• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

State of the program

Mort, people see what they want to see, no different then Pelini. Erstadt doing just enough to hand on, in fact, I'll argue with anyone that the resources NU pours into baseball are most of the reason he has success (with "success" being a relative term). Stick Erstad at Penn St, Iowa, or Illinois, you think he has this success? Not a chance.

A would say a "solid season" is one conference series win over a team with a winning record. Erstadt may blind some here, but if they don't take the series from Michigan, the committee won't see through the smoke and mirrors that is the NU baseball team.

So by that definition, 2-23 would be fine as long as the two wins were over the top team in the league. Good to know your expectations.

I would say a solid-good season would be winning 1-2 regional games. Good to great would be making it to a Super Regional. Awesome would be making the CWS. Are my expectations too high? The best coaches have their teams playing their best ball in May-June.

I would say a solid-good season would be winning 1-2 regional games. Good to great would be making it to a Super Regional. Awesome would be making the CWS. Are my expectations too high? The best coaches have their teams playing their best ball in May-June.

That's a fact, Jack!

Hopefully we will do just that.

Last edited:

Nebraska baseball has won 32 NCAA tourney games since 1933 when the NCAA tournament has started. That alone is depressing.

If you leave out the aberration of Dave Van Horn and Alex Gordon, a once in a century player for Nebraska, that takes 22 wins away, leaving Nebraska baseball with 10 post season wins in 85 years.

Winning 1-2 games a year in regionals is an absolute pipe dream for this program.

Nebraska baseball has won 32 NCAA tourney games since 1933 when the NCAA tournament has started. That alone is depressing.

If you leave out the aberration of Dave Van Horn and Alex Gordon, a once in a century player for Nebraska, that takes 22 wins away, leaving Nebraska baseball with 10 post season wins in 85 years.

Winning 1-2 games a year in regionals is an absolute pipe dream for this program.

As Sad as it is it still beat the Men's Basketball team my infinity.

I get wanting regional results and getting to a super, it’s what VanHorn brought us so we have that in our minds, but the fact is, in the B1G it just doesn’t happen. Currently, there are only 2 coaches currently coaching in the B1G who have made it to a super regional, and if Minnesota didn’t do it last year it would only be one. The reason for that is because normally as soon as it happens, those coaches take off to a conference that puts you on an even playing field nationally like the past two Indiana coaches. Coincidentally, we just took a series from one of them at Arizona State.

The B1G makes it really hard to be consistently good, you’ll have a year every few that just looks awful due to not being able to protect yourself with scholarships. Making a regional is a good season. Winning 1-2 is great. If you get to a super regional, lock the coach up before a southern school outbids you for them.

Looking at the conference standings, Michigan has played one less conference game and therefore would have a better winning percentage even if we go up 2-0 in the series today. Does anyone know the tie breaker rules, doesn't look like we have played Indiana, wonder what happens if we tie them?

Looking at the conference standings, Michigan has played one less conference game and therefore would have a better winning percentage even if we go up 2-0 in the series today. Does anyone know the tie breaker rules, doesn't look like we have played Indiana, wonder what happens if we tie them?
Best winning percentage against common B1G opponents since we haven’t played them.

Last edited:

Stats are fun. You could also say we've made Regionals 12 times and won 28 NCAA tourney games in the last 20 years.

How does football look without the aberrations of Tom Osborne and Johnny Rodgers? Nebraska produces enough baseball talent to be competitive if not occasionally really good.

Winning a Regional game every year might be a pipe dream but every other year or so should be doable. We could have done it 2 or 3 out of the last 5 years by beating Yale or Holy Cross and Ok St or Western Carolina without any once in a century type players. My expectations are that we could win a Regional game or 2 every couple years and occasionally pull an upset or 2 to get to a Super maybe every 5-7 years. That basically means we're among the top 40 every couple years and top 16 every 5-7 years.

Far as I can tell common opponents are MN, PUR, PSU, IA, ILL, MSU, MICH.

We are 15-4, Indiana is 13-6 so we hold the edge. They play Rutgers a team we did not play.

We hold the series edge over Illinois

We win two, Indiana goes 1-1, and we are conference champs!

Last edited:

Stats are fun. You could also say we've made Regionals 12 times and won 28 NCAA tourney games in the last 20 years.

How does football look without the aberrations of Tom Osborne and Johnny Rodgers? Nebraska produces enough baseball talent to be competitive if not occasionally really good.

Winning a Regional game every year might be a pipe dream but every other year or so should be doable. We could have done it 2 or 3 out of the last 5 years by beating Yale or Holy Cross and Ok St or Western Carolina without any once in a century type players. My expectations are that we could win a Regional game or 2 every couple years and occasionally pull an upset or 2 to get to a Super maybe every 5-7 years. That basically means we're among the top 40 every couple years and top 16 every 5-7 years.

It's also fun to dream. :thumbsup:

EDIT: I'll add, out of the 28 NCAA tourney wins you cite, 21 came from DVH and Alex's 2005 season. My point remains.

Last edited:
Best winning percentage against common B1G opponents since we haven’t played them.
Last night on BTN, they also mentioned RPI has a possible factor, but then the sound was gone for quite a while on the network, so I wasn't sure what it referenced. I thought they said something about Nebraska's RPI would be better than Indiana's. I wasn't sure if that factored in at all.

Far as I can tell common opponents are MN, PUR, PSU, IA, ILL, MSU, MICH.

We are 15-4, Indiana is 13-6 so we hold the edge. They play Rutgers a team we did not play.

We hold the series edge over Illinois

We win two, Indiana goes 1-1, and we are conference champs!
Illinois and Minny also each need to drop a game, since they have tie breaker against us (head to head). That's a big ask, but...

It's good to be in the running for a B1G championship on the last day of the season.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back