• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Starting to feel guilty

Colfax

Recruit
10 Year Member
So I have finally retired but wife continues to work. Starting to feel guilty. Decided least I could do is prepare the evening meal. Absolute rookie here cooking. Was wondering if some of you might provide simple to make, tasty recipes for two that would not tax my skill set much. Would add wife eats nothing with cheese ingredient or that is milky or creamy. One of those persons into vegtables, chicken, fish sometimes pork and occasional beef.. Would like to find some recipes that are one shot sort of things i.e. pot pies, casseroles, etc.

Thanks in advance.

If you are low skill in the kitchen I would suggest looking at a service like Blue Apron. They deliver everything you need for a meal and give you detail instructions on preparing it. You can customize the menu to take into account your wifes preferences.

You can gain some good knowledge on prepping meals. Also knife skills geared for prepping food is a life saver. Not only will you get better results when cooking it will make it a lot easier.

https://www.blueapron.com/

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=knife+skills+tutorial

There are a lot of great sites with easy recipes (like the two in the post above). I would add http://www.chowhound.com/recipes/easy

images

Can't miss with grilled cheese. Mac N' Cheese and hot dogs is a staple in my house as well (there's no easier way to please the chilluns')

Chicken Parm is typically pretty easy to do. Just pound the chicken thin and you almost can't undercook it. With it coated in lots of good stuff and essentially fried, even if you overcook it a bit it will still be good.

A simple baked chicken recipe that you throw everything into a casserole dish and then into the oven is pretty easy.

Find some good crock pot recipes. Take a pork butt and rub it with some salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, cayenne and whatever else you want. Let it sit for a day or two in shrink wrap in the fridge. Throw it into a crock pot on low, after 4 hours or so throw in a few dashes of liquid smoke, not on the pork itself, and let it finish cooking for a few hours. Super simple pulled pork sandwiches.

It's Fall now, make some really easy soups. Make a tomato soup and pick up some good bread (I like ciabatta) and good cheese (guyere) for the grilled cheese.

When I was first married, I was helping with wheat harvest at the in-laws' and had down time waiting for the dew to dry off the wheat. There wasn't much to read in the house, but my mother-in-law subscribed to what seemed like every women's magazine out there. There are tons of easy recipes in there, so maybe hit the library and start perusing.

We also subscribed to Taste of Home for a long time. Lots of variety, but all easy.

So I have finally retired but wife continues to work. Starting to feel guilty. Decided least I could do is prepare the evening meal. Absolute rookie here cooking. Was wondering if some of you might provide simple to make, tasty recipes for two that would not tax my skill set much. Would add wife eats nothing with cheese ingredient or that is milky or creamy. One of those persons into vegtables, chicken, fish sometimes pork and occasional beef.. Would like to find some recipes that are one shot sort of things i.e. pot pies, casseroles, etc.

Thanks in advance.

My first question to you would be a simple one. What do you want to make for her? Start there.

Choose a recipe you can follow, a simple one. Then, another simple recipe. Take it one meal at a time. Ask questions, accept feedback as just feedback, not necessarily criticism. Learn from them. Ask questions.....

Last edited:

Thanks in advance.

A real easy way to cook some fish and look like a pro, in fact it is so easy, you can let her watch and impress her...
  • Spend a little money and get some good Sea Bass.
  • Heat the oven up to 325F
  • Just before you start cooking give her a serving of a soup she likes
  • Use a frying pan you can put into an oven, put a little non-stick in it or butter
  • First cook the fish skin side down in a pan over medium heat for about 8 minutes.
  • After cooking on the stove, toss a coating of whatever sauce you like on it - I like citrus glaze or teriyaki sauces
  • Put the pan into the 325 oven for 15 minutes.
  • You can give it another coat of sauce while in the oven about half way through if you like.
  • Pull it out and let it rest/cool for ~ 8 minutes
  • Serve with rice, orzo pilaf, potato or even a pasta.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back