• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Strong traction that PennSt OhioSt Michigan and Nebraska will all join the Big12 for the upcoming season.

The Big 12 is already getting paid whether four Big Ten teams join them or not. If four teams join under the current Big 12 TV contract, they have to split to pie further than they are currently -- meaning each current Big 12 team gets less. Why would they do that? The only way would be if the Big 12 was able to revise their current TV contract to make up the difference lost (at least) under the current contract. I fail to believe the wheels are already in motion for this -- considering the Big Ten still hasn't cancelled anything. And I doubt new TV contracts are done with just a snap of the fingers. The Big 12 is not looking for a way to make less money per school.
That may all be true but how does the big 12 lose money by playing games it wouldn't have played without us joining?

The Big 12 is already getting paid whether four Big Ten teams join them or not. If four teams join under the current Big 12 TV contract, they have to split to pie further than they are currently -- meaning each current Big 12 team gets less. Why would they do that? The only way would be if the Big 12 was able to revise their current TV contract to make up the difference lost (at least) under the current contract. I fail to believe the wheels are already in motion for this -- considering the Big Ten still hasn't cancelled anything. And I doubt new TV contracts are done with just a snap of the fingers. The Big 12 is not looking for a way to make less money per school.

I guess that would be my question...if these BIG teams play could they not still get paid on their current TV contracts? Take the total contract divide it by games played and pay on a per game basis. Big 12 team gets their revenue and the 4 BIG teams get paid at a per game rate under the BIG contract...

These are some of the reasons I don't see it happening, but whatever the B1G thinks they can do to Nebraska, they will also have to do to Ohio St., Michigan and Penn. St.. Just think what the B1G would look like without these 4 schools. Does the B1G want to risk giving up Power 5 status to wherever these 4 schools end up?

I don't have all the answers -- but I'd probably ponder this even more than I have if it actually came from a source with more than zero credentials. For now, all I see is Danny Ross -- not officially a reporter for anyone, but a father, son, husband, and Longhorn -- who has been on Twitter since 2019 with what was 200-some followers before tonight -- who claims to have inside sources. I mean, there's several people here on HuskerMax who have greater ties than this so-called Danny Ross the Longhorn fan. But damn, he's been effective -- because his Tweet is getting re-tweeted and discussed all over the place tonight.

That may all be true but how does the big 12 lose money by playing games it wouldn't have played without us joining?

Last I knew, the Big 12 was playing a conference schedule as well as at least some teams playing non-conference games in week one. Unless the TV contract is restructured at an increase, the pieces of pie would be smaller by adding 4 more teams -- when they wouldn't be needing more than 2 more games per team to have a full 12 (as if a full 12 is needed).

The current Big 12 TV contract is roughly $400 million split among 10 teams for $40 million per school. If the Big 12 splits it among 14 teams, that's $28.6 million per school -- or a $12.4 million dollar loss per current Big 12 team -- I fail to believe adding teams and two games for each Big 12 school would be enough to make up that difference. The Big 12 isn't going to do this unless it benefits them financially. As of now, it's a long ways from a financial benefit -- minus a newly restructured TV contract -- but they'd have to be assured of that before inviting four Big Ten schools to join them. Yes -- great benefit for the four Big Ten schools -- but I'm not seeing it for the Big 12 as of now.

Last edited:

I guess that would be my question...if these BIG teams play could they not still get paid on their current TV contracts? Take the total contract divide it by games played and pay on a per game basis. Big 12 team gets their revenue and the 4 BIG teams get paid at a per game rate under the BIG contract...

Well, obviously a ton to work out financially -- which is why I'm skeptical of a rumor that is in place while the Big Ten hasn't cancelled anything (yet?). You aren't negotiating finances at this point. Would the current TV contract with the Big Ten be willing to pay out the same for only four teams playing instead of 14? Or any at all?

I guess I can't 100% rule out anything, but I'd sure like a little more meat behind this rumor than the microscopic morsel is currently is -- or morsel that wouldn't even exist minus the insane power of social media.

Twitter = Those Gossipin' Men

lots of fake news

I think this rumor shows how dire the reality is for college football. While fun to speculate, this is a bad idea and very, very unlikely. I am bummed.

Last edited:

Another thought (by the way, I appreciate the interesting discussion, peeps) ...

The Big Ten commissioner has apparently said he wants the season moved to spring. Let's say that's what the Big Ten goes with. Well, then I don't see how Penn State, Ohio State, Michigan, and Nebraska can readily jump ship. I do not see the Big Ten okaying some of their teams playing in the fall and some in the spring. Sure, there's some argument if the season is scrapped entirely -- but very little if it's moved to spring. That said, I really don't like the idea of the season played in the spring -- but if that's deemed the only viable alternative, you just go with it.

Another thought (by the way, I appreciate the interesting discussion, peeps) ...

