• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

State of the program

It would be really nice to be able to slip into that UCLA regional instead of the Nashville one.
I saw in one of their projections, we had a pretty favorable regional (besides the 1 seed we would play). Now this one doesn't look fun. I think things are pretty fluid, as you know.

I also see that Virginia may be on the verge of not making the field of 64. First, obviously need to fire O'Connor. But secondly, that's a name that i'd welcome back to Nebraska if we ever moved on.

I would gladly swap with Michigan for the Morgantown regional or Illinois for East Carolina. A two seed is great, but being in the 28-32 range is rough. Nice to be having this conversation, though. Boys playing well.

I would gladly swap with Michigan for the Morgantown regional or Illinois for East Carolina. A two seed is great, but being in the 28-32 range is rough. Nice to be having this conversation, though. Boys playing well.

The Huskers have a good ball club this year. They've impressed me. While they lack punch in the middle of the lineup and true table setters at the top of the lineup, they can pitch and field.

I'm not surprised at them dropping some midweeks. If I'm Erstad, I'm experimenting with lineups and batting orders all season long during the week to find out what will catch fire.

Just think, they a) haven't even really been outside yet, and b) they haven't gotten hot yet. Could be fun come May.

Just patting myself on the back!

Judging by the way the Husker bats have caught fire, and the way that they're winning when it matters, I have to tip my hat, and admit that I was wrong, and @Fromunda Cheese was right: It's a good thing we fired Erstad.... Wait ... what? You mean he's still coaching? What the heck? I thought he couldn't get a team to win when it mattered?

I'm so confused.

I just got back home from spending the weekend in Omaha at the BIG tourney. I really love attending the tourney in Omaha when the Huskers do well. Here are a couple of my thoughts.

1. After the second loss at Northwestern, I wouldn't have bet a nickel on us winning another game. I'm really proud of the fight this team showed. I'm also encouraged by the fact Erstad finally got a team out of a second half collapse.

2. Our pitching is really good. I don't think we have great talent, but they compete, throw strikes and locate well. Palkert is probably the best talent we have but how can you not love Matt Waldron?

3. Our batting is terrible. We have zero ability to ID pitches and no knowledge of the strike zone. Our number of swinging strikeouts on balls in the dirt is surpassed only by our number of strikeouts looking on pitches straight down the middle.

4. At the end of last year, I had zero hope for this team based on our inability to field and our anemic offense. We improved in both areas this year, but our batting is still not good. However, we do have a few bats that are encouraging for next year. Schwelly, Chick, and Palenski are all solid returners for next year. Throw in Mojo and Acker as serviceable and you're halfway to a good lineup. Palkert, Perry, and Shanaman have weekend starters written all over them and Gomes is a proven closer.

5. Make Omaha the permanent home of the BIG tourney. Last year's attendance was twice as good as the prior's attendance and that was without NU playing. This year with NU playing makes it incomparable to any other option.

6. NU fans rule. The stadium was rockin on Sunday and was the 2nd largest attendance at a baseball game this year. I still don't have a voice and I was a mild fan.

7. If you ever travel to the tourney, stay at the Hilton. Great hotel, great location and reasonably priced (Priceline got us $86 per night). All the teams stay there and we were able to cheer the team in the lobby coming and going. The Mrs had to keep me from misbehaving Saturday night when Michigan's #2 showed up, but otherwise a great experience.

Hoping for a strong showing at regionals. GBR

I just got back home from spending the weekend in Omaha at the BIG tourney. I really love attending the tourney in Omaha when the Huskers do well. Here are a couple of my thoughts.

1. After the second loss at Northwestern, I wouldn't have bet a nickel on us winning another game. I'm really proud of the fight this team showed. I'm also encouraged by the fact Erstad finally got a team out of a second half collapse.

2. Our pitching is really good. I don't think we have great talent, but they compete, throw strikes and locate well. Palkert is probably the best talent we have but how can you not love Matt Waldron?

3. Our batting is terrible. We have zero ability to ID pitches and no knowledge of the strike zone. Our number of swinging strikeouts on balls in the dirt is surpassed only by our number of strikeouts looking on pitches straight down the middle.

4. At the end of last year, I had zero hope for this team based on our inability to field and our anemic offense. We improved in both areas this year, but our batting is still not good. However, we do have a few bats that are encouraging for next year. Schwelly, Chick, and Palenski are all solid returners for next year. Throw in Mojo and Acker as serviceable and you're halfway to a good lineup. Palkert, Perry, and Shanaman have weekend starters written all over them and Gomes is a proven closer.

5. Make Omaha the permanent home of the BIG tourney. Last year's attendance was twice as good as the prior's attendance and that was without NU playing. This year with NU playing makes it incomparable to any other option.

6. NU fans rule. The stadium was rockin on Sunday and was the 2nd largest attendance at a baseball game this year. I still don't have a voice and I was a mild fan.

7. If you ever travel to the tourney, stay at the Hilton. Great hotel, great location and reasonably priced (Priceline got us $86 per night). All the teams stay there and we were able to cheer the team in the lobby coming and going. The Mrs had to keep me from misbehaving Saturday night when Michigan's #2 showed up, but otherwise a great experience.

Hoping for a strong showing at regionals. GBR

I think (hope) that the hitting is largely a product of having so many young guys. I'd like to see Gomes move up to 5 and add some punch, but he'll have to make some gains in the offseason. Out of the 11 position guys that played in the championship game, 7 were sophomores and freshmen. That is exciting.

I think (hope) that the hitting is largely a product of having so many young guys. I'd like to see Gomes move up to 5 and add some punch, but he'll have to make some gains in the offseason. Out of the 11 position guys that played in the championship game, 7 were sophomores and freshmen. That is exciting.

Basil, you've forgotten more about hitting than I'll ever know, so I thought I'd ask: It looks to me like Gomes is trying to pull everything. Teams have it figured out, and pitch him outside, and he flails miserably at it. Is their any merit to this amateur viewpoint?

Why are they struggling so much against left-handed pitching? @ShortSideOption has mentioned that he doesn't like how Erstad sometimes focuses too much on matchups. Is it that simple? What's going on there? I'm only a casual baseball fan, but it seemed clear that they were regularly baffled by strikeout pitches that were breaking late. Is that a valid observation? If so, is that a batting coach issue? Is that a young guys need to develop discipline thing?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back