• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Strong traction that PennSt OhioSt Michigan and Nebraska will all join the Big12 for the upcoming season.

Why would OSU, Michigan and Penn State take NU along with them?

Some one said that would be the Big Four of Big Ten football. Really?

And I agree that Ohio State and Michigan own the Big Ten, so why drop the conference for even one year (let alone the lucrative Big Ten Network). And the other schools in the conference? What would they do?

Makes no sense in so many ways.

And I agree that Ohio State and Michigan own the Big Ten, so why drop the conference for even one year (let alone the lucrative Big Ten Network). And the other schools in the conference? What would they do?

Because Nebraska may stink in football but they still bring a lot of dollars and attention with them.

What makes you think that OSU/MU/Penn State are the ones taking anyone along? Of those 4 teams, one of them has relationships with most of the Big 12.

Last edited:
They could say goodbye to Nebraska, but obviously not so easy with Ohio State and Michigan. Or, I'd say if Nebraska tried to do this alone, the Big Ten wouldn't bend over for them.

My bigger issue is in trying to figure out how the Big 12 would benefit. There would need to be new TV contracts created -- or else each of the Big 12 teams would make less money/less of a TV revenue share from their current contract. The Big 12 just isn't going to do this unless they can gain from it financially. And for a temporary fix in short order, I'm not sure how. The Big Ten isn't going to cooperate on finances.
Not saying this could happen, but here is the wiifm for the B12. They get to keep the TV revenue for home games. Way, way more TV sets than normal intra-conference games. The carrot for the BIG? They get to keep some inventory - home games, and the $$ which flow.

Covid-19 could ,in theory, accelerate the idea of leaving the NCAA behind and restructuring the whole college football world. Many have talked about it, debated it, and made various suggestions on how to do it.
I wonder how these TV contracts are worded as far as clauses etc.?

It is interesting to think about and passes some time, anyway.

I'd like to see the Huskers play a few Big 8/Big 12 teams again. I've never liked Big 10 football and after all of these years in the conference, I still don't get as stoked about Nebraska playing Illinois, Northwestern, Purdue and the like. I don't know why.

Probably not practical, but I wonder if it would be possible to essentially combine this season and next. Begin in Spring and play about 6 games. Then take a break and play about 8 games in the Fall. Or perhaps 7 and 7. Then a post season.

Allow players who lost their last season of eligibility play all of it. Plus all of the freshmen. So they would have to allow for more scholarships. That would probably be the main obstacle.

And unlike Danny Ross, this guy has a ton of clout. Unfortunately, I think the more like scenario is that college football gets completely shutdown rather than wondering if Nebraska hooks up with the Big 12 for the season. Depressing indeed if this happens. Makes me feel good about purchasing a new bicycle today, however -- may have a lot of free time on my hands this fall.

Not saying this could happen, but here is the wiifm for the B12. They get to keep the TV revenue for home games. Way, way more TV sets than normal intra-conference games. The carrot for the BIG? They get to keep some inventory - home games, and the $$ which flow.
The TV would be enormous. They'd have to figure out how to split it but themoney would be there.

Last edited:
This ain't happenin'. Contracts with the B1G would never allow it and the courts would stop it.

If we find out this week that there will be no Nebraska football this year, I hope they don't have a spring season. That could take a player that gets hurt in game 1 in March out for 2 full seasons. That, to me, would just be stupid. I fear we will find out that we're done for this year.

Don't believe it. Once again, twitter's wild rumor ...... fake news.

All rumors are rumors until they are not. :)

Regardless, if the founder and CEO of 247 sports says it's going to be a sad week for college football, I'll consider that reality much more than Danny Ross the Longhorn fan saying four Big Ten teams will be joining the Big 12.

Last edited:
And unlike Danny Ross, this guy has a ton of clout. Unfortunately, I think the more like scenario is that college football gets completely shutdown rather than wondering if Nebraska hooks up with the Big 12 for the season. Depressing indeed if this happens. Makes me feel good about purchasing a new bicycle today, however -- may have a lot of free time on my hands this fall.

I think you're right, unfortunately. And it pisses.me off that the leaders in charge feel these decisions need to be made on August 9. So short-sighted. I hope they'll at least be honest and stop saying it's about the welfare of the student athlete. Because if they are seriously considering a spring season, they have zero concern for their welfare.

I think you're right, unfortunately. And it pisses.me off that the leaders in charge feel these decisions need to be made on August 9. So short-sighted. I hope they'll at least be honest and stop saying it's about the welfare of the student athlete. Because if they are seriously considering a spring season, they have zero concern for their welfare.

I definitely agree with the spring season argument -- it is among the most foolish things I've ever heard.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back