• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Special Teams

BigRedOhio

Travel Squad
10 Year Member
Special teams cost us this game. No way of getting around it. The punt return for a TD was inexcusable and completely cost us the game. At what point is this coaching staff going to realize how much this is costing them. Total choke and an unnecessary loss for not doing the little things right. We deserved this loss.

We didn't "deserve" this loss. We made one huge mistake. We're unranked, lightly regarded, and we vastly outplayed this team despite the fact we were on the road. Their stud running back who averaged over eight yards a carry, and who was just "killer" getting yards after contact, didn't do squat to our defense. We intercepted a QB who had no interceptions this year. For the most part, we did very well. I'm not going to do the "rending-of-garments, bust out the sack cloth and ashes" dance.

Last edited:

We lost 256 yards of field position on special teams today. Anyone still think we outplayed them now? We actually lose the total offense category if you factor in punts and kickoffs.

We didn't "deserve" this loss. We made one huge mistake. We're unranked, lightly regarded, and we vastly outplayed this team despite the fact we were on the road. Their stud running back who averaged over eight yards a carry, and who was just "killer" getting yards after contact, didn't do squat to our defense. We intercepted a QB who had no interceptions this year. For the most part, we did very well. I'm not going to do the "rending-of-garments, bust out the sack cloth and ashes" dance.
We totally deserved this loss. Special teams counts just as much as offense and defense. Outgained by 256 yards in special teams today. That’s the only reason the score was close.

Someone needs to tell our coaches they're using the wrong definition of "Special" when they design our special teams.

;)

Last edited:

We lost 256 yards of field position on special teams today. Anyone still think we outplayed them now? We actually lose the total offense category if you factor in punts and kickoffs.
Uh, yes we outplayed them on defense. Our inconsistent and sometimes inept offense outplayed them as well.

Special teams, for whatever reason remains our Achilles heal. We were outplayed on special teams. Unfortunately, due to our inconsistent offense, failure in the ST facet is more often than not fatal to our ability to win.

I posted this in another thread.

They worked on one ST play for "weeks". We can't even figure out how to consistently field a punt or kick a football.

MSU worked on our punter being a bonehead and kicking to the wrong side of the field for weeks? That's a heckuva decoy play.

Guess you didn't read the article.

I read the article.

Trailing by 7 in the game’s final minutes, the Huskers punted the ball back to the Spartans. The problem? Nebraska’s punt defense went the wrong way. Michigan State had two returners back deep, and it fooled the Huskers. While Nebraska went right, the ball went left and into the arms of star receiver Jayden Reed. He did the rest, easily taking the ball to the house and tying the game.

From what I understand . . . MSU didn't fool/decoy NU. The punt was supposed to go to the right from the get-go. The coverage was set to the right, the punter rolled right and was supposed to kick to the right side of the field . . . and the punt went left by mistake.

Now if you want to give MSU credit for having 2 return men back (something that isn't really all that unusual) and they benefitted from NU's UNspecial teams and the punter doing the opposite of what he was specifically instructed to do, that's fine. But the article makes it sound like MSU suckered the NU into the return. From what I understand, the punter just screwed up and YOLO'd it to the wrong side of the field.

Nebraska coach Scott Frost said punter Daniel Cerni was supposed to kick it to the other side of the field.

“We have guys at the university specifically for the reason to punt it,” Frost said. “And we had a couple of 10-yard punts that almost cost us, and right when we needed it the most we kicked it to the wrong side of the field. Some of the coverage guys didn’t see it and it cost us the game.”

I read the article.

Trailing by 7 in the game’s final minutes, the Huskers punted the ball back to the Spartans. The problem? Nebraska’s punt defense went the wrong way. Michigan State had two returners back deep, and it fooled the Huskers. While Nebraska went right, the ball went left and into the arms of star receiver Jayden Reed. He did the rest, easily taking the ball to the house and tying the game.

From what I understand . . . MSU didn't fool/decoy NU. The punt was supposed to go to the right from the get-go. The coverage was set to the right, the punter rolled right and was supposed to kick to the right side of the field . . . and the punt went left by mistake.

Now if you want to give MSU credit for having 2 return men back (something that isn't really all that unusual) and they benefitted from NU's UNspecial teams and the punter doing the opposite of what he was specifically instructed to do, that's fine. But the article makes it sound like MSU suckered the NU into the return. From what I understand, the punter just screwed up and YOLO'd it to the wrong side of the field.

Nebraska coach Scott Frost said punter Daniel Cerni was supposed to kick it to the other side of the field.

“We have guys at the university specifically for the reason to punt it,” Frost said. “And we had a couple of 10-yard punts that almost cost us, and right when we needed it the most we kicked it to the wrong side of the field. Some of the coverage guys didn’t see it and it cost us the game.”

We definitely should get an assist on that play. Our incompetence was a key factor in that play succeeding.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back