• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

***'s random thizoughts

Not really relevant to this OP but I'm so tired of hearing this, especially when many on this board were pumping gallons of sunshine about how well the previous regime was recruiting. Good coaches can beat you with his then turn around and beat you with yours (not an original statement) :)

The previous regime brought in a lot of decent players, but how many of them stayed?

Not really relevant to this OP but I'm so tired of hearing this, especially when many on this board were pumping gallons of sunshine about how well the previous regime was recruiting. Good coaches can beat you with his then turn around and beat you with yours (not an original statement) :)

That quote came from the era of single platoon football, probably does not apply as well to the era of coaches committed to brining in "their system" that is needed to be successful.

Here with Scott, that is not only his offensive scheme but the commitment to go back to being DONU which I think we all support as being key to our long term success:
1. Walk on program
2. Strength and conditioning
3. Best facilities or at least top 5%
4. Re-establish connection to our heritage/former players
5. Lock down recruiting within 500 miles plus strengthen recruiting of 4/5 star skill players

This is/was what made The Bob Father and Dr Tom successful and anyone who thought Scott was going to get accomplished in two seasons is not in close touch with the program and its competitors.

GBR

That quote came from the era of single platoon football, probably does not apply as well to the era of coaches committed to brining in "their system" that is needed to be successful.

Here with Scott, that is not only his offensive scheme but the commitment to go back to being DONU which I think we all support as being key to our long term success:
1. Walk on program
2. Strength and conditioning
3. Best facilities or at least top 5%
4. Re-establish connection to our heritage/former players
5. Lock down recruiting within 500 miles plus strengthen recruiting of 4/5 star skill players

This is/was what made The Bob Father and Dr Tom successful and anyone who thought Scott was going to get accomplished in two seasons is not in close touch with the program and its competitors.

GBR
Maybe this may all be correct but I have some trouble believing this level of athletes are so specialized that they either poorly suited for a different scheme, that really isn't that different from any other, or that they are completely worthless. There is an argument to be made but I think the athletes at that time were relatively just as "elite" as the athletes now.

Correct, why Frost isn't going to right the ship overnight. The program needs a lot of work to get better. It certainly isn't going to happen in 2 seasons, probably won't happen in 3 or 4.

If NU is not better at year 4 then that will be a failure by SF and not the fault of any previous regimes.

C

Maybe this may all be correct but I have some trouble believing this level of athletes are so specialized that they either poorly suited for a different scheme, that really isn't that different from any other, or that they are completely worthless.

First, as far as skill players JD Spielman has shown he can play in any system. But we currently don't have enough JD's on the roster, just Wan'dale this year, we need more, two recruiting classes more IMHO.

On the other hand, our o-line has shown that they need the S&C program that was so much a part of the Devaney/Osborne era to make them bigger and stronger to compete with Iowa, Wisconsin, OSU and others in the Big Ten. We had that development plan in place in the past, o-lineman didnt usually play until there redshirt junior year fully invested in the system and fully beefed up.

This is the system Scott and staff are installing and will take time. Look at the walk on's how have committed this month, in three or four years they may be your starting o-lineman :).

There is an argument to be made but I think the athletes at that time were relatively just as "elite" as the athletes now.
I completely agree. Dr. Tom is quoted as saying that Dennis Claridge the QB from the 1963 team may have been the most athletic QB he ever saw on campus! More than Tommy Frazier or Turner Gill, that's saying something for the One platoon athlete.

Last edited:
@*** can you tell me, does anyone on our staff teach to tackle around the legs anymore? I thought that problem would go away after Pelini and then Riley, yet here we are again. Looks like guys are being taught to strip the ball first and tackle second. I absolutely hate that philosophy.

The question is a little moot in my opinion because the same guys aren't starting this year that started last year. The OL is not as good this year for the simple fact that we don't have the same starters as we did last year, now do we? Also, we lost StanleyMorgan and Ozigbo, both of whom were the two best players on our offense last year. This isn't an "apples to apples" comparison, is it? Each year in college football is a different story with kids graduating. This is a very young team with young depth too.

To me it doesn’t matter. We are in year two and yep we have two new starters. Big deal. Whole line sucks. And tonight is no different

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back