• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Storm clouds over UCLA

One thought is California might make UCLA share the $ from the B1G with the other state schools.
Wont happen. Precedent of other states like Iowa having two or more teams in differing conferences.
After the fact law adoption would be extremely hard to pull off.
Already sigs on dotted lines to the Big

Easy fix. Take stanford, OR and UW. Leave all of the UC schools in the cold.
Exactly what I was going to say after "sleeping" on it a bit. Exact 3 teams I was thinking of if UCLA stays home due to Kalifornia bureaucracy.

One thought is California might make UCLA share the $ from the B1G with the other state schools.
If I was UCLA, I would tell them to pound sand, and if made to stay put, take the huge monetary loss and cut other sports if they need to start saving money. Kind of the "cut off your own nose to spite your face" scenario.

LOS ANGELES (AP) — The departures of Southern California and UCLA from the Pac-12 Conference could mean an estimated loss of around $13 million per year in media rights for each of the remaining schools, according to an interim report issued by University of California Office of the President.

If I was UCLA, I would tell them to pound sand, and if made to stay put, take the huge monetary loss and cut other sports if they need to start saving money. Kind of the "cut off your own nose to spite your face" scenario.
From what I can tell, there is not much the state can do about this and UCLA is already bound by a contract to the big ten and TV networks. There would be lawsuits for days if the state tried to pull them back out, they could not afford to do it.

Last edited:
I'm not a fan of UCLA and USC joining the Big Ten. I know I'm woefully out of touch, but I don't like the super-conference concept. I still miss the days of the Big 8 when we played everyone every year. I think a conference means more if you are playing rivals in roughly the same geography. I understand that college football is changing and that we can't turn back the clock, but that doesn't mean that I have to like it.

Well, $ talks and BS walks. I don't like it either but this is what we now have. NU could always take a step backward and drop to 1A, join some rinky dink conference and maybe rule the roost there.

Not sure if this was posted elsewhere.

It seems that the UC Regents are considering blocking UCLA's move to the Big Ten. What a mess, particularly for UCLA given its athletics debt. I wonder if the Big Ten goes to court if the UC Regents try to block the move, or if the Big Ten just lets UCLA go back to the PAC.
The guy in the story had a power trip.

You know that authority we granted you way back in 1991 and had no problem with for 30 years. Well, we can actually just revoke that.

Good luck with that one. Not only did they allow the school to make decisions it became the defacto position for 30 years.

This guy is grandstanding because he doesn't have the votes with the other regents anyways.

From what I can tell, there is not much the state can do about this and UCLA is already bound by a contract to the big ten and TV networks. There would be lawsuits for days if the state tried to pull them back out, they could not afford to do it.
When has the ability to afford anything stopped California?

Be careful. Getting USC and UCLA is probably part of the $7 BILLION reasons the B1G will be getting starting next year.
Again, it was for the money, not the good of the sport. Sometimes, businesses push too hard to generate more money, but it ruins the product. Happens all the time. They have trashed 100 years of history in many cases, for money. It’s not worth it!

Again, it was for the money, not the good of the sport. Sometimes, businesses push too hard to generate more money, but it ruins the product. Happens all the time. They have trashed 100 years of history in many cases, for money. It’s not worth it!
In theory I agree with your point - there is a very real money component to this expansion that makes it feel However, CFB was going to change no matter what. I’m glad that our Cornhuskers are in a leading conference and that they will get additional national exposure. The days of purely regional matchups/conferences went away years ago, sadly…

In theory I agree with your point - there is a very real money component to this expansion that makes it feel However, CFB was going to change no matter what. I’m glad that our Cornhuskers are in a leading conference and that they will get additional national exposure. The days of purely regional matchups/conferences went away years ago, sadly…
So, history means nothing? Exactly my point. It didn’t have to be this way. USC and Rutgers DO NOT belong in a conference with Nebraska. Oklahoma State does not belong in a conference with BYU. It’s stupid. The fans can’t travel, which is what college football was, for 100+ years. That’s why you had out of conference games. It’s been fine for greed, not the good if the product.

Feels like the Texas situation when UT said they were out. Why would this be any different. They are out. The other schools aren't going to stop it like Texas Tech or TCU. Money talks, B.S. walks.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back