• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Suggestions for BBQ team name

Big Red Butts would be a great name.

file.jpg

Black-crested-macaque-Aberdeen-mascot.jpg

I appreciate all of the suggestions, and may refer back to this in the future. For the time being, I selected H.A.M.S. (Heart Attack Meat Stack) for our team name.

I got the details on the amount of meat I need to smoke for this event, and it's pretty daunting. It's going to amount to over 200 pounds of brisket, pulled pork, and ribs. Only a portion goes to the judges, and the rest will be to serve the community at the street dance. Needless to say, this will require a pretty large smoker, more capacity than what I currently have. If anyone has a large smoker (like something on a trailer) that they want to donate or sell, let me know.

A couple of people have asked where this event is being held. This is for the Bands, Brews, and BBQ event in Cozad, NE on July 11. It's not an official KCBS (Kansas City Barbecue Society) event, but I'm hoping to use this event as a measuring stick to see if judges like my cooking. If so, I may try to get myself involved in some other events this year or next.

I've put together a 5-man team (myself and 4 others), but none of us have ever really cooked together. We have a lot of work to do in the next two months. My wife has generously agreed to let me spend a little money on "practice meat" so we can get things the way we want them. So if you're in the Omaha area between now and July, there's a good chance I'll have some bbq going on the weekend... hit me up if you want a sample. Also, feel free to check out the actual event in Cozad. I believe it's $15 at the door for all-you-can-eat bbq from the different teams, a band or two on stage, and beer stands set up throughout the block.

I'm putting it on my calendar. We'll see if I get the courage to leave my basement.

Sooooo...

Bought a big smoker on a trailer and a pickup to pull it this weekend. Getting serious... giving the smoker a trial run today.

Sooooo...

Bought a big smoker on a trailer and a pickup to pull it this weekend. Getting serious... giving the smoker a trial run today.

Like to see the smoker you bought. Years ago I used to serve BBQ at that street dance in cozad off my big ass cooker

Bump.

Good luck, Thill. I thought I was going to be able to make it out, but I got talked out of retirement to catch in a fast pitch softball tournament this weekend.

I consider myself a pretty good wordsmith but have to admit there are a lot of great suggestions in this thread...can't believe I missed it! Which name did you go with, T?

Bump.

Good luck, Thill. I thought I was going to be able to make it out, but I got talked out of retirement to catch in a fast pitch softball tournament this weekend.

Thanks man. I'm really nervous about this thing. What if my food sucks, but nobody has had the courage to actually tell me? I think it's good, but you never really know until you get an unbiased opinion. Anyway, I think I have pretty much all the supplies I need. It's a lot different when you're not doing this at home with everything available whenever you need it.

If you get knocked out of the softball tournament early, bring the team out for some bbq and beers. :) :)

I consider myself a pretty good wordsmith but have to admit there are a lot of great suggestions in this thread...can't believe I missed it! Which name did you go with, T?

We are Heart Attack Meat Stack (H.A.M.S.) BBQ.
hams-bbq-0.jpg

Banner - fire.jpg

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back