• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Summer Baseball for Nebraska Players

68hskr

Travel Squad
15 Year Member
In the past, there was always a thread telling us where players were playing. I noticed on Facebook that Luke Roskam and Chance Hroch are playing for the Grand Junction Rockies. This is an independant professional team that used to be associated with The Colorado Rockies. I Guess I don't understand this as the draft has not happened yet. Did these guys just sign with this team? Are they not waiting for the Draft? Is this not considered a Professional team?

Evidently both of them had great first appearances:

Luke Roskam

2HR, 2RBI, 2BB

Chance Hroch 7IP, 1RUN, 1K

Does anyone know how they can play professional baseball before the Draft? Maybe I am just missing something.

It's independent ball, think Saltdogs in Lincoln but a tad higher level. Those with expired eligibility are free to do what they want. Most summer teams won't take a player without eligibility, so their only option is independent ball.

As far as where the current guys are playing this summer, I'll try to get a list to share. Mason is in Savanah to play for the Bananas, Cervantes is in California, Anglim is in Kansas, Everitt & Bragg are in North Carolina (CPL League). Some aren't playing; Schwelly is gone, Povich doing private workouts for MLB teams, Wynne working out in Cleveland all summer, Perry & Bunz taking it off I believe, Gomes coaching/rehabbing, Schreiber is rumored to be hanging up the cleats).

Last edited:
It's independent ball, think Saltdogs in Lincoln but a tad higher level. Those with expired eligibility are free to do what they want. Most summer teams won't take a player without eligibility, so their only option is independent ball.

As far as where the current guys are playing this summer, I'll try to get a list to share. Mason is in Savanah to play for the Bananas, Cervantes is in California, Anglim is in Kansas, Everitt & Bragg are in North Carolina (CPL League). Some aren't playing; Schwelly is gone, Povich doing private workouts for MLB teams, Wynne working out in Cleveland all summer, Perry & Bunz taking it off I believe, Gomes coaching/rehabbing, Schreiber is rumored to be hanging up the cleats).
Pertaining to Max Schreiber, Injury-related? burned out? No confidence? Whaddup with that? :(

Last edited:

Thank you for the explanation.

Schreiber, Hellstrom & Kissack are gone for certain. Coach Harvell mentioned it in a Rivals interview recently. He did say they're trying to keep Hellstrom as a staff member.

Reviving this with some investigation. Appears that Brice Matthews and Jack Steil playing with St. Cloud Rox in the North Woods League (both with decent numbers so far). Ethan Bradford and Emmett Olson pitching for the La Crosse Loggers in the NWL as well. And catcher commit Josh Caron getting time in with the Madison Mallards.

Looked through the rosters of the California Collegiate League and couldn’t track anyone there. Going through rosters of both of those summer ball circuits (NWL and CCL), saw a lot of Creighton players (neither here nor there, just an observation).

GBR!

Last edited:
A little more diligence on this than my earlier effort, appropriately supplied by the NU overlords:

1627916067209.png

Rising sophomores Max and Brice both near 0.300 in over 100 ABs against high level competition...with wood bats, I'm pretty sure. Future is bright! GBR!

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back