• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Sports Illustrated - "uncommittable offers"

You’ve got to be kidding? 422 offers is a gross example of a system that is broken. At the very least it becomes a joke that an athlete got an ‘offer’ from Nebraska. This year damn nearly everybody got an offer. We know it’s not a scholarship offer. It’s a publicity stunt. Nebraska and every institution of higher learning that is scatter-shooting offers should strive to do better. Plus if you think NU isnt leveraging the recruiting landscape like the big boys in the SEC and B1G, then I’ve got some ownership opportunities on a bridge in Brooklyn for you.
Kidding...nope.

Is there "We only have three spots filled, so the first three to commit is who we are going to take" happening. Certainly. Is there anything wrong with that? Absolutely not. If that happens to be between 30 recruits for that position, as long as it is being communicated correctly to them, there is no problem with that. Plus, this staff has given us absolutely no reason to believe that are not telling the recruits what they have to do to have the offer committable...which "means this offer is contingent upon". Again, no problem with that. That is expected to be for every recruit. If those are examples of "bait and switch", then like I said in my first post in this thread: a person can never say the right thing to the wrong person.

There's a difference between recruiting to a program that is established and winning consistently and recruiting to a program that is being rebuilt in pretty much all areas. Down the road, there won't be as many offers from Nebraska once things in the program have turned around.

Ask RB Ronald Thompkins how the staff handled his recruitment this year after he committed to Nebraska and then shortly after blew his knee out. If I can recall correctly, and I might have some challenges with this since I am a kool-aid drinking college football worshiper, Ronald Thompkins signed with this class. Ask Dedrick Mills why his commitment was close to not being a signature. I wonder if the contingent aspect of him being academically eligible had anything to do with it. Ask Desmond Bland, MPG, Thomas Grayson, and any others about their offers and commitments. I'll be waiting for the ole "bait and switch" proof from what you find out. But it's a lot like that bridge you want to sell...it doesn't exist.

And about that bridge. Sounds like you are going to need to cast a bigger net as I'm not interested in it. By the way, thanks for the offer.

Maybe its the lawyer in me, but an uncommittable offer is not actually an offer. Maybe the rule should be that a kid can sign right away when they receive an offer, otherwise its just a big dance. Allowing the kid to sign immediately would seem to benefit everyone involved. The schools know who they have and who is just stringing them along. The kids know they actually have a plan and can close down the recruiting process. I have no idea if this would benefit or hurt the Huskers.​
For the most part, I agree, but then the problem will be that a lot of students would sign early on, and later realize that they have better offers. Enough of that happens, and it basically becomes another (younger) market for "transfers," even if they never actually set foot on the campus where they've signed to go. People won't like that scenario, so then we'll try to "improve" it again in some other way.

If you really wanted to do what's best for the students, let them go on more visits when they're younger that aren't the same as the current "official" visit, but which won't cost them the travel expenses, etc. If you read the article, that's really what a lot of coaches are trying to anyway by extending an offer in the hopes of getting the recruit to attend a camp.

Another thing that would help the student-athlete is to require that all scholarships be 4-year scholarships. Also, if a school drops below a certain level of scholarship athletes graduating (or at least being on course to graduate if they go pro early), they should lose some scholarships. If you really want to change the way the SEC does shady things, that would be a good starting point.

The smart kid will identify the commitable offers versus the non-commitable and plan accordingly.
I agree, but I also think that that is part of the problem: We have a lot of high school athletes who don't know how to navigate the system, and there aren't always good mentoring adults in their lives to help them through it. I admire the two coaches mentioned for speaking out about how their players had been mistreated. Naming and shaming would probably go a long way towards putting pressure on the worst offenders to tone it down.

I was hoping to hear Coach Frost talk about using the ol' bait & switch during his presser today but I seemed to have missed it. Anybody? ;)

I got a great idea. You have 22 available scholarships? You make 22 offers. Fixed.

:Sarcastic:

Last edited:
Sure, but you can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking your head up a bull's ass, but wouldn't you rather take a butcher's word for it?:Banana:

Hey, I'll tell you what. You can get a good look at a butcher's ass by sticking your head up there. But, wouldn't you rather to take his word for it?

No, what I mean is, you can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking your head up a butcher's ass... No, wait. It's gotta be your bull.

You’ve got to be kidding? 422 offers is a gross example of a system that is broken. At the very least it becomes a joke that an athlete got an ‘offer’ from Nebraska. This year damn nearly everybody got an offer. We know it’s not a scholarship offer. It’s a publicity stunt. Nebraska and every institution of higher learning that is scatter-shooting offers should strive to do better. Plus if you think NU isnt leveraging the recruiting landscape like the big boys in the SEC and B1G, then I’ve got some ownership opportunities on a bridge in Brooklyn for you.
The other thing is ... show me who was harmed by having 422 offers. Did someone accept an offer and we later recanted on it? Did someone count on that scholarship only to have it disappear?

The early signing period, restrictions on official visits, countless number of football camps ... all work in favor of the athlete.

An athlete who commits and then subsequently de-commits ... should there be some ownership and responsibility assigned to him? Could that action tie up a scholarship that could've been accepted by someone else?

"The system" could be better but "the system" has improved from the '80s, '90s and '00s.

Kidding...nope.

