• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Spots left and target positions after CJ commit

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do we round out this class? Obviously another OL and DT is in the works with Hobbi and Mickey, but after that what are we looking at? I have no idea how many spots we have left? DE, LB, WR, and TE?

How do we round out this class? Obviously another OL and DT is in the works with Hobbi and Mickey, but after that what are we looking at? I have no idea how many spots we have left? DE, LB, WR, and TE?

Take a look at HiO's and FLAS's posts that are stickied at the top. They monitor that every year and give their best guesses.

or goto the thread on the recruiting page of sean callahan on big red wrap up and watch it. he tells us what we are looking at. does that help

Based on 16 current commits and the guru's estimations of how many spots we are going to take (est 21-25), we are somewhat open on what we can still take. Many believe Hobbi is the #1 guy left on our board, and RR said the other day he believes Givens-Price is ours if we lose out on Hobbi. I would like to see us pursue Mickey Johnson just as hard as Hobbi and Peat not too far behind him as it seems he could be an inside/outside guy on the line based on his quickness, which would be nice to have that flexibility. Getting Jackson probably puts Lyons as even further of a stretch and N2FL thinks he's a huge stretch to begin with. I would think we would be pursuing at least 1, if not 2, more DEs even if we are able to pull MJ. I also think we need to grab a LB, WR and/or TE.

So wish list: 17: Hobbi, 18: MJ, 19/20: DEs, 21: LB, 22: TE, maybe 23: WR. I know HIO said he could maybe see us taking a full 25 this class and working the bugs out later, but I wonder if Bo wants to push the issue that far considering we have room for basically 19/20 depending on what happens with Heard. Like its been said many times, the number crunching is fun and I'm glad we have all the people on this board we do who are so willing to keep the overall picture in perspective.

Hobbi I think we have a better than avereage chance to land....he really likes Nebraska, is excited at the thought of playing with with our other O-line commits....distance may be a factor, but we shall see....

Landing a TE and LB are paramount in my opinion too....

IMHO, the biggest need at this point is 1 or 2 quality DE's. Then a TE followed by another LB. The rest of the spots may go to specific people instead of by position. Big Red can be very selective with the remaining slots.

TE of the future? Bubba Starling. Nothing like a 6-6 4.3 second tight end to give defensive coordinators nightmares. to tall for a corner or safety and to fast for a linebacker or a safety :)

TE of the future? Bubba Starling. Nothing like a 6-6 4.3 second tight end to give defensive coordinators nightmares. to tall for a corner or safety and to fast for a linebacker or a safety :)

Nobody in the history of football has ever been too fast to play linebacker or safety. Better suited for another position, perhaps, but if a guy otherwise has the skill set to play linebacker (size, tackling ability, toughness) there is no amount of speed that would make him unsuitable for the position. Same with safety.

per Sean Callahan on BRWU, here's what we are still looking to fill:

2 DL
1 CB>>>>>>Charles Jackson!!
1 LB
1 OL
1 WR or TE

We have 2 projected available scholarships left, assuming Heard qualifies.

Per Callahan here, we would be 'oversigning' by 3. Sounds about right. Always likely to see a few transfer/medical or NQ in the class.

A couple of things to remember about the numbers.

We currently have 16 recruits. However, don't forget that Marsh greyshirted and counts towards this class and Baptiste was basically an add-on to last year. That gives us realistically 18 recruits this year. Don't forget that Heard still has not qualified as well.

The conventional wisdom is 4 more at least and perhaps 5 (if the right guys land). That would put us around 22-23. I wouldn't be surprised if we took another player or two depending on how things wrap up, but 23 seems to be the conventional number.

Every year, people always underestimate how many we will take because they are not aware of how many medicals there might be and of possible defections. There are a few academic issues amongst the pledges, but realistically, they all could qualify so that is another factor as well.

The best way to get an idea of the number is to watch very carefully for any late offers, remaining visits, and attention given to certain recruits. In other words, watch the coaches. It amazes me how often people forget to do that. If you see another LB offered, for example, that is a pretty good indication that the staff is either looking for a linebacker or there is a non-specific spot available that they think the LB could fill.

1 TE - Darien Bryant just visited and is a top priority. This class cannot be considered a 100% success without a TE.
1 or 2 DE - There are just too many good DE's on the board to think that this isn't a priority. LB Max Pirlman is visiting for Kansas, but he is being recruited as a DE. Very telling. Also don't forget, Jalen Grimble is still out there.
1 LB - Things have been quiet on this front. I don't see us turning down Juco Dexter Moody under any circumstances. Also keep in mind that Michael Rose is already verballed for 2012 and he could be a guy who could contribute early. That could affect the thinking on this year's LB recruiting.
1 DT? - Mickey Johnson is still in the mix. This tells me that another DT wouldn't hurt the coaches feelings. Question, if not Mickey, are any other DT's being pursued? Perhaps Mickey is a non-specific position target. We are otherwise solid at DT.
1 WR? - Would we turn down Patrick Onwuasor? Are their any other WRs being pursued?
1 OL? - Is Hobbi a non-specific position target? What about Mordi-Price?
1 S - I have heard we are still interested in getting one more safety. Who would it be? Wayne Lyons is the obvious first choice, but he is considered a hard catch. Who else is there? Could Davie move to safety if someone like Onwausor verbals?

23 is probably a pretty safe bet at this point. But you never know.

Last edited:

We currently have 16 recruits. However, don't forget that Marsh greyshirted and counts towards this class and Baptiste was basically an add-on to last year. That gives us realistically 18 recruits this year. Don't forget that Heard still has not qualified as well.

I have Baptiste and Marsh both counting against the 2010 class. Marsh was a probable greyshirt, but with Heard not qualifying out of the chute, there was room.

Unless you have a link that says otherwise?

OK, I see Marsh is not on the roster. I wonder when that decision was made? I didn't catch it. Thanks HIOkie.

I'll go back and recheck my numbers, but that should mean we only have 84 on schollie and the same #.

IMHO, the biggest need at this point is 1 or 2 quality DE's. Then a TE followed by another LB. The rest of the spots may go to specific people instead of by position. Big Red can be very selective with the remaining slots.

I posted this about a week ago that we could use at least 1 DE, and I would even take 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back