• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

Start Over @ Punter

coherbie

Booster of Substance
20 Year Member
Smart play coach Els - kudos... seems lethal at any time.

FWIW - Els duties also include coaching the Sparty LBs

gotta say though, if the ball is truly punted to the right, as called, it's likely a moot point. In our punter's defense, perhaps in Australia right is left & vice versa - doesn't the water go down the drain the opposite way there? :Biggrin:

The Big Red Lebowski

A:Always, B: Be, C: Cornhusking
10 Year Member

gotta say though, if the ball is truly punted to the right, as called, it's likely a moot point. In our punter's defense, perhaps in Australia right is left & vice versa - doesn't the water go down the drain the opposite way there? :Biggrin:

Maybe, but I presume if the ball is kicked right, then the MSU punt coverage team all swarms to the left side of the field and Reed waves for the fair catch. I don't think the play hinges on our punter pull-hooking it.

CO4NU

Varsity
5 Year Member
Wish we were good enough to not care which side of the field we kicked to.

Maybe just kick it.....straight?

Last edited:

The Big Red Lebowski

10 Year Member

FWIW:

"The play could have been run the opposite way, with Reed as decoy and Nailor as return man, had the punt gone the other direction. But Reed said Michigan State had studied the punter, Daniel Cerni, and determined that he was most likely to punt it to his left, so it set up Reed on that side of the field with its coverage designed to assist that side of the field best."

https://www.mlive.com/spartans/2021...-reeds-punt-return-touchdown-vs-nebraska.html

Sounds like it was more about an opposing staff doing a tremendous job of scouting/prep/coaching than it was the colossal choke job by the punter that our head coach is making it out be.

Brew City Husker

Travel Squad
15 Year Member
Kelen Meyer (freshman walk-on kicker from Ord, NE) punted in high school. If I were him I would be warming up my punting leg every day in practice and letting the coaches know that I could punt. There might be an opportunity there to get on the field.

NU_Alum

Heisman
5 Year Member
Walk over to the rugby team and grab their fullback. I can guaranty that guy can kick the ball 40+ every time and in the direction you want it. Plus, for good measure, he'll make the tackle 40 yards downfield as well.

I'm not kidding about going to the rugby team. There are easily 2 kids (I haven't seen them in a few years so I'll stop at 2) that can punt the ball better than we've seen.

jmatlock

calling all pals....pals
10 Year Member
Has everyone forgot the time our punter kicked for either zero or negative yardage?
Pal was that the same time we were firing 9 win coaches when we were experiencing mediocrity? I hope we don’t get to that point again.

Last edited:

Husker Country Doc

Heisman
15 Year Member
I think anybody that can even kick a knuckle ball down the field might be better than what weve had.

Maybe it would hit a defender, and we'd get the ball back.

Isn't there a HS coach in Arkansas that determined possession of the ball is undervalued in FB, and, therefore, NEVER punts?

Brew City Husker

Travel Squad
15 Year Member
I think anybody that can even kick a knuckle ball down the field might be better than what weve had.

Maybe it would hit a defender, and we'd get the ball back.

Isn't there a HS coach in Arkansas that determined possession of the ball is undervalued in FB, and, therefore, NEVER punts?
Yes, and always on-side kicks and always goes for 2 point conversions.

KleinTxHusker

All Legend
15 Year Member
FWIW, the punt was obviously supposed to be to the right (right hash, pin them down, away from Reed), but that doesn't explain why the entire punt team was drawn to the right side despite MSU having 2 KRs on the field. We have Lincoln native and former Husker LB/ST coach Ross Els to thank for that:

https://www.mlive.com/spartans/2021...-reeds-punt-return-touchdown-vs-nebraska.html

Fear not though fellow Husker fans. Frost explicitly told the media that the punter cost us the game. Els' trickery had no bearing. The coaches were ready for it and Cerni just messed up. What more can Frost do to put these guys in position to succeed when Els and other coaches deploy such tactics? It's like Iowa clapping. It's not fair.

I'm sure that knowing the head coach believes he cost us the game will make him punt better next time. No fear of failure!!
Umm… and Mr Els is coaching linebackers as well as special teams. He also held dual roles here at DONU. I think he coached LB and did special teams and it seems like he did recruiting coordination.

Last edited:

The Big Red Lebowski

10 Year Member
Umm… and Mr Els is coaching linebackers as well as special teams. He also held dual roles here at DONU. I think he coached LB and did special teams and it seems like he did recruiting coordinator

Thanks. I didn't look up his exact role at MSU. I figured he must coach there in come capacity to be drawing up special teams plays. :Biggrin:

coherbie

Booster of Substance
20 Year Member
FWIW:

"The play could have been run the opposite way, with Reed as decoy and Nailor as return man, had the punt gone the other direction. But Reed said Michigan State had studied the punter, Daniel Cerni, and determined that he was most likely to punt it to his left, so it set up Reed on that side of the field with its coverage designed to assist that side of the field best."

Sounds like it was more about an opposing staff doing a tremendous job of scouting/prep/coaching than it was the colossal choke job by the punter that our head coach is making it out be.
Thanks, I understood the versatility of the deception the first time... & just to clarify when I said "right" - i meant the same side to which our coverage team had been instructed our directional punter was to aim for - kind of the perfect storm of play calls.

---
Thinking more about this devious Els deceptive fair catch play this afternoon ... not whining, but in the future, should such a disingenuous fair catch signal be viable? seems to undermine the whole intent - just saying.