• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Spring Game: Huskers v Wichita State, 4/29/23 2pm CDT.

I remember reading about the incoming freshman class, it being the #1 ranked class in the country and people pumped for the season. Historically, rankings haven't always been a direct indicator of future or consistent success. Several years ago Pervert (penn) State had the #1 ranked class and that class won 1 national championship, 2 BigX titles and beat the Huskers ONCE - in 4 years. This new Husker class certainly has fans drooling and anxious for 4 years of winning. I contend we'll see how the team plays together, who gets injured, who decides to transfer via the portal, etc.

But here's the skinny on each of the freshman:
Bergen Reilly - Setter #1 setter in the nation and #4 ranking overall
Laney Choboy - Libero #1 libero in the nation and #5 ranking overall
Caroline Jurevicious - Opposite Hitter #1 Opp in the nation and #7 ranking overall
Andi Jackson - MB #3 middle in the nation and #13 ranking overall
Harper Murray - OH #2 OH in the nation and #2 ranking overall

It will certainly be interesting how Cook molds the team and hopefully finds a way to keep everyone satisfied with playing time. I won't be surprised if Hayden Kubik is the first team member to transfer after this year. These freshman will push hard for playing time and they'll make freshman mistakes, encounter slumps through the season and simply have some problems. But they didn't commit to the Huskers to be bench warmers. As much of a Jedi Master that Cook is with the mental aspect of the game I simply don't see him being able to keep every team member happy during the season.

I remember reading about the incoming freshman class, it being the #1 ranked class in the country and people pumped for the season. Historically, rankings haven't always been a direct indicator of future or consistent success. Several years ago Pervert (penn) State had the #1 ranked class and that class won 1 national championship, 2 BigX titles and beat the Huskers ONCE - in 4 years. This new Husker class certainly has fans drooling and anxious for 4 years of winning. I contend we'll see how the team plays together, who gets injured, who decides to transfer via the portal, etc.

But here's the skinny on each of the freshman:
Bergen Reilly - Setter #1 setter in the nation and #4 ranking overall
Laney Choboy - Libero #1 libero in the nation and #5 ranking overall
Caroline Jurevicious - Opposite Hitter #1 Opp in the nation and #7 ranking overall
Andi Jackson - MB #3 middle in the nation and #13 ranking overall
Harper Murray - OH #2 OH in the nation and #2 ranking overall

It will certainly be interesting how Cook molds the team and hopefully finds a way to keep everyone satisfied with playing time. I won't be surprised if Hayden Kubik is the first team member to transfer after this year. These freshman will push hard for playing time and they'll make freshman mistakes, encounter slumps through the season and simply have some problems. But they didn't commit to the Huskers to be bench warmers. As much of a Jedi Master that Cook is with the mental aspect of the game I simply don't see him being able to keep every team member happy during the season.
I agree. Also note that John Cook has no problem playing true freshmen over older players if the freshmen are playing consistently better. One just has to look back to 2021 when 2-time all-american Lexi Sun sat the bench for most of the second half of the season because a couple of freshmen were playing better.

I'm not saying this will definitely happen this year (it may or may not), but players like Krause, Beason, and Allick better keep up their level of play or they just might find themselves on the bench.

I agree. Also note that John Cook has no problem playing true freshmen over older players if the freshmen are playing consistently better. One just has to look back to 2021 when 2-time all-american Lexi Sun sat the bench for most of the second half of the season because a couple of freshmen were playing better.

I'm not saying this will definitely happen this year (it may or may not), but players like Krause, Beason, and Allick better keep up their level of play or they just might find themselves on the bench.
Yea, impossible to know how this all will shake out. This team is young but full of potential. Stanford, Wisconsin, Texas and Penn State are much more experienced, so B1G and Final Four will be huge challenges. Should be exciting.

And with 3 equally touted 2024 recruits, and no seniors in 2023, one or more of 3 things will happen between now and December: transfers, NIL packages, or decommits. Selfishly, I hope that NIL packages could fill the gaps. And a 13th scholarship would help too.

How is it that the CCHS Gym is bigger than the Uof MD volleyball facility?
I lived in the Washington DC area (U of MD is just outside of DC) for many years before I retired a couple years ago. Volleyball is not a big thing out there. Women out there are more into soccer and field hockey.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back