• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Suh to Tampa

There have been a number of quality DL's for NU, starting with Rich Glover in '70 and '71, who had the game of his life against OU in '71 against their AA center.
Which was better? Glover's performance against OU in '71 or Suh's performance against Texas in '09?

I disagree with that.

Prince Akuamura
Phillip Dillard
Jared Crick
Eric Hagg
Blake Lawrence
Eric Martin
Will Compton
Pierre Allen
Larry Asante
DeJon Gomes

All guys who've had at least a cup of coffee with the NFL. NU's defense was NC worthy ... led by Suh of course ... coupled with a pathetic offense.
I agree. The 09' defense was loaded. Suh definitely was "the man" on that D though.

I disagree with that.

Prince Akuamura
Phillip Dillard
Jared Crick
Eric Hagg
Blake Lawrence
Eric Martin
Will Compton
Pierre Allen
Larry Asante
DeJon Gomes

All guys who've had at least a cup of coffee with the NFL. NU's defense was NC worthy ... led by Suh of course ... coupled with a pathetic offense.
I don't believe the over all talent level was close between the teams Suh played on versus Glover. Compton was a RSF in 09 and hardly close to how good he became. Martin only made 3 years in the NFL before moving on the Canada? Prince was an outstanding player and proved it in the NFL. Having said that many excellent college players don't make great NFL players for a variety of reasons.

It's difficult to compare teams and players so many years apart. I just feel Glover played with far better over all talent then Suh.. As I said that's debatable... however Glover played with Willie Harper, John Dutton and Larry Jacobson... other then Suh none of our defensive players are in the same league with the 3 defensive players I just mentioned imo.

Last edited:
Which was better? Glover's performance against OU in '71 or Suh's performance against Texas in '09?
If this is a sincere question, it's actually tough to answer it. Suh's performance stands out more because there were so many replays, so many times, but go back and watch the '71 Oklahoma game and see if you can clearly claim that Suh was definitely more dominant than Glover. What was even more impressive is that in both games they were going against top-notch O-linemen, who they made look foolish and incompetent. I personally think that Suh's game was the most dominant individual performance by a defender in college football history, but I'm not going to argue with someone who thought Glover's was as good or better. I can say this with certainty: It was a heck of a lot harder to tackle Jack Mildren than Colt McCoy.

John Dutton and Larry Jacobson
Unrelated to Suh, but ... John Dutton graduated from Rapid City Central and Larry Jacobson graduated from Sioux Falls O'Gorman, both in South Dakota. A decade later they had Doug Herman, who was from Custer, SD. Nebraska is due for another stud D-lineman out of South Dakota. Hello, Nash Hutmacher. All of the above were multi-sport stud athletes.

I don't believe the over all talent level was close between the teams Suh played on versus Glover. Compton was a RSF in 09 and hardly close to how good he became. Martin only made 3 years in the NFL before moving on the Canada? Prince was an outstanding player and proved it in the NFL. Having said that many excellent college players don't make great NFL players for a variety of reasons.

It's difficult to compare teams and players so many years apart. I just feel Glover played with far better over all talent then Suh.. As I said that's debatable... however Glover played with Willie Harper, John Dutton and Larry Jacobson... other then Suh none of our defensive players are in the same league with the 3 defensive players I just mentioned imo.
Good point

When he went to LA with a one-year deal, the talk was he was doing this in order to raise his stalk to land one last, highly compensated multi-year contract. Now we find out he has signed another one-year deal for what appears to be less money for a lower tier team. Love Suh but don't like the trajectory of this for the big guy...

Last edited:

Lol right after we changed his 30 foot picture in the weight room to the one of him with the Rams to make him happy. Oh well, got that B1G revenue now.
How will we ever raise the money to update his image? ;) If I were him and donated that much money to build the place and have it named after me, I probably would also ask for my image to be updated. Just sayin' :Biggrin:

Unrelated to Suh, but ... John Dutton graduated from Rapid City Central and Larry Jacobson graduated from Sioux Falls O'Gorman, both in South Dakota. A decade later they had Doug Herman, who was from Custer, SD. Nebraska is due for another stud D-lineman out of South Dakota. Hello, Nash Hutmacher. All of the above were multi-sport stud athletes.
That's interesting... never knew that! They are some GREAT players coming from the same area...

If this is a sincere question, it's actually tough to answer it. Suh's performance stands out more because there were so many replays, so many times, but go back and watch the '71 Oklahoma game and see if you can clearly claim that Suh was definitely more dominant than Glover. What was even more impressive is that in both games they were going against top-notch O-linemen, who they made look foolish and incompetent. I personally think that Suh's game was the most dominant individual performance by a defender in college football history, but I'm not going to argue with someone who thought Glover's was as good or better. I can say this with certainty: It was a heck of a lot harder to tackle Jack Mildren than Colt McCoy.
What's funny is Rich would only be a decent sized LB now at 6'1" 233... how times have changed!

Last edited:

Rich Glover never bulldozed Cody Hawkins right in front of his daddy though...

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back