Is there "We only have three spots filled, so the first three to commit is who we are going to take" happening. Certainly. Is there anything wrong with that? Absolutely not. If that happens to be between 30 recruits for that position, as long as it is being communicated correctly to them, there is no problem with that. Plus, this staff has given us absolutely no reason to believe that are not telling the recruits what they have to do to have the offer committable...which "means this offer is contingent upon". Again, no problem with that. That is expected to be for every recruit. If those are examples of "bait and switch", then like I said in my first post in this thread: a person can never say the right thing to the wrong person.

There's a difference between recruiting to a program that is established and winning consistently and recruiting to a program that is being rebuilt in pretty much all areas. Down the road, there won't be as many offers from Nebraska once things in the program have turned around.

Ask RB Ronald Thompkins how the staff handled his recruitment this year after he committed to Nebraska and then shortly after blew his knee out. If I can recall correctly, and I might have some challenges with this since I am a kool-aid drinking college football worshiper, Ronald Thompkins signed with this class. Ask Dedrick Mills why his commitment was close to not being a signature. I wonder if the contingent aspect of him being academically eligible had anything to do with it. Ask Desmond Bland, MPG, Thomas Grayson, and any others about their offers and commitments. I'll be waiting for the ole "bait and switch" proof from what you find out. But it's a lot like that bridge you want to sell...it doesn't exist.

And about that bridge. Sounds like you are going to need to cast a bigger net as I'm not interested in it. By the way, thanks for the offer.

Thompkins is an example of this "bait and switch" technique.

Kidding...nope.

If you are going to proclaim that in general Power 5 CFB recruiting and specifically NU recruiting is some type of benevolent, compassionate undertaking, then there is really no help for you. Go check with all of the transfers in the past year. Check with Greg Bell after he decides NU isn’t for him and see how he feels when Frost and Moos blocked him going to Oregon St. How petty. It’s what have you done lately and if you can’t cut it under Frost you will be gone. Do I need to tally up all of the transfers?

Face it. The recruiting circus in collegiate football and basketball is long overdue for major reform. The NCAA has done a few things with signing and contact dates. And the recent new transfer rules (and portal) are a welcoming addition for players who may not thrive under an autonomous coach or didn’t find the right match in recruiting.

Frankly Frost should save those 4 remaining Scollies for the walk-Ons. If there ever there was a bait and switch idea permeating through CFB and NU that is it. The odds of the high majority of those walk-ons ever getting financial aid from NU is very low. Compared to playing on a full ride at a smaller school it’s a no-brainer. They will understand when the loans come due. Unless, of course your father is Kurt Warner then you are set for life.

Kudos for Frost getting a good class. Hope those kids all stay in school and get a good education and they win a few games along the way. And the NCAA cleans up the recruiting mess ASAP. 400+ offers is just comical.

If you are going to proclaim that in general Power 5 CFB recruiting and specifically NU recruiting is some type of benevolent, compassionate undertaking, then there is really no help for you. Go check with all of the transfers in the past year. Check with Greg Bell after he decides NU isn’t for him and see how he feels when Frost and Moos blocked him going to Oregon St. How petty. It’s what have you done lately and if you can’t cut it under Frost you will be gone. Do I need to tally up all of the transfers?

Face it. The recruiting circus in collegiate football and basketball is long overdue for major reform. The NCAA has done a few things with signing and contact dates. And the recent new transfer rules (and portal) are a welcoming addition for players who may not thrive under an autonomous coach or didn’t find the right match in recruiting.

Frankly Frost should save those 4 remaining Scollies for the walk-Ons. If there ever there was a bait and switch idea permeating through CFB and NU that is it. The odds of the high majority of those walk-ons ever getting financial aid from NU is very low. Compared to playing on a full ride at a smaller school it’s a no-brainer. They will understand when the loans come due. Unless, of course your father is Kurt Warner then you are set for life.

Kudos for Frost getting a good class. Hope those kids all stay in school and get a good education and they win a few games along the way. And the NCAA cleans up the recruiting mess ASAP. 400+ offers is just comical.

OMG. You cant be serious. First of all with the "if you cant cut it with Frost you will be gone". Welcome to Division 1 football snowflake. First off these guys werent kicked off the team, they quit. Frost didnt make them leave, they decided on their own this program wasnt for them and left on their own free will. That is how it works. When you start tallying transfers how about you only count the ones that were made to leave.

Are there things that need to be changed about recruiting? Yes, but the things you mention here are mostly unrealistic and not effective either. There is no requirement to playing a college sport, so if you dont like the way things are done nobody is making you do it.

Yes the odds of a walk on getting a scholarship is not good, and they know that. You know it, I know it, they know it, and Mom and Dad know it. They make a decision for themselves based on that and they dont need someone feeling sorry for them. Apparently its not a no brainer for them and they want to chase their dreams even if it isnt the best decision for them financially. That is non of your or my business. I take it you are one of those people that think they need to make decisions for other people because you understand things they dont. I think you should move along and not follow big time college sports as a hobby, things will never be done like you want it because your way will result in total failure.

There are many people on here that have been involved in recruiting whether that be for themselves or their kids, myself included. I think you will be very hard pressed to find a single one of them that have actually experienced this that would agree with most of what you are saying.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back