• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Spots left and target positions after CJ commit

Status
Not open for further replies.
per Sean Callahan on BRWU, here's what we are still looking to fill:

2 DL
1 CB>>>>>>Charles Jackson!!
1 LB
1 OL
1 WR or TE

We have 2 projected available scholarships left, assuming Heard qualifies.

Per Callahan here, we would be 'oversigning' by 3. Sounds about right. Always likely to see a few transfer/medical or NQ in the class.

What sources does he have that you don't, FLAS? Isn't he basically making a projection based on his best guess? Hell, he may even be using your data as his evidence. Afterall, coaches can't discuss recruiting in specifics at all, can they?

Those are honest questions... I've wondered where Rivals "reporters" get their info when the only reliable sources are essentially off limits.

Check out the Numbers thread for (now) accurate info based on roster updates. We have one remaining 'open' schollie for 2011.

cm, I'm not sure where he gets his numbers. Coaches can't discuss specific recruits. They could...doubtful they necessarily would...discuss general #'s and target positions, etc., as far as I'm aware. Particularly if it wasn't on record. Plus, SC does talk with the recruits and that's how he's piecing his info together. Something he would know far more about, is also based on the remaining offers out there by position and who is being recruited the hardest by the staff and what they are being told.

Example...let's say SC calls up Cyrus Hobbi and talks with him and he says "Coach Cotton said they want 1 more OL in this class." That's info he has that we don't, unless we pay for access to his site.

I don't think his numbers/positions are gospel, by any means, but he does have good info to base them on. Other people seem to be 'in the know' on these kinds of questions from time to time. I'm not. I just count down the numbers.

However, i can go look at the visitor list on scout and give you a good idea:

http://nebraska.scout.com/a.z?s=204...iRecruitVisitFlag=1&OrderbyColumn=RatingValue

From that list, I can deduce that we are looking for

1 TE
1 OL
1-2 DE
1 WR/S

then I'd check the offers list

http://nebraska.scout.com/a.z?s=204...RecruitVisitFlag=-1&OrderbyColumn=RatingValue

We have offers out for these positions:

WR
TE
OL
DT
DE
OLB
S

Reading headlines makes it obvious we are recruiting Peat (DT), Lyons (S) and DE's. We've offered JC DT, WR, and OLB...that tells me we definitely want one of each

So, I'd say our targets are:

WR/TE 1-2
OL 1
DL 2-3
LB 1
DB 1

There's some flexibility there, e.g. Onwuasor could play either WR or DB. We could probably live w/o a TE if the other spots fill up. Also, we might only take the "right" OL. e.g. we aren't going to take a guy just to take one.

I'd say 3 minimum to 6 on the high end.

Last edited:
Check out the Numbers thread for (now) accurate info based on roster updates. We have one remaining 'open' schollie for 2011.

cm, I'm not sure where he gets his numbers. Coaches can't discuss specific recruits. They could...doubtful they necessarily would...discuss general #'s and target positions, etc., as far as I'm aware. Particularly if it wasn't on record. Plus, SC does talk with the recruits and that's how he's piecing his info together. Something he would know far more about, is also based on the remaining offers out there by position and who is being recruited the hardest by the staff and what they are being told.

Example...let's say SC calls up Cyrus Hobbi and talks with him and he says "Coach Cotton said they want 1 more OL in this class." That's info he has that we don't, unless we pay for access to his site.

I don't think his numbers/positions are gospel, by any means, but he does have good info to base them on. Other people seem to be 'in the know' on these kinds of questions from time to time. I'm not. I just count down the numbers.

