• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Stars vs Development

Status
Not open for further replies.

akweasel

Awesomeness In Every Post
20 Year Member
Good article in regards to recruiting, stars and development.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/stewart_mandel/11/17/recruiting-rankings/index.html

Personally.......its more about your system, finding players that fit that system and furthermore will develop into a perfect (or near perfect) player for that system. Of course, you need a few wildcards that are known as game breakers.

But.....imho, to much is made of having a roster full of them. Teamwork, assignment duties on and off the field imho are at times much more valuable.

I personally enjoy the balance that BO recruits to this point. Solid stars, but more important to him are the tangibleness / future of the prospect imo.

The article does a descent job of showing stars and measurables are important. But so are work ethics, desire and development.

Thoughts?

No argument from me....I agree and yeah you have to recruit 2 or 3 game breakers per class....

Bo is big on getting young men from winning programs who have had to compete everyday for their spot and who are not afraid to work hard to win playing time....not prima-donna's who expect to start before they have earned anything....guys who are teams guys first....and most of all athletes with speed who can be moved around if needed....finally kids with good grades who understand the importance of being student first and a football player second....3 or 4 kids from every recruiting class will be lucky enough to play in the NFL so getting an education is paramount and it will translate onto the field or what ever they do in life....as my dad told me when I went off to college education and your degree are top of what you want to accomplish because they can't take that away from you....a carrer in sports can be lost in the matter of seconds with an injury etc...especially as a football player...

But yeah good stuff akweasel....:)

No argument from me....I agree and yeah you have to recruit 2 or 3 game breakers per class....

Bo is big on getting young men from winning programs who have had to compete everyday for their spot and who are not afraid to work hard to win playing time....not prima-donna's who expect to start before they have earned anything....guys who are teams guys first....and most of all athletes with speed who can be moved around if needed....finally kids with good grades who understand the importance of being student first and a football player second....3 or 4 kids from every recruiting class will be lucky enough to play in the NFL so getting an education is paramount and it will translate onto the field or what ever they do in life....as my dad told me when I went off to college education and your degree are top of what you want to accomplish because they can't take that away from you....a carrer in sports can be lost in the matter of seconds with an injury etc...especially as a football player...

But yeah good stuff akweasel....:)

Could be part of UT's problems this year. I'm not up on recruiting like some of you, but something is clearly wrong with this year's group at UT. What you've said makes alot of sense.

Totally agree about the stars and development thing

Certainly 4 and 5 stars are starting out with better developed "tools", BUT.......most of them made it through high school on talent alone. When the guy across from you is just as fast, strong, etc as you, work ethic and desire become a much bigger portion of the overall picture.

It is exactly what is wrong and Coach Brown laid it out when he said many of these kids felt a sense of entitlement...they expected to start and not earn that spot....this will either make them stronger or Texas will suffer for a few more years...

Could be part of UT's problems this year. I'm not up on recruiting like some of you, but something is clearly wrong with this year's group at UT. What you've said makes alot of sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back