• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

State of the program

HuskerDB

Junior Varsity
10 Year Member
I have an illogical, passionate obsession for all things Husker, but especially the baseball program.

After attending the BIG tourney in Omaha in 2015 I've been super excited to return. Alas last year we didn't qualify, and I entered a state of husker baseball depression. Looking ahead to this season, I didn't have a lot of hope due to how bad our offense was last year and losing our best players. However, when this season started the newcomers came in, took over, and did well. Now however, the opponents seem to have a book published on our batters and we're in danger of having a sub 200 batting avg for April.

Looking forward it is hard for me to imagine this team getting 3 earned runs in a game. However, our weekend starters are so good we should still be in most games if they can handle all the pressure of not giving up runs.

Long story short, my early season optimism is quickly fading and I'm now expecting an early bounce out of the BIG tourney and no regional bid. Not to mention all our weekend starters graduate next year, and Curry may never be healthy and Perry couldn't buy a strike if he was Warren Buffet.

What say you? Am I a Debbie downer? Is there any reason to expect things to pick up?

I have an illogical, passionate obsession for all things Husker, but especially the baseball program.

After attending the BIG tourney in Omaha in 2015 I've been super excited to return. Alas last year we didn't qualify, and I entered a state of husker baseball depression. Looking ahead to this season, I didn't have a lot of hope due to how bad our offense was last year and losing our best players. However, when this season started the newcomers came in, took over, and did well. Now however, the opponents seem to have a book published on our batters and we're in danger of having a sub 200 batting avg for April.

Looking forward it is hard for me to imagine this team getting 3 earned runs in a game. However, our weekend starters are so good we should still be in most games if they can handle all the pressure of not giving up runs.

Long story short, my early season optimism is quickly fading and I'm now expecting an early bounce out of the BIG tourney and no regional bid. Not to mention all our weekend starters graduate next year, and Curry may never be healthy and Perry couldn't buy a strike if he was Warren Buffet.

What say you? Am I a Debbie downer? Is there any reason to expect things to pick up?
I wish I didn’t agree with your post but I do.

They need to start winning weekend series against meaningful opponents. Regardless of their RPI I don't see them as an at-large team right now. Plus the RPI is a poor indicator of, well, anything.

I say this knowing full well Creighton's rpi is 16. They aren't anywhere close to a top 50 team. And Illinois is at 23? Give me a break.

Plenty of opportunity for Nebraska to turn it on down the stretch, especially against a known quantity in arizona state.

Personally, I was never big on the Erstad hire, to be honest, I think he sucks. And regardless of what some would argue about his one Conference Championship, the fact is he has one postseason win in regionals, and that's over Binghamton. In fact he has more losses in regionals to non-scholarship teams than he does total wins.

With all that said, plenty of opportunity down the stretch, and most of those games are at home, so like everything else in sports it will play out...

Personally, I was never big on the Erstad hire, to be honest, I think he sucks. And regardless of what some would argue about his one Conference Championship, the fact is he has one postseason win in regionals, and that's over Binghamton. In fact he has more losses in regionals to non-scholarship teams than he does total wins..

You think maybe they should go after Servais there at CU?

No. He hasn't been to the NCAA's in 7 years and he missed the Big East tourney last year. Does he do more with less? Yes.

NU paid Anderson around 450k his last year. That is probably around 500k now. Certainly, CERTAINLY, they can get a baseball coach here. Not a former punter. Not a former MLB player with a shiny world series ring. Not a former Husker. Not a "booster of substance". Not a volunteer assistant. But a baseball coach.

Certainly there is a baseball coach somewhere in the United States that can will take half a million a year to field a team that can win a game over more then Binghamton in 7 years (and not be Creightons or Iowas bitch in the meantime)

We are 2nd in the league in runs scored, leading the league in hits, 2nd in the league in RBIs, 3rd in total bases, leading the league in walks, leading the league in stolen bases, but most importantly we are 2nd in the league standings with 3 league series' to go. Let's take a look and see if we win this weekend series or not. Despite all the points you bring up, we are still sitting 2nd in the league. We lose the Illinois series i'll start to be disappointed, but tough to be mad at us right in the thick of the conference title hunt.

What bothers me about Husker baseball fans is us sitting second in the league and one game back is not greeted with optimism and encouragement, but pessimism and negativity.

Last edited:

We are 2nd in the league in runs scored, leading the league in hits, 2nd in the league in RBIs, 3rd in total bases, leading the league in walks, leading the league in stolen bases, but most importantly we are 2nd in the league standings with 3 league series' to go. Let's take a look and see if we win this weekend series or not. Despite all the points you bring up, we are still sitting 2nd in the league. We lose the Illinois series i'll start to be disappointed, but tough to be mad at us right in the thick of the conference title hunt.

What bothers me about Husker baseball fans is us sitting second in the league and one game back is not greeted with optimism and encouragement, but pessimism and negativity.
I agree with everything you are saying up to the point of then reviewing who we have beaten in the Big 10. We have feasted on the bottom dwellers and lost our series to Iowa and Minnesota. We probably aren't as good as I thought a couple weeks ago or as bad as I think now. Lets win this weekend!

the guy laughs at the guy who takes players with less talent then the Huskers and bitch slaps Erstad 5 outta 6 years in mid-week games.

I get it ***, you, like many media members with ties to the football team, would rather be poked in the eye with a sharp stick then criticize Erstad. Erstad, for some (Bruntz, Schaefer, Benning, Callahan,etc) have a hands off policy with Erstad. You can't criticize him without being blackballed by the 90's huskers, and to an extent, the current regime also.

So us, as fans, are stuck with him until he "fires himself". And as I stated before, its not the fact you hired Erstad, its the fact that if he doesn't work out, how do you get rid of him?

Ummm, should we bother to note that 6 of the wins came against teams who are 2-23 in the league? Or do we beat our chest of Erstads coaching acumen?

blah blah blah. Stats rang up against 2 horrible teams

I agree with everything you are saying up to the point of then reviewing who we have beaten in the Big 10. We have feasted on the bottom dwellers and lost our series to Iowa and Minnesota. We probably aren't as good as I thought a couple weeks ago or as bad as I think now. Lets win this weekend!
Agree there. But I guess I would point people to winning a series against Baylor, beating Texas Tech, etc. We lost in the 9th against Iowa and lost in the 10th against Minnesota. Not trying to play the "what if" game, but let's not act like we aren't close to only having two losses in conference, winning every series so far, and being in sole possession of first. We have RPI #23 Illinois at home this weekend. I'll see what happens Friday thru Sunday. But again, just so shocked that 2nd in conference is getting greeted with all of the things we aren't good at.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back