• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Suh / Rodgers - “Let’s talk some things out”

Like most of us, I will always love Suh for what he did as a Husker. He was possibly the most dominant defensive player in the history of college football and he should've won the Heisman Trophy his senior year.

That said, he has crossed an ugly line several times during his NFL career.
The best defensive players always do.
Butkus
Mean Joe Greene
Lyle Alzado
Randy the Manster White
Dobler
Ray Lewis
Atwater
Jack Lambert
Deacon Jones.
Lawrence Taylor

They all believed that it was their job to make sure guys did not want to play after they hit them. Suh is only an anomaly in today's game. 20 years ago he would be the #1 selling jersey in the NFL.

The best defensive players always do.
Butkus
Mean Joe Greene
Lyle Alzado
Randy the Manster White
Dobler
Ray Lewis
Atwater
Jack Lambert
Deacon Jones.
Lawrence Taylor

They all believed that it was their job to make sure guys did not want to play after they hit them. Suh is only an anomaly in today's game. 20 years ago he would be the #1 selling jersey in the NFL.

Hitting guys is one thing, football is a violent game. Intentionally stepping on guys in an attempt to injure them is another matter IMO.

Hitting guys is one thing, football is a violent game. Intentionally stepping on guys in an attempt to injure them is another matter IMO.
Not a classy move, but it's not like Suh invented playing dirty or was the first to do it lol. It happens all the time in football, not saying what he did was right, just that singling him out is stupid.

LOL you obviously know nothing about the men whose names I put up there. ALL of them admitted to intentionally trying to hurt the opponents.
Butkus was an incredibly dirty player, especially by today’s standards. He would claw, kick, spit, pull, rip, punch and do anything to punish the opponent and strip the ball. He was once accused of biting a player’s finger in a pile. Butkus responded to the accusation stating:

“If I had bitten it, I would have bitten it off!”

“I’d probably be arrested with this bunch of guys, they’re soft — give me a break: These guys are soft,” Jones said. “I hit the head. I started there. . . . This game ain’t never going to be safe.”

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell released a statement on Tuesday calling Jones “an icon among icons,” but Goodell’s emphasis on player safety stands in sharp contrast to the way Jones played the game. Even after seeing how the game had changed in his retirement, old age didn’t soften Jones, who was asked in a 2008 interview if he had any regrets and answered, “Yes. . . . I’d kill more quarterbacks. That’s the only thing I could do differently. I couldn’t be any nastier. I couldn’t have any more intent. The only thing I do is execute better.”

His name alone is just mean. Alzado was signed by Al Davis after the Cleveland Browns traded him in 1982. Lyle Alzado had a tough life as a kid and put all his temper into football.

On the field he was an absolute animal and it helped him get a Super Bowl ring with the Oakland Raiders in 1983. Alzado's temper and meanness was known throughout the NFL. He would shove, push opposing lineman and at one point he threw his helmet at an opponent's helmet.

Not a classy move, but it's not like Suh invented playing dirty or was the first to do it lol. It happens all the time in football, not saying what he did was right, just that singling him out is stupid.

I didn’t single him out, the thread is about Suh is it not?

I’m happy to discuss those other guys as well, Dobler was one of the dirtiest players in the game, eye gouging, spitting, etc.

Let’s be honest; blindsiding a guy with a cut at his knees, or blow to the head is trying to injure. Most of us have been stepped on; hand, calf, groin, and no doubt it hurts, but it rarely causes serious injury. I played a little on the less than cordial side, though I never cut a guys legs or anything like that. I did believe in the hard foul, one that would likely get me a flagrant or tossed now. It didn’t put people out of a game, but it did change how some played going forward. Suh tries to break a players rhythm, and Rodgers is a really good QB when he’s allowed to get in a rhythm.

Last edited:

LOL you obviously know nothing about the men whose names I put up there. ALL of them admitted to intentionally trying to hurt the opponents.

I know all about those guys, grew up watching them play. But this thread was about Suh so that’s what I commented on.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back