• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

State Basketball Tournament - Charlie Easley ('N')

I never seen Easley play and do not know him whatsoever ... I suspect you're right that he's very good and collegiate material but I think people see a super athletic high schooler and think it will be that way in college. At Iowa or Lincoln or Brookings SD every kid there is super athletic. Things that appear easy in high school go away because he's playing against just as athletic and just as skilled players ... and now he's 6'1" going up against 6'5" and 6'6" kids.

Not diminishing him at all ... never seen him play its just that its easy to look good when you're the most athletic guy every game on the court. Colleges are not missing on him by accident.
I agree with your statement as you never know how a 6'1 highschool stars game carries over to the next level against bigger stronger athletes. I'm certainly not claiming that Charlie should be offered a scholarship at NU. With that being said, I hope someone gives the kid a shot. His basketball IQ is off the charts and he knows how to win. Anyone that has seen Charlie play at the AAU level knows he can hang with the big boys. My main point of this post was to say hey, if you have a chance, watch this kid play. He's one of the best all around highschool players that I've seen in quite a while.

I hope this kid does not get an offer. NU needs a couple of 275 pound, 6’ 11” All American centers. We have enough little players.

There is no doubt Nebraska needs a bigger, stronger and more athletic presence inside. Cannot and will not disagree with you on that point. On Easley, however, the kid can play and - in my opinion - offers more than a guy like Thor who is on your bench now.

Fun game - Easley misses a shot as time runs out, goes to OT. Easley then misses a shot to go to 2OT. Good defense both times.

What number does he wear, just started watching. EDIT: 34, figured it out. Is Dotzler related to a player at Creighton?

http://netnebraska.org/interactive-...state-basketball-championships-boys-class-b-1

I just got back on here. I was busy in the kitchen when I heard them say something about Dotzler on the radio. I didn't catch it because I'm noisy in the kitchen. I did hear them say we (in Bugaha) pronounce his name different than the rest of the state.

I haven't watched a boys high school game in years but, it was a darn good game. :Mfclap: I enjoyed it immensely. Thank you Pius X & Roncalli. :Rockon:

Congratulations to Pius X. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

I watched Cody Levinson out of Grand Island destroy future D-1A prospects in the late 90's. The guy was about 6'1" and took over AAU games single-handedly. Matt Davidson, Mike Preston, Mike Hahn, and several other guys on his AAU team went D-1A except him. Interesting how he was the guy they all leaned on in a pinch and he did not. The guy was lights out shooting from everywhere on the court, and shot equally well without pressure as with someone wrenching on him. That will always be the headscratcher on how such talent never gets a shot at the next level.

I watched Cody Levinson out of Grand Island destroy future D-1A prospects in the late 90's. The guy was about 6'1" and took over AAU games single-handedly. Matt Davidson, Mike Preston, Mike Hahn, and several other guys on his AAU team went D-1A except him. Interesting how he was the guy they all leaned on in a pinch and he did not. The guy was lights out shooting from everywhere on the court, and shot equally well without pressure as with someone wrenching on him. That will always be the headscratcher on how such talent never gets a shot at the next level.

I am not familiar with Levinson, but it is interesting how many guys like this simply get overlooked. Personally I think Easley is an athlete who could fashion a nice role at Nebraska, but I would also be surprised if he gets a scholarship offer.

Nebraska MBB will likely struggle next year under any new coach as it looks to rebuild its roster, so again IMO taking a flyer on a guy like this - homegrown and athletic, who can shoot and hustles consistently on defense - is not a major risk.

Nice stat line for Charlie in Championship game. Day 3 is always tough as the legs are fatigued. His shot was a little off but he battled thru it. 25 pts, 12 rebounds, 6 assists, 3 blocks, 3 steals. Fun game to watch. Cool moment after the game when Easley gave his gold medal to a student manager that has muscular dystrophy. Seriously brought tears to my eyes. Congrats to the Bolts. Shout out to Roncalli. What a Scrappy undersized team. Made for an entertaining Saturday afternoon.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back