at the second method. You have to admit that it's less work than grinding it up and then cleaning up the grinder. Mostly, I'd just like to see people taking more pike out of fisheries where there are a lot of mid-sized ones. Ideally, leave the biggest ones, and keep everything smaller than 3'.

There will be around 120 people.
I will have other food to serve also
@Smoker, have you ever smoked trout? I haven't, but my brother-in-law just started, and now I'm keeping all of the hatchery trout that I catch for him. If you want some, I can get some to you also.

It's definitely extra work, but it gets quicker with practice, and there isn't much meat left if you get good at the second method. You have to admit that it's less work than grinding it up and then cleaning up the grinder. Mostly, I'd just like to see people taking more pike out of fisheries where there are a lot of mid-sized ones. Ideally, leave the biggest ones, and keep everything smaller than 3'.
Do like the bigger ones anyways. i just use blender and make fish patties

How many pounds of fish do you think you will need for this @ksuhusker ?
Will we need to change oil in the fryer to finish out? Or just cook till the oil is used up and call it good? @Nostradumbass

I'm starting get the tailgate equipment line up and organized.
We did 55 lbs last year before the oil needed filtered. This year I’ll change the breading recipe a bit so there won’t be so much “sludge” in the oil.....should get a few more miles out of it this way. Might also make an extra batch of oil if it looks like we’ll have high numbers

I thought we did 55 lbs last year

I’m sure you’re already doing this, but let’s be sure to have the mud suckers in clearly labeled bags at the bottom of the cooler with a sign that read “only use in case of emergency” ;)

Do like the bigger ones anyways. i just use blender and make fish patties
The bigger ones are definitely easier to clean, more to eat, and better to eat all around, but in smaller fisheries, they are the garbage men who take out the trash. If you keep them, you don't have very many hammer-handles.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back