However, i can go look at the visitor list on scout and give you a good idea:

http://nebraska.scout.com/a.z?s=204...iRecruitVisitFlag=1&OrderbyColumn=RatingValue

From that list, I can deduce that we are looking for

1 TE
1 OL
1-2 DE
1 WR/S

then I'd check the offers list

http://nebraska.scout.com/a.z?s=204...RecruitVisitFlag=-1&OrderbyColumn=RatingValue

We have offers out for these positions:

WR
TE
OL
DT
DE
OLB
S

Reading headlines makes it obvious we are recruiting Peat (DT), Lyons (S) and DE's. We've offered JC DT, WR, and OLB...that tells me we definitely want one of each

So, I'd say our targets are:

WR/TE 1-2
OL 1
DL 2-3
LB 1
DB 1

There's some flexibility there, e.g. Onwuasor could play either WR or DB. We could probably live w/o a TE if the other spots fill up. Also, we might only take the "right" OL. e.g. we aren't going to take a guy just to take one.

I'd say 3 minimum to 6 on the high end.

Nice summary. Thanks.

Nobody in the history of football has ever been too fast to play linebacker or safety. Better suited for another position, perhaps, but if a guy otherwise has the skill set to play linebacker (size, tackling ability, toughness) there is no amount of speed that would make him unsuitable for the position. Same with safety.

I should finish my thoughts before i hit enter...he's too tall for a corner or safety to cover and too fast for a linebacker or most safeties to cover. I made that clear as mud :) I also don't think for a minute we would take someone with his obvious Quarterback skills and move him to a different position.

Last edited:

Hah. I'm just still new to this whole deal. So I know the names--but the numbers game? Maybe I'll learn that side during the offseason. ;)

I had no clue when I started keeping the scholarship numbers list and hadn't followed recruiting much, if at all, until 2002-2003. I knew you could take 25 guys in a class and have 85 total on scholarship. There was constant conjecture and speculation on how many guys we would take, how many scholarships we had to give, when guys had left the team, what class they were in, etc.. The "numbers" thread just became a vehicle to take information from various sources (Huskers.com roster, recruiting sites, other posters, etc.) and put it in one place so there was a reference that more or less accurately reflected the 'reality' of recruiting vs. all the nebulous speculation from a bunch of people who didn't really KNOW. I got sick of looking at the list of 18 seniors on scholarship and hearing "we're going to take 25 recruits" without an explanation of HOW we were going to come up with 7 scholarships that didn't exist. I wanted "real" information first, then go from there.

I'll just say this...be glad you are 'starting' to try and understand it now and not in, say, 2005. Pelini's recruiting is pretty straight-forward. You have X seniors, and thus X scholarships available for next year, you can be reasonably sure they will take (X-1 to X+5) players in a class to account for attrition and possible NQ's. I was forced to learn about 5 new things (or more) about recruiting every year under Callahan just to balance the numbers of 25/class and 85 on scholarship. Stuff I didn't know existed: Mid-term JUCO transfers that count against last year's "slots" so you can sign more than 25 in a year, greyshirts, academic greyshirts, greenshirts, a player quits in summer but you can't give his schollie to an incoming player, etc. etc.. It wasn't easy, but it was an educational labor of love to have as much accurate information as possible for discussion without paying for it. So far, I've found my numbers reflecting reality more often than not, and it's a reference to go back to later if you have roster questions. The little exercise above was just a glimpse into how you can fairly accurately ascertain our "needs" and "numbers" without actually knowing what they are or relying on conjecture.

I'll just say this...I love the straightforward way Bo apparently approaches recruiting, because it makes my job pretty easy. I don't keep track of offers, but early on they seem to offer a fairly compact number of targeted players they really want and have a reasonable chance to sign, and when one falls off that list, they may offer a couple more. It makes it easier to understand what positions we are trying to fill in a class. Callahan sometimes had close to 200 offers out during a season when it was all said and done. Offer everybody at the top of Lemming's lists and try to get 25 to commit. It was like a 10:3:1 sales funnel, put 225 prospects in the funnel, get 75 qualified prospects with interest, and "sell" 25. Often, that was an unhealthy mix of JUCO's with varying eligibility leading to unbalanced class sizes and "experience holes" in the roster...e.g. not backfilling your safety or LB numbers 2 years before you would lose your top 3 guys at a position. Our current staff is still working through a few of those issues, but they have done a far better job of roster management.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back