• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Sports Illustrated - "uncommittable offers"

I was surprised, not in a good way, how high we were on the list.

I am hoping we are handling interest in a recruit in an honest upfront way. Basically if we offer that there is a clear understanding of how long the offer is good for, and what not committing by that time frame means for the recruit. I am nowhere near close enough to know how these are handled.

Just to be clear, Nebraska is high on the list for total offers. I doubt there's a list of uncommitable offers since that sort of thing is rarely publicized.

At IMG, Wright educates his players about the scholarship offer process. He tells them to ask the offering coach three questions: 1) Is it committable now? 2) How many guys have you offered at my position? 3) Where am I in the ranking of them? “You always ask, ‘Can I commit right now?’” Wright says. “If the answer is no, it’s like a Like on social media—they just like you.” In one of the worst cases he can remember, an IMG senior started his season with five Power 5 offers, only to be left with one at season’s end. Coaches from that remaining school backed out of their offer just before the player planned to commit, days before the start of the early signing period. Their justification: They found a junior college quarterback at the last minute.

I was surprised, not in a good way, how high we were on the list.

I am hoping we are handling interest in a recruit in an honest upfront way. Basically if we offer that there is a clear understanding of how long the offer is good for, and what not committing by that time frame means for the recruit. I am nowhere near close enough to know how these are handled.

Just read the article. I was a little surprised that Nebraska was that high on the list, I think they were 3, but I wasn't surprised they were in the top 10. Lets face it Nebraska at this point has to cast a large and wide net to get recruits. When the winning starts the offer list will probably go down some, but I wouldn't expect it to go down that much. Our remote location also lends itself to more offers.

The idea of an "offer" that can't be accepted or acted upon strikes me as odd... but this is the world of recruiting.

To be clear, I get the concept of only taking X number of players at a given spot... and in that case, an unaccepted offer could be revoked at some point if someone else fills the spot. But offering someone who is never given the opportunity to accept really isn't much of an offer.

The Sports Illustrated article on non-committable offers is NOT flattering to NU. We have offered 422 scholarships for the current recruiting cycle, among the highest is the country. Tenn and Syracuse are right up there with us.

Makes us look like throwing s*** against the wall to what sticks.

We have to recruit nationally, and to do that we have to throw out a lot of offers to find players that want to come here. It's not like we only have to offer the best 2-3 players in a state like Alabama or tOSU can do, we may have to offer 15 to be able to find someone interested.

https://www.si.com/college-football/2019/02/05/uncommittable-offers-recruiting-national-signing-day

The Volunteers lead all major college programs in offers over this eight-year stretch (328 per year), followed by Louisville (323), Kentucky (291), Ole Miss (290) and Illinois (283). Rounding out the top 10 are Mississippi State (278), Nebraska (270), Indiana (268), Syracuse (254) and West Virginia (251). There’s a reason the sport’s bluebloods are missing from the top 10. The schools passing out the most and earliest offers are typically secondary programs in competitive conferences.

Last edited:
This is actually a big nothing burger. UNL offers a lot because there are not a lot of kids in state. So they send out a lot of early commits to see who is interested. They know many will not get beyond the stage of an offer. They send out a ton just to say who really reciprocates the interest. That does not mean they are false. Before you find the perfect bull you have to look at the whole heard.

This is actually a big nothing burger. UNL offers a lot because there are not a lot of kids in state. So they send out a lot of early commits to see who is interested. They know many will not get beyond the stage of an offer. They send out a ton just to say who really reciprocates the interest. That does not mean they are false. Before you find the perfect bull you have to look at the whole heard.

Heifer's too?

Maybe its the lawyer in me, but an uncommittable offer is not actually an offer. Maybe the rule should be that a kid can sign right away when they receive an offer, otherwise its just a big dance. Allowing the kid to sign immediately would seem to benefit everyone involved. The schools know who they have and who is just stringing them along. The kids know they actually have a plan and can close down the recruiting process. I have no idea if this would benefit or hurt the Huskers.​

Maybe its the lawyer in me, but an uncommittable offer is not actually an offer. Maybe the rule should be that a kid can sign right away when they receive an offer, otherwise its just a big dance. Allowing the kid to sign immediately would seem to benefit everyone involved. The schools know who they have and who is just stringing them along. The kids know they actually have a plan and can close down the recruiting process. I have no idea if this would benefit or hurt the Huskers.​
I think it would hurt the Huskers but who knows. You’d think colleges would be much more cognizant of who they offer and how many offers are out, if players could commit to them immediately. The top programs would benefit though because kids might just commit on the spot, without really thinking t through. Nebraska has fared better when kids visit and see what it is really like. That wouldn’t happen as often if guys could commit right away to the other big schools.

Signing immediately was Bo Pelini’s idea to try to eliminate much of the nonsense on both sides. His idea never got much traction though.

Maybe its the lawyer in me, but an uncommittable offer is not actually an offer.​
I agree it is not an offer, and the current system does not make sense. NU could tell kids early we really really like you, SF will text you daily, but not offer unless it was committable. As a rule change, offers could sunset after a set period — a week, a month, something in between.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back