The Big Ten commissioner has apparently said he wants the season moved to spring. Let's say that's what the Big Ten goes with. Well, then I don't see how Penn State, Ohio State, Michigan, and Nebraska can readily jump ship. I do not see the Big Ten okaying some of their teams playing in the fall and some in the spring. Sure, there's some argument if the season is scrapped entirely -- but very little if it's moved to spring. That said, I really don't like the idea of the season played in the spring -- but if that's deemed the only viable alternative, you just go with it.
IF this is true, OSU and Michigan together could dictate to Warren how its going to be, imo. Add in Penn State and there wont be a peep. I cant imagine the other schools overruling the prestige programs if they want to try this. So OSU and Michigan would together decide if they prefer this to maybe trying in the spring and then get the other schools to ratify. If it's truly that the other schools dont want to try, they're not going to put up a fight to stop the big boys from doing it.

All that said I think the idea is far fetched. Someone may have thought of it and then everyone else said Wow! But putting it all together would take a lot to happen right in very little time.

Jmo.

Last edited:

spring football makes absolutely no sense. how can you have another season a couple months later?

IF this is true, OSU and Michigan together could dictate to Warren how its going to be, imo. Add in Penn State and there wont be a peep. I cant imagine the other schools overruling the prestige programs if they want to try this. So OSU and Michigan would together decide if they prefer this to maybe trying in the spring and then get the other schools to ratify. If it's truly that the other schools dont want to try, they're not going to put up a fight to stop the big boys from doing it.

Jmo.

Do you believe there's any reason to believe the Tweet rumor from a Tweeter with zero mentioned connections, "father, son, husband, Longhorn fan," who has been on Twitter only since last year and had about 200 followers as of 8 hours ago?

I struggle to grab onto this and try to reason why it could happen when there's so little substance behind it. Literally just about any HuskerMax poster with a Twitter account could Tweet out that Nebraska's Bill Moos is putting the wheels in motion to permanently depart the Big Ten" and it wouldn't be that hard to get it to make the rounds all over the social media circle in less than 24 hours time. We are in such a world of confusion and unknowns in college football right now, we'll readily grab and run with anything. I'm not a fake news person at all. Totally respect the media. But it's people with zero credentials on social media that have way too much power and are fully capable of creating fake news, resulting in the media itself looking bad for no reason.

Yes, I know you are saying "if this is true," but with this one I have to take the "I refuse to believe it's true until there's more evidence for me to consider it." Who is this Danny Ross who doesn't seem to have any significant connections to anything worthy? I suppose more than anything, I'm bothered by how easy it is for just anyone to have this much influence.

Hey -- if it turns out Nebraska, Penn State, Michigan, and Ohio State are playing Big 12 schedules this fall -- I'll readily admit my skepticism was too extreme. For now, I tend to think I'm every bit as qualified as Danny Ross on this rumor -- which means neither of us are qualified at all.

Anyhow, everything is freaking crazy now. I should know better than to doubt anything. I miss the days when this would be easily dismissed.

spring football makes absolutely no sense. how can you have another season a couple months later?

I think it's a joke too, as I've said in other posts.

No player is going to want to play through April and maybe into May and then be prepping for the next season 2-3 months later. Wear and tear will be extreme. In fact, it could have significant injury impacts the following fall season as bodies were not able to get the necessary time to rest and recover. As I said in another thread, if it were me, I'd ask to redshirt in the spring if I had one available.

And as I've also said -- no player with any professional football aspirations and eligibility to declare for the draft will play college football in the spring. Not a single one.

Spring football would be a shell of what it should be. And would likely be a detriment to the following fall season. It seems likely to overlap with college basketball -- and good luck with that. The NCAA tournament is from mid-March to the Final Four during the first week of April -- and somehow we'll have college football on top of that? C'mon now. Seems like a sports fantasy -- I'll give it that.

Last edited:

Do you believe there's any reason to believe the Tweet rumor from a Tweeter with zero mentioned connections, "father, son, husband, Longhorn fan," who has been on Twitter only since last year and had about 200 followers as of 8 hours ago?

I struggle to grab onto this and try to reason why it could happen when there's so little substance behind it. Literally just about any HuskerMax poster with a Twitter account could Tweet out that Nebraska's Bill Moos is putting the wheels in motion to permanently depart the Big Ten" and it wouldn't be that hard to get it to make the rounds all over the social media circle in less than 24 hours time. We are in such a world of confusion and unknowns in college football right now, we'll readily grab and run with anything. I'm not a fake news person at all. Totally respect the media. But it's people with zero credentials on social media that have way too much power and are fully capable of creating fake news, resulting in the media itself looking bad for no reason.

Yes, I know you are saying "if this is true," but with this one I have to take the "I refuse to believe it's true until there's more evidence for me to consider it." Who is this Danny Ross who doesn't seem to have any significant connections to anything worthy? I suppose more than anything, I'm bothered by how easy it is for just anyone to have this much influence.

Hey -- if it turns out Nebraska, Penn State, Michigan, and Ohio State are playing Big 12 schedules this fall -- I'll readily admit my skepticism was too extreme. For now, I tend to think I'm every bit as qualified as Danny Ross on this rumor -- which means neither of us are qualified at all.

Anyhow, everything is freaking crazy now. I should know better than to doubt anything. I miss the days when this would be easily dismissed.
I had added another paragraph while you were typing this. To put it on perspective.

I knew when I typed the first part we were both debating unlikely hypotheticals. But I figured what the hell I got nothing better to do. And I think you're good enough at dealing realistically in hypotheticals that it isn't a total waste of time.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back