• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Spring Game, My overall thoughts

Another thing I liked, that probably flew under the radar, was how many of our guys are multi-sport athletes. I knew about Hutmacher doing wrestling, but Rhule also talked about a couple of guys who are running track, as well. I think it is good that guys are staying in shape doing workouts other than just football. My hope would be that we will see that translate into less injuries. When Kenny Bell asked Rhule about it, he seemed to have a very positive outlook on letting guys play more than just football in college, if they are able to.

An upside for me was DR being able to throw into windows.

QBs all need to practice the shorter screen throws so the RB/WR is hit in stride and let them get uphill. Some of those looked awkward and would get someone crunched in B1G play.

Pass pro was fairly solid. If Greg Austin had half the coaching talent and scheme of Coach Raiola, 2AM wouldn't have been running for his life all the time. Wider pocket and getting 3+ seconds make a huge difference. Can't wait to see some of these young cats like Brix develop so we can get some nasty going in the run game.

Sucks that Blye Hill and D. Bell got hurt. B1G corners don't grow on trees but at least we have developing depth at WR.
Part of that was SnC too, both nice upgrades

He may well be but I did not see enough to make that judgement.
Rhule has said that Emmett is the complete back, that he takes pass protection very seriously. Rahmir Johnson and Gabe Ervin also, but they are still being held out of contact. Dowdell did look good on a couple of runs, and I'm happy he did, but he won't see game play until he has the pass protection down. No way the coaches will risk a blindside hit on any of the qb's because of the RB's inability to at least chip a rushing safety or edge rusher.

An upside for me was DR being able to throw into windows.

QBs all need to practice the shorter screen throws so the RB/WR is hit in stride and let them get uphill. Some of those looked awkward and would get someone crunched in B1G play.

Pass pro was fairly solid. If Greg Austin had half the coaching talent and scheme of Coach Raiola, 2AM wouldn't have been running for his life all the time. Wider pocket and getting 3+ seconds make a huge difference. Can't wait to see some of these young cats like Brix develop so we can get some nasty going in the run game.

Sucks that Blye Hill and D. Bell got hurt. B1G corners don't grow on trees but at least we have developing depth at WR.
2AM really struggled on the swing and screen passes, he had a hard time finding the touch. I was impressed with the QB's on Saturday who have clearly been working hard on their touch in the short stuff. We need to be able to make teams pay when they sell out to the run and commit several guys up front. And a great screen game can do that.

Last edited:
Rhule has said that Emmett is the complete back, that he takes pass protection very seriously. Rahmir Johnson and Gabe Ervin also, but they are still being held out of contact. Dowdell did look good on a couple of runs, and I'm happy he did, but he won't see game play until he has the pass protection down. No way the coaches will risk a blindside hit on any of the qb's because of the RB's inability to at least chip a rushing safety or edge rusher.
Rhule also said there was not a leader in the qb room.

Rhule also said there was not a leader in the qb room.
Yep he's trying to keep the pressure off of DR. But he also said it would likely take 3 QB's to get through the season, especially (and hopefully) if we would get into the playoffs.

DR needs to believe that he doesn't have to win games by himself. Talk to Adrian Martinez about that...

Last edited:
There were 4-5 sacks that would have been recorded if allowed to hit QB.

Considering it was a spring game, there was much to be positive about. DR looked good, DK needs some more work and HH has made vast improvement in his game. OL and DL looked leaner and hopefully meaner! Young WR's looked very promising. Still much to work on, but exciting to see in the spring. Nice to start the season at home instead of on the road opening against a B1G team!! GBR

I saw some really positive things at the Spring Game, but I’m really reluctant to jump in too deep with any conclusions about strengths, weaknesses, or depth chart issues. It’s a practice scrimmage. Our own team. Somewhat scripted. A lot of guys that bang on each other day after day. Not everyone plays. Not everyone is full speed. Some experimentation. Some confidence building. It gives a brief window on some individual skills — some guys with burst, or wiggle, or pop. Or who can spin it a little. But it’s not anything any of us should get too up or down about. Some important game simulation reps… and entertainment. That said, it’s nice to watch a legitimate pass play unfold the way it’s drawn up.

I saw some really positive things at the Spring Game, but I’m really reluctant to jump in too deep with any conclusions about strengths, weaknesses, or depth chart issues. It’s a practice scrimmage. Our own team. Somewhat scripted. A lot of guys that bang on each other day after day. Not everyone plays. Not everyone is full speed. Some experimentation. Some confidence building. It gives a brief window on some individual skills — some guys with burst, or wiggle, or pop. Or who can spin it a little. But it’s not anything any of us should get too up or down about. Some important game simulation reps… and entertainment. That said, it’s nice to watch a legitimate pass play unfold the way it’s drawn up.
It hasn't been since TA that we've had over the top passes thrown in numbers.
Tre was good, but only one guy. It tells me we have a lot of speed at wr and good qb play.

With excellent TE play, we are going to stress the defenses. A full real team. World beaters? Likely not, but teams better bring their best
Well stated. I would add we now also seem to have at least 2 QBs that see the whole field. Last year the TE were hit with a lot of passes because the QBs got nervous. Hit 2-4 Long passes a game, and the short passing game as well as the running game opens up. Then we are dangerous.

I am the kid on the trike right now.

Well stated. I would add we now also seem to have at least 2 QBs that see the whole field. Last year the TE were hit with a lot of passes because the QBs got nervous. Hit 2-4 Long passes a game, and the short passing game as well as the running game opens up. Then we are dangerous.

I am the kid on the trike right now.

The trick the D days are over. We will still do that, and it will work, because they'll have their hands full and be expecting another play where we've been hurting them.
I just get the feeling what we do we do against anyone.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back