• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

*** Fall Practice Primer

I love it when we have this kind of "problem". Two QBs who can get the job done.

Two unknowns definitely more fun than sitting through a year of interceptions waiting for our guy..... Who also was really good at throwing interceptions.... ;D

Milton doesn't have elite athleticism and we saw what he could do in a Frost offense.

IMO comparing the athleticism of Milton to anything we have seen from Gebbia so far is straight-madness. Milton has a burst, and a gamer sort of aggressiveness that we probably can not witness with those green jerseys on, but IMO it would surprise me to see it in TG. even though we have not seen much of Gebbia, i've seen enough to not put his athleticism on MM's level

IMO comparing the athleticism of Milton to anything we have seen from Gebbia so far is straight-madness. Milton has a burst, and a gamer sort of aggressiveness that we probably can not witness with those green jerseys on, but IMO it would surprise me to see it in TG. even though we have not seen much of Gebbia, i've seen enough to not put his athleticism on MM's level

The point I was making is that Milton isn't great in that offense because he has elite athleticism, he's great in that offense because he makes quick and sometimes creative decisions. There's no reason Gebbia can't be a version of that (not saying he will be, but I think it's possible).

you've seen Gebbia play, and you've seen Martinez play - which one was more athletic? ok so now draw a line somewhere between those athletes, and we'll call the higher side elite athleticism. Acting like QB athleticism is not a big* deal in this system is a tremendous denial of reality IMO
Where did I say that athleticism was not a big deal? Please advise.

I pointed out that decision making was the quality HCSF valued above all else. Did I hear him wrong?

Both these guys are great athletes. As far as "elite" goes, it's right up there with the "it" factor. Whatever the hell that is.

And lastly, I am not basing my evaluation of "it" or "elite" from a scrimmage put on for the enjoyment of 90,00 people.

Let the games begin.

Where did I say that athleticism was not a big deal? Please advise.

I pointed out that decision making was the quality HCSF valued above all else. Did I hear him wrong?

Both these guys are great athletes. As far as "elite" goes, it's right up there with the "it" factor. Whatever the hell that is.

And lastly, I am not basing my evaluation of "it" or "elite" from a scrimmage put on for the enjoyment of 90,00 people.

Let the games begin.

don't break a string - where did i say that you said* that athleticism was not a big deal? if you don't have that opinion then don't raise a fuss about me saying its wrong.

i guess if we all just close our eyes and ignore anything we've seen from them, then you're right. both of these QB's are equally good athletes

I have not heard a peep about Reed or Dismuke from coaches or media. Are they getting lost in the schuffle?

Knowing where to be is so important. Reed struggled with that before we were going against an offense that stresses it every day in practice. Physically he probably should be in the two deep, we will see if it clicks for him.

Here's some news about Reed...

The point I was making is that Milton isn't great in that offense because he has elite athleticism, he's great in that offense because he makes quick and sometimes creative decisions. There's no reason Gebbia can't be a version of that (not saying he will be, but I think it's possible).

yep, in the UCF games I watched, I was floored with the "quick and creative decision" part of his game - he is really special in that area. I think that his athleticism (burst and aggressiveness) really was a big factor in making that offense work. I guess all i want to say is that i have not seen those things from TG, and i don't think he has the profile to be great at it, I - personally - would be much happier to see Martinez take this job

yep, in the UCF games I watched, I was floored with the "quick and creative decision" part of his game - he is really special in that area. I think that his athleticism (burst and aggressiveness) really was a big factor in making that offense work. I guess all i want to say is that i have not seen those things from TG, and i don't think he has the profile to be great at it, I - personally - would be much happier to see Martinez take this job

I think we all agree the upside with Martinez in this offense is much higher than Gebbia. But I still wouldn't count Gebbia out. If he can make those quick decisions, he can win the job.

Thanks ***.
Your opinion on the OL somewhat caught me off guard as it seemed to be an early position of concern. DL seems to have talent and if OL is pushing them around that can only be a good sign. Hope we can get some backups ready at OT though. Also a bit surprised about the secondary as many have stated it looked to be a position of strength.

No ones seen either TG or AM playing college football except in a hyped up scrimmage. So to say one QB is better then the other before the real bullets are flying seems a bit premature? If TG starts and wins the first 3 games why would he not be the starter until/unless he becomes ineffective? Don't fix what's not broken IMO. AM knew coming to Lincoln he was going to face excellent competition in the form of TG. Makes me like him more that he accepted the challenge. TG could have very easy bailed but he also accepted the challenge of a new system and HC.

Bottom line I'll take the QB with the quickest uptake and makes the fewest mistakes. TA had a lot of athletic ability but made some extremely poor decisions under fire. Yea he won some games with his athletic ability and lost some games with his poor decisions. TL was a INT machine that cost us games without a doubt. Again poor decisions, bad throws which resulted in losses to teams we should have beaten. I get the feeling that some down play TG's athletic abilities but that's really TBD in some real football games.

We have not seen either QB in live action in a real game under this coach. I do not understand the people ruling out TG even before he takes a snap. I think he has something special in his work ethic and intangible factors. TM is anointed before he even take a hit. I have seen too many super stars fail before they take a snap. I trust we will struggle year one and it will be an awesome effort to see a team playing together. Image a line that takes pressure off the QB. Now picture a running back challenging and getting linebacker thinking and then add motion is attacking open spaces and I am excited about the offense and really not worried about the quarterback.

thanks for a comprehensive peek at what you viewed at practice. the best so far by a long shot. where it all winds up on the great football curve of history is still to be determined but I bet this overvue will turnout a lot more right than wrong. I better start sipping that red koolaid instead of gulping it down out of a pitcher

You have to remember, you saw the "finished product", a QB with a full two years in Scott's system.

Comparing that to QB's with a whole spring practice and beginning fall camp of experience is really unfair.

Until you have the confidence to make those decisions on the fly you will be "slow", unable to fully express your athleticism as a QB.

Gebbia, Martinez and Bunch, don't forget about Bunch will look faster by November :).

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back