• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Tackling techniques

eyesonNU

Junior Varsity
20 Year Member
In my youth, a long time ago, we were taught to tackle by leading with our head, slide to a shoulder, and wrap up while continuing to drive forward into the ball carrier. I understand that the head first method is too dangerous, and that the shoulder should lead.
So why do I see almost every DB try what you could call a cross-body block method of tackling? Why do the coaches let them do it this way? They can't wrap up, they have lost their footing and can't react to a change in direction. The ball carrier can basically aim at the DBs head to get a targeting call.
Can the more knowledgeable folks here help me out in understanding this? Is there a good reason that the DBs do this other than poor coaching?

In my youth, a long time ago, we were taught to tackle by leading with our head, slide to a shoulder, and wrap up while continuing to drive forward into the ball carrier. I understand that the head first method is too dangerous, and that the shoulder should lead.
So why do I see almost every DB try what you could call a cross-body block method of tackling? Why do the coaches let them do it this way? They can't wrap up, they have lost their footing and can't react to a change in direction. The ball carrier can basically aim at the DBs head to get a targeting call.
Can the more knowledgeable folks here help me out in understanding this? Is there a good reason that the DBs do this other than poor coaching?
If you recall from your playing days, tackling at full speed without getting your head involved is incredibly difficult. Perfect technique works well if you’re running a tackling drill at practice, but in the open field against elite athletes, it’s really difficult. Other leagues allow more incidental contact but the B1G has been less forgiving, especially toward the Husker.

But to your point, we’re going to have to adjust and figure out how we’re going to tackle well without getting hit with 15 yard penalties and ejections. I have loved the Husker for 5 decades, and I’m all for making the game safer. But the current rules, or application of the rules is making the game almost unwatchable.

So are they just trying to take up as much lateral room as possible so as to not completely whiff? I don't know, just want to understand so I can maybe quit yelling at the TV.

Totally agree... I've written here about this at least 6-7 times. Defender thinks he's gonna shoulder block someone to the ground, really blow him up, so to get himself on the highlight reel. Only to have the runner keep going cause the defender didnt wrapup. It happens in evergame I watch, college and nfl

If you recall from your playing days, tackling at full speed without getting your head involved is incredibly difficult. Perfect technique works well if you’re running a tackling drill at practice, but in the open field against elite athletes, it’s really difficult. Other leagues allow more incidental contact but the B1G has been less forgiving, especially toward the Husker.

But to your point, we’re going to have to adjust and figure out how we’re going to tackle well without getting hit with 15 yard penalties and ejections. I have loved the Husker for 5 decades, and I’m all for making the game safer. But the current rules, or application of the rules is making the game almost unwatchable.

We will have to go to the HUG and roll technique. Run up to the ball carrier, and hug them, then gently lower them to the ground. *sigh*

6590A60B-E653-4814-87C1-5B4E939C9171.jpeg

Last edited:
To answer the question of the thread, tackling someone while going about 18 mph with your arms opened up, in order to wrap up, separates shoulders. The obvious solution is to gather and tackle, however, at the speed of today's game, that usually isn't a viable option. It's not like 99% of players flying up on ball carriers have all chosen to do it wrong. They just know what happens when you hit someone squarely with your arm outstretched.

Edit: this doesn't pertain to the guys (like LBs) who shoulder block at low speeds. Now THAT is bad bad football.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back