• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Special Teams thougths?

I didn't see anything that would say we have a clue on this part of the game.

Start second half, why not at least pooch kick to the left. don't you think Iowa, and really any high school team would have gone over this pooch right at half?

At least put a wrinkle and kick to the other side, might get somebody leaning or leaving early since we went that side everytime.

Punting seemed to suck

Punt Return......that fumble sure sucked.

Screw this learn how to win and not lose theory....that don't count anymore.

where the hell do we go from here?

is there a w left in the schedule for this year?

What’s to think about? Just as big of a train wreck as the offense and defense. Still the only team in D1 and I believe D2 that can’t find a kicker that can kick it into the end zone.
Maybe next year. :Bananalazy:

Special teams is just 1 of the 4 facets of this game we lost: Offense, Defense, Special Teams & Coaching.

Now 6 in row. Sickening.

We are a poorly coached, bad team so we will find a way to lose. Today the not-so-special teams stepped up to do their part.

Special teams is an area that teams that are trying to climb the ranks can steal yards and points but it is seemingly an afterthought for us. Glad we got the analyst but we need a bigger commitment to being good in this area. It has cost us over and over. Last week's punt return blunder threw all the momentum toward Illinois when we had a chance to get it on our side. The biggest difference between Nebraska and Iowa today was special teams.

I think we need an actual special teams coach. At this point, the OL has stunk for three years. Austin seems to recruit well but his unit has routinely underperformed. Those are two changes I think need to be made for next year. That's not necessarily an exhaustive list.

Last edited:
I didn't understand all of the pooch kicks today. We basically handed them the ball at no worse than than the 30 yard line almost every time we kicked off. Between that and the poor punting, our defense was operating at a distinct disadvantage all day long. I thought they held up pretty well overall.

This would be a pretty good defense with a consistent offense and competent ST play.....

Last edited:
Nothing Special......Just same as the rest of the team...inconsistent. But on the bright side it is predictable and nothing surprising

Pooch kicks, even in high school, are the waiving of the white flag saying we’re not going to put any effort into this nor are we going to put great athletes out there to cover these kicks. We obviously cannot put the ball in the end zone so rather than kick it to the ten, let’s say, and put some dudes out there to blowup your return and pin you inside the 25, were just going to pooch it to the 35 at the numbers on the right.......the whole game.

Last edited:
We basically handed them the ball at no worse than than the 30 yard line almost every time we kicked off. Between that and the poor punting, our defense was operating at a distinct disadvantage all day long. I thought they held up pretty well overall.

This was in my opinion, the deciding factor of this ball game. I haven’t seen a stat on what the starting field position was, but it was THE advantage. The defense did their job today